Clyde vs Albion Rovers

Most important thing today was the 3 pets, ok it wasn't pretty but I will take it. I would much rather play bad and still win as opposed to playing pretty football and dropping points at this point in the season. We were severely hampered today with so many players missing and others playing out of position, positive thing is DL and AM have instilled that winning mentality which may just get us over the line.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bit of a slog today but delighted to put another 3 points on the board.

i think having no fit forwards impacted the whole team. Boyle can’t play up front (as we saw earlier in the season) and playing Fitzpatrick was a really odd decision. Expecting McNiff to perform a wing back role was also odd. He simply looked like a centre half playing as a wing back. 

There is no doubt that we stuck out a make shift team and just about got away with it. I think if it was any other team in the league we would have dropped points.  We made too many basic errors. 

Rovers could have sneaked a point if they took advantage of one or two decent opportunities. In truth though, Clyde deserved to win as we created more but convincing it wasn’t. 

I have to say, and I don’t intent to be patronising, that Rovers were not as bad as I thought they might be. They were better than when we played them earlier in the season (also 1-0). Berwick aren’t that far away ! 

It was exactly as I expected it to be today. I honestly don’t think we can underestimate how important that result was today.  I agree that we were fortunate that it was Albion Rovers we were playing today, but still had to win with a team no way resembling our strongest.

Testimony to the spirit Lennon and Moore have brought to this group of players. No way in this world would previous squads have got anywhere near this result today or in the last month given our current circumstances (and I don’t just mean Goodwillie’s injury) 

Another week nearer said  Goodwillie returning, honestly,  picking up the points we have done without him is very pleasing, a fit Goodwillie  in the next couple of weeks is like two players returning. No doubt others may think this is a childish statement but such is the influence on the way we play, that is exactly what he is at this level. 

Yep

McNiff did look like a centre half fish out of a left wing-back water. WTF were we thinking unless we we were down to the bare bones? If Rumsby was fit enough to be on the bench why play an awkward back 3 and then make 2 changes when Cogs was replaced? If Lyons merits a semi perminant bench place why can't he assume a 1st choice role in such an emergency?

By letting the worst team in the league into the game we got out of jail. No-one could have complained if Rovers stole a draw with that 2nd half show. 

Defence clear their lines, mid field create the advantageous imbalance in our favour and attack take their chances..simples

Don't really get this we got out of jail stuff and rovers deserved a point We had plenty of chances so you could easily turn it around to rovers we lucky to get away with a 1 0 I thought we played ok and well deserved the win you could say we were a bit slack at in defencs but we dudnt conceed
Rovers much improved and give them their due never gave up The chance where the player was right though and tried to lob the goalie probably sums up one big problem for them and that's scoring goals .Not our best performance but sometimes you do enough to win a game Fitzpatrick did well for his first game and could have scored all for a terrific save from the goalie
As said another game down till DGW returns
For the rovers hopefully green shoots of recovery and a performance they can build hope they stay up this season

Not the best performance. but 3 points is the most important thing at this stage of the season,

Biggest plus for me apart from the points, was the boy Banks, looked confident , lively and direct. Just what we're needing.

Hopefully he gets a start next week.

Clyde were by far the better team, and deserved the 3 points. We were able to get a win with no strikers in the team. 

Fitzpatrick was a centre back playing up front, and looked like it. Having said that he ran himself into the ground and kept chasing everything. He reminded me of when we had McQueen up front for a while a few years ago.

Nicoll is probably done for the year with his collar bone which is a pity as he will be missed. McStay I thought had a poor game and could have been pulled at half time.

Albion continued to harry us throughout the game- no lack of effort on their part, but they just did not have the quality. Our midfielders were constantly under pressure from 2 or even 3 of their players.

Good result- adequate performance.

Think the criticism of McStay is pretty harsh & it seems he has been made an easy target from supporters. Credit to the lad for consistently wanting on the ball & not hiding after misplacing a few passes. Others would have vanished or only wanted the ball when they were in acres of space. I like McStay & think he’s a cracking player albeit yesterday wasn’t his best of performances but that’s due to expecting so much because of what he’s shown over the last year & the ability he has. 

Banks looked lively & it was good to see him running directly at players. Still very raw as would be expected for a player at that age but I can see him developing under Lennon & playing a big part in deciding who ends up with the trophy come May. 

Great to see Lamont grab a goal and hopefully that can give him the confidence to grab a few more in the upcoming matches. 

On to Hampden we go...

Tom Lang got voted as Man of the Match on the club website, deary me.
I thought he played ok Saturday had a few slack moments but looks to be a top class centre back it would be hard to pick a MoM for Saturday to be honest it's the members who pick it
I would have picked Cuddhy

Archived