Club Licencing

10 hours ago, Anychance said:

No I get all that it just doesn’t sit right with me that instead of investing in your own facilities you just go to the nearest ground that does have the criteria and ask to share

Do you think the club owning the ground lets the other use it for free? They'll be charging a decent rent to cover their costs. Money the groundsharing club can't invest in their own facilities.

There are clubs that frankly are taking the piss with groundsharing distances away from their "traditional" locations, but I really don't have an issue with groundsharing as long as clubs have secure tenencies. Land is expensive and finite and it really doesn't make sense to have a ground (particularly one with an artificial pitch) stand idle every other Saturday.

Ideally, every club would own their own ground, but pragmatically, that's not really feasible. Many rent long term from other sources (councils, trusts) anyway.

Edited by Cyclizine

12 hours ago, Anychance said:

So if they fall out with stenny and get kicked out do they lose there license 

don’t really agree with ground sharing to get your licence 

however Edinburgh south should just go for it with Dalkeith 

I think Edinburgh South's ground share with Dalkeith is finished now.

I'm also against ground sharing on a grass pitch. 

2 hours ago, Cyclizine said:

Do you think the club owning the ground lets the other use it for free? They'll be charging a decent rent to cover their costs. Money the groundsharing club can't invest in their own facilities.

There are clubs that frankly are taking the piss with groundsharing distances away from their "traditional" locations, but I really don't have an issue with groundsharing as long as clubs have secure tenencies. Land is expensive and finite and it really doesn't make sense to have a ground (particularly one with an artificial pitch) stand idle every other Saturday.

Ideally, every club would own their own ground, but pragmatically, that's not really feasible. Many rent long term from other sources (councils, trusts) anyway.

11 hours ago, parsforlife said:

1. There is absolutely nothing about licensing over how old the club is? (Can’t be arsed trawling the document out, maybe possibly a year or so submitted accounts being the biggest hurdle)

2.  Getting licensed has a hell of a lot more than the ground you play at.  Which is why there are several clubs who played out of grounds that meet licencing requirements but don’t have a license.

3. It’s not easy or free to just call nearest licensed Club and ask to use the ground.

4. There’s absolutely inherently nothing wrong with ground sharing, especially on plastic pitches.

like i said its all above board and i get everyone's points its just not for me  

i know the process really well as im involved so i understand what it is costing my club the most to achieve it 

14 minutes ago, Anychance said:

like i said its all above board and i get everyone's points its just not for me  

i know the process really well as im involved so i understand what it is costing my club the most to achieve it 

Any news of clubs going for a licence in due course next time round?

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, _FFC1876 said:

I read in an article a few months ago that the plan was to return to Grangemouth, however the impression I got was that they were looking for a new place to play and would not be returning to Grangemouth Stadium. I’m wondering now though if they’ll stay at Ochilview as that’s a ground that meets licensing criteria and not sure if Grangemouth Stadium or any other venue in the area would be suitable for a licensed club.

I haven't been in the stadium in about 20 years so can't comment what its like. With grounds like Caledonian Braves, Bonnyton and Gartcairn you would imagine something could be done at little kerse, although I believe there was a previous falling out there. 

10 minutes ago, _FFC1876 said:

Does the full list of newly licensed clubs get released in the SFA’s AGM? Have not seen anything about it yet.

Publicly they keep a pdf list of licensed clubs. The link can be found in this section https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/scottish-fa/football-governance/club-licensing/

It was most recently updated on the 20th June. Doesn't yet include the new members. Although it does have minor updates like the OG Broomhill name change, EoS lower divisions split into 1st & 2nd, and BoD as a Highland League side.

It usually gets updated only a monthly/bi monthly basis.

1 hour ago, _FFC1876 said:

Does the full list of newly licensed clubs get released in the SFA’s AGM? Have not seen anything about it yet.

Ever since Kelty and LTHV were announced as full members with a press release, there's basically been nothing from the SFA regarding new members, all the info comes from the clubs.

11 hours ago, Ginaro said:

Ever since Kelty and LTHV were announced as full members with a press release, there's basically been nothing from the SFA regarding new members, all the info comes from the clubs.

If I remember correctly, we only found out about the license for LTHV on here when they were included in the Scottish Cup draw. Although I've been to the Kelty v LTHV league decider at the end of the 2017/18 season and someone from LTHV I spoke to told me that should they have won the league that they would have been eligible for the promotion play-off, so I guess the SFA already informed them that the license would be fine.

Edited by Marten

3 minutes ago, _FFC1876 said:

Thanks for the reply, shame that they don’t seem to do a release like they used to. Does anyone know the list of clubs that were licensed this year? Have seen the odd social media post but wondered if anyone knew the full set?

Pollok, Benburb, Bonnyton Thistle, Rutherglen Glencairn, and Kilwinning Rangers in the West. 

Lochee United and Tayport in the Midlands. 

Syngenta and St Andrews United in the East. 

Think that's it unless I've forgotten someone. 

• 9 months later...
On 24/06/2022 at 23:50, FairWeatherFan said:

Pollok, Benburb, Bonnyton Thistle, Rutherglen Glencairn, and Kilwinning Rangers in the West. 

Lochee United and Tayport in the Midlands. 

Syngenta and St Andrews United in the East. 

Think that's it unless I've forgotten someone. 

Need an update regarding new 2023 licensed applicants.

Syngenta's situation ?

• 2 months later...

With today's SFA AGM, any newly licensed clubs will formally be accepted as members.

Thus far only Glenafton Athletic in the WOS has confirmed their award. I've seen it suggested elsewhere that Carluke Rovers and Creetown were in line to get their memberships too. 

Glenafton Athletic Official  · 

CLUB STATEMENT

Following the SFA Annual General Meeting that was held at Hampden Park earlier today, we can confirm that Glenafton Athletic have now been granted membership of the SFA.

A representative of the club Steven Kerr (Development Officer) was presented a certificate onstage at the AGM in recognition of the club being granted membership of the SFA, having met entry level licensing requirements.

Achieving our club license not only allows progression within the pyramid system, but it also means the club now have automatic entry into the preliminary rounds of the Scottish Cup starting this season.

Steven Kerr (Development Officer) added:

"Achieving our club license has been a long process, and I would like to once again thank everyone who has assisted with our application. There is probably too many people to mention, but I would like to once again thank Keith Stewart from East Ayrshire Council for the help he has given myself with the application, it is greatly appreciated.

Over the course of the last year, we have made massive improvements to the Loch Park infrastructure which will be of great benefit to the club and community going forwards. Through grant funding we have been able to install 300 LUX LED floodlights, upgrade the Hunter Suite and Pavilion, build a disability shelter, and we also now have a medical room facility as well within the park"

We are sure our supporters will be delighted with this news, and we all look forward to seeing the Glens participate in the Scottish Cup once again.

Edited by Footballfirst

On 03/06/2022 at 07:34, Cyclizine said:

Not many forward looking business’ would want to either tie up their capital or borrow  on long term finance to fund a stadium that’s only used one day every 2 weeks. Then there’s the close season. 
Utilisation of funds could be better invested. It’s all about the ROCE. 
Leasing or sharing is the only way forward. Traditional models of ground ownership have gone. As has happened to many faucets of the sport. Change is the name of the game.

Edited by Man from the East

On 06/06/2023 at 19:51, Man from the East said:

Leasing or sharing is the only way forward. Traditional models of ground ownership have gone. As has happened to many faucets of the sport. Change is the name of the game.

Faucets?

What have you been tapping into?