Club Licencing

People may be familiar with the fact 'University of Stirling' is the name applied the side in the Lowland League but 'Stirling University EOS' is the name used in the East of Scotland League. To avoid confusion.

So if this scenario ever came to pass - maybe the artist formerly known as Linlithgow Thistle could become FC United of Bo'ness EOS... 😎.

Sure, but when the only difference is that one team has the word Junior in their name it becomes a bit silly - they should create their own identity.
The real difference may be down to drive and ambition.

Despite being LL, Bo'ness just plod along without showing any outward signs of ambition.

Whilst the Juniors have shown remarkable and continued ambition to progress.

Or maybe it's just that one are excellent at promoting themselves and links to the community club etc.

12 hours ago, Deanburn Dave said:

...I haven't heard any plans for BUJFC to turn into a reserve team for BUFC. I think that is highly unlikely...

Think that was posted by Stedfast who seems to be linked to BUJFC. Will try to hunt that down at some point. As stated I am definitely not in the loop on this and tend to see this question in line with a slogan from The Highlander. There can only be one.

With the west region moving to the pyramid and the Lithgae Rose tribute act possibly having folded outright the two big selling points they potentially had especially with the more casual few games a season sort of fanbase are not looking as likely to be an ongoing factor as they were when they launched.

Firstly, with Junior Cup runs with games against big clubs from the west like Auchinleck Talbot that BUFC could no longer meet in competitive games, and secondly, derby games that were not necessarily going to happen so often in the pyramid once BUFC could rise beyond LRFC as quickly happened.

Now the clubs from further south in West Lothian that wanted Linlithgow Thistle to join so they could pretend the real BUFC were back and were no doubt hoping fans in Bo'ness would gravitate to them rather than the pyramid version will probably bolt for the EoS over the next few months and leave BUJFC high and dry. 

No idea what that will ultimately mean for BUJFC as a fully separate club. Lots of trips over the Tay Road Bridge, a rebrand and an attempt at EoS entry, or slink back to the Edinburgh amateurs as Bo'ness & Linlithgow Thistle? Time will tell I guess.

Edit: Found the old post in question that is mentioned above.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

13 hours ago, Deanburn Dave said:

The important thing which keeps getting missed is BUFC and BUJFC are two totally different clubs. They both play at Newtown Park .....and they have the same kit supplier but that's as far as the link goes. Different committee, different sponsors etc. There's no reason why the two teams cannot compete against each other in the future.

I haven't heard any plans for BUJFC to turn into a reserve team for BUFC. I think that is highly unlikely.

What will BUJFC be doing three seasons from now ?...... hopefully playing Linlithgow Rose in derby games in tier 6 as the mighty BUFC continue to play at a higher level.

I think there might be some reasons that they couldn’t compete against each other and that might not happen, although I’ve forgot what the reasons were exactly. It was being discussed on here a while back when BUJFC stopped being Linlithgow Thistle amateurs and joined the Juniors, so there might be some posts lying around somewhere that make things clearer.

12 hours ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

I think it's more of a how they seem from the outside if they were called boness thistle I dont think anyone would say much

Yes, as per my above post I think this was discussed a while back and it was suggested that if they sought to eventually join the pyramid in their current guise, their might be some issues with BUJFC not being a separate enough identity.

11 hours ago, Deanburn Dave said:

Agree with you Genaro there was no need for Linlithgow Thistle to choose the name Bo'ness United Junior FC and adopt almost identical strips when they moved their club to Newtown Park.

They could have chosen a name like Bo'ness Bengals (orange/white/black)
Bo'ness Brocks (black with a white stripe)
Bo'ness Beggars (second hand Linlithgow Rose tops)

On a more serious note the BUJFC have a lot of ambition and have strengthened over the last several months. Best of luck to them.

Certainly seems that way. With their main sponsor/funding being NorDan, maybe they’ll eventually move out to their own new flatpack stadium?

10 hours ago, Auld Heid said:

Despite being LL, Bo'ness just plod along without showing any outward signs of ambition.

Or maybe it's just that one are excellent at promoting themselves and links to the community club etc.

“Any outward signs of ambition” :1eye  

Thick, bitter, uneducated and embarrassing drivel as usual from Auld Dunderheid. 😄

I’m sure 100% of BUFC fans are far happier watching “Bo’ness just plod along” in the Lowland League than Linlithgow Rose fans are watching their club in the EOS continually throwing money at mercenaries and seeing their side keep going backwards.

1 hour ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Think that was posted by Stedfast who seems to be linked to BUJFC. Will try to hunt that down at some point. As stated I am definitely not in the loop on this and tend to see this question in line with a slogan from The Highlander. There can only be one.

With the west region moving to the pyramid and the Lithgae Rose tribute act possibly having folded outright the two big selling points they potentially had especially with the more casual few games a season sort of fanbase are not looking as likely to be an ongoing factor as they were when they launched.

Firstly, with Junior Cup runs with games against big clubs from the west like Auchinleck Talbot that BUFC could no longer meet in competitive games, and secondly, derby games that were not necessarily going to happen so often in the pyramid once BUFC could rise beyond LRFC as quickly happened.

Now the clubs from further south in West Lothian that wanted Linlithgow Thistle to join so they could pretend the real BUFC were back and were no doubt hoping fans in Bo'ness would gravitate to them rather than the pyramid version will probably bolt for the EoS over the next few months and leave BUJFC high and dry. 

No idea what that will ultimately mean for BUJFC as a fully separate club. Lots of trips over the Tay Road Bridge, a rebrand and an attempt at EoS entry, or slink back to the Edinburgh amateurs as Bo'ness & Linlithgow Thistle? Time will tell I guess.

Whilst still Linlithgow Thistle Amateurs, I’m sure I read on here that BUJFC had initially approached Linlithgow Rose but the Rose told them to bolt? Unsure. 

As for your “There can only be one” quote from Highlander, I agree with this as it’s caused repeated confusion and skewed discussion on this forum alone as to which side is which. This coupled with the likes of Auld Dunderheid repeatedly referring to BUJFC (Juniors) as “The tribute act” was also the sole reason behind me jokingly referring to BUFC (Lowland) as “Real Bo’ness” but Stedfast from the BUJFC side seemed to take the hump with this for some reason.

Edited by 8MileBU

14 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

I think there might be some reasons that they couldn’t compete against each other and that might not happen, although I’ve forgot what the reasons were exactly. It was being discussed on here a while back when BUJFC stopped being Linlithgow Thistle amateurs and joined the Juniors, so there might be some posts lying around somewhere that make things clearer.

I think i'm misremembering this, but I thought there was a joint statement from the 3 clubs (Senior, Junior, & Community) around the time of the Juniors team rebranding. It was probably just this mission statement from the Juniors that makes references to the other clubs and 'growing the Bo'ness United family'

image.thumb.png.590c619016bda9ce6372848ad746b5fb.png

I

2 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

I think i'm misremembering this, but I thought there was a joint statement from the 3 clubs (Senior, Junior, & Community) around the time of the Juniors team rebranding. It was probably just this mission statement from the Juniors that makes references to the other clubs and 'growing the Bo'ness United family'

image.thumb.png.590c619016bda9ce6372848ad746b5fb.png

I

Who knows - It’s a good mission statement to be fair and ticks all the boxes you’d want to see in a community club set-up/football pathway. 

However, the thing with mission statements is they’re only fit for purpose for so long and subject to change as-and-when required or as ambitions get bigger. 

Since their inception, there have been a few rumours doing the rounds the last couple of seasons, one of which being doubts as to the true extent of BU Juniors ambitions, albeit the rumours (unsurprisingly) seem to have stemmed from Linlithgow-based sources and the alleged reasons that Linlithgow Rose wouldn’t entertain any tie-in with Linlithgow Thistle, hence Thistle moving town and becoming BUJFC. 

21 hours ago, Auld Heid said:

Goes without saying that anyone on here can say or respond as they like and as long as they don’t draw themselves to the attention of the moderators all good! 

But do you practice being an idiot or does it just come naturally. Most of your comments are questionable or laughable and/or maybe you just post to see what reaction you get. I may not like Tranent or Newtongrange that much. I know I made some comments that are negative on both clubs and know fans from these teams have done the same to mine.

But it is laughable for you to suggest that Bo’ness are plodding along. For one, they are in a higher league than Lithgow. In past few years they have grown in strength where your club are on a continued backward step.

I have no doubt that despite an average start to this season, predominately due to draws, Lithgow will not be relegated ( unless they do as you want and pull out of the league).

But if you look at Bo’ness and their position in the league, they have a good chance of promotion, which would put them 2 divisions above your team, if the play-offs go their way.

Sometimes, it is better to say nothing, than type the bull that you normally do.

15 hours ago, 8MileBU said:

Yes, as per my above post I think this was discussed a while back and it was suggested that if they sought to eventually join the pyramid in their current guise, their might be some issues with BUJFC not being a separate enough identity.

Certainly seems that way. With their main sponsor/funding being NorDan, maybe they’ll eventually move out to their own new flatpack stadium?

“Any outward signs of ambition” :1eye  

Thick, bitter, uneducated and embarrassing drivel as usual from Auld Dunderheid. 😄

I’m sure 100% of BUFC fans are far happier watching “Bo’ness just plod along” in the Lowland League than Linlithgow Rose fans are watching their club in the EOS continually throwing money at mercenaries and seeing their side keep going backwards.

Whilst still Linlithgow Thistle Amateurs, I’m sure I read on here that BUJFC had initially approached Linlithgow Rose but the Rose told them to bolt? Unsure. 

As for your “There can only be one” quote from Highlander, I agree with this as it’s caused repeated confusion and skewed discussion on this forum alone as to which side is which. This coupled with the likes of Auld Dunderheid repeatedly referring to BUJFC (Juniors) as “The tribute act” was also the sole reason behind me jokingly referring to BUFC (Lowland) as “Real Bo’ness” but Stedfast from the BUJFC side seemed to take the hump with this for some reason.

There never was nor ever has there been any link between Linlithgow Thistle and Linlithgow Rose. The guy that drove the Thistle is a Boness lad and had a good relationship with the old lead committee at BU and McGonigal. Player loans were common.

Maybe BUJFC will apply to EoS under a different guise. Bo’ness Thistle mentioned? With that would be the end of any relationship (rhetoric or true) with BUFC, where token links have been visible (Kieran Anderson’s appearance for BUJFC for match fitness last season, for example). MoU can be forgotten and they’d be in direct competition both in terms of on the park and financial. With their drive and major sponsorship, who knows where that could go. Does the town need that? Not in my opinion but where do they go?  Interesting next few months to see what direction they choose when, inevitably, the Junior FA crumbles.

10 hours ago, Sure & Stedfast said:

There never was nor ever has there been any link between Linlithgow Thistle and Linlithgow Rose. The guy that drove the Thistle is a Boness lad and had a good relationship with the old lead committee at BU and McGonigal. Player loans were common.

Maybe BUJFC will apply to EoS under a different guise. Bo’ness Thistle mentioned? With that would be the end of any relationship (rhetoric or true) with BUFC, where token links have been visible (Kieran Anderson’s appearance for BUJFC for match fitness last season, for example). MoU can be forgotten and they’d be in direct competition both in terms of on the park and financial. With their drive and major sponsorship, who knows where that could go. Does the town need that? Not in my opinion but where do they go?  Interesting next few months to see what direction they choose when, inevitably, the Junior FA crumbles.

I know there’s never been a link between Thistle and Rose but didn’t Thistle approach Rose first but get knocked back?

What’s MoU?

Thanks for taking the time to give us some insight and clarity.👍

Edited by 8MileBU

10 hours ago, Sure & Stedfast said:

But whether they stay junior or if the grade collapses and end up in eos either way they are still competing for sponsorship 

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/11/2020 at 00:12, Sure & Stedfast said:

I agree. The town does not need two separate clubs called "United". 

I very much doubt that the new junior version, would be accepted into the EoSL, unless they change their name., for example to become "Bo'ness Junior FC"

Trying to work out which EoS clubs are working towards a Club Licence, even if they've not yet formally applied, and came up with this list from previous posts. Anyone have any up-dates?:

Premier Div.

Crossgates Primrose, Dunbar United, Musselburgh Athletic and Sauchie Juniors.

Division One Conference 'A'

Dalkeith Thistle, Edinburgh United and St Andrews United.

Division One Conference 'B'

Glenrothes Juniors and Oakley United

Applicants.

Livingston United

Very hard to define; except when clubs have lodged their deposit (and they won't necessarily make that public).

Go back a year and Dalkeith, Edinburgh Utd, Musselburgh and St Andrews were actively involved in process... since then Dunbar's come on very quick and it would appear even surpassed several of them, while some of the others have made slower progress, which is only natural. You add some at an earlier stage but there will be others.

Heriot-Watt Uni are a slow burner and some newer members from Fife and lowland Perthshire seem interested if not tangibly that close. Tweedmouth also.

EDIT: based on visible groundworks and public statements etc. my impression is Musselburgh, Dunbar are fairly close followed by Sauchie, Dalkeith, etc.

Edited by HibeeJibee

On 09/12/2020 at 17:49, Antony said:

When is the licencing committee meeting? Is it February again or has it been affected by Covid? 

According to a Kilwinning Rangers post the 24th February is the deadline for this season. They're not going for their licence this year as they've got too much work to do.

2 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

According to a Kilwinning Rangers post the 24th February is the deadline for this season. They're not going for their licence this year as they've got too much work to do.

Ok thanks. Hopefully all clubs go public with their intentions. I know Musselburgh and Dunbar have been vocal about applying this year but hopefully St Andrews and Edinburgh United are ready this year because they've been working towards it for a while now.