Club Licencing

On 16/08/2019 at 17:59, Robert James said:

Looks positive for Dunbar, and also for Dunipace that they will be granted a licence reasonably soon. Also, Dalkeith ?

However, if I correctly understand the "floodlights" licensing rule, their are 8 current SFA member clubs who are at risk of losing their licence before July 2020.  As I understand it regarding the lights requirement.  the current situation for these clubs is :

Burntisland         moving forward, but not sure whether the club will meet the timescale

C S Strollers         floodlights acquired, agreed and being installed

Coldstream         confident that they will meet the deadline, but progress unclear

Girvan                    no news about progress

Golspie                  unlikely to meet the deadline, as previous planning application not pursued/approved,  following objections from neighbours

Vale of Leithen   no news about progress, and if not achieved, the club faces relegation from the Lowland League

Whitehill Welfare    fund raising underway

Wigtown & Bladnoch   no news about progress.

Hopefully all 8 will be successful, but it looks unlikely for some of them.  Anyone got any further information/up dates ?

Does anyone have any updates regarding the above clubs ?

On 05/10/2019 at 18:42, parsforlife said:

Burntisland had planning approved(tho fairly restrictive in when they can be used)

Interesting to know when they will be installed ? Thank you.

Floodlights are obviously NOT a burning issue for the other clubs listed below !Any updates

Uncle Bob

On 16/08/2019 at 17:59, Robert James said:

Looks positive for Dunbar, and also for Dunipace that they will be granted a licence reasonably soon. Also, Dalkeith ?

However, if I correctly understand the "floodlights" licensing rule, their are 8 current SFA member clubs who are at risk of losing their licence before July 2020.  As I understand it regarding the lights requirement.  the current situation for these clubs is :

Burntisland         moving forward, but not sure whether the club will meet the timescale

C S Strollers         floodlights acquired, agreed and being installed

Coldstream         confident that they will meet the deadline, but progress unclear

Girvan                    no news about progress

Golspie                  unlikely to meet the deadline, as previous planning application not pursued/approved,  following objections from neighbours

Vale of Leithen   no news about progress, and if not achieved, the club faces relegation from the Lowland League

Whitehill Welfare    fund raising underway

Wigtown & Bladnoch   no news about progress.

Hopefully all 8 will be successful, but it looks unlikely for some of them.  Anyone got any further information/up dates ?

Any updates on floodlights installation for the above clubs ?  Perhaps we could be enlightened please ?

Uncle Bob

It's disappointing to see licensing situation still lacking more clarity. Although common sense won out in the end last season by allowing Bonnyrigg to go up in the end, the situation with floodlighting being made mandatory for licensing, and leaving Bonnyrigg so little time to install them was damaging for the credibility of the game, and also undermined efforts to bring the pyramid together. Yet here we are again facing a similar situation.

Awarding licenses at one specific point in a season is a good thing in theory, but it really depends on when that is with regard to its affect on promotion, not to mention the rules for licensing not being subject to regular change. It would be unfortunate if Boness won the EoS premier and couldn't get promoted - this year's success of Bonnyrigg and Kelty strongly suggests a fair few of current EoS clubs are significantly better than many LL teams and as things stand it's literally going to take years for teams to find their level.

Bonnyrigg and Kelty are the most consistent teams from the last few years at eos Premier and sjfa level and as such are doing well in the LL.

Without predicting the future though its hard to guage how well the current eos Premier sides would do in the LL. For me the top 4 in the eos Premier would be competitive in the LL but a blanket a fair few are better than most of the LL isn't a true or fair comparison. The jump in standard, particularly in the top 8 in the LL, is not an easy one to remedy, for any club. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out in t eh next 4 to 5 years.

It's disappointing to see licensing situation still lacking more clarity. Although common sense won out in the end last season by allowing Bonnyrigg to go up in the end, the situation with floodlighting being made mandatory for licensing, and leaving Bonnyrigg so little time to install them was damaging for the credibility of the game, and also undermined efforts to bring the pyramid together. Yet here we are again facing a similar situation.
Awarding licenses at one specific point in a season is a good thing in theory, but it really depends on when that is with regard to its affect on promotion, not to mention the rules for licensing not being subject to regular change. It would be unfortunate if Boness won the EoS premier and couldn't get promoted - this year's success of Bonnyrigg and Kelty strongly suggests a fair few of current EoS clubs are significantly better than many LL teams and as things stand it's literally going to take years for teams to find their level.

3 hours ago, G4Mac said:

Bonnyrigg and Kelty are the most consistent teams from the last few years at eos Premier and sjfa level and as such are doing well in the LL.

The last 4 years before either club got promoted to the LL mirrored each other pretty much perfectly.

1. East Super League Champion
  2. East Super League 2nd Place
  3. East Super League Champion
  4. EoSFL Champion

The expectations for Bonnyrigg were probably lowered by Kelty's collapse last year. There hasn't been anyone else close to that kind of consistency in the East the last 5 years. Like you say, anyone coming up from the EoS Premier should be competitive but probably not as dominant as Bonnyrigg and Kelty.

On 08/10/2019 at 00:25, G4Mac said:

The jump in standard, particularly in the top 8 in the LL, is not an easy one to remedy, for any club. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out in t eh next 4 to 5 years.

I take your point. Its more the bottom eight which I had in mind though. Not to mention, Whitehill aren't looking too clever in this year's EoS Prem so far either.

Of course the important thing however is teams get clarity on licensing rules so the can go up in the first place.

Will indeed be very interesting to see how it plays out. In five years time there could also be a number of west juniors sides in the mix as well. LL has the potential to be a really exciting competition.

Edited by Cameron Wilson

On 07/10/2019 at 06:13, Cameron Wilson said:

It's disappointing to see licensing situation still lacking more clarity. 

What success have Bonnyrigg and Kelty actually had this season ? Long way to go before the honours are dished oot  bud I take it yer writing off Shire EK and BSC ? 

6 hours ago, Cameron Wilson said:

I take your point. Its more the bottom eight which I had in mind though. Not to mention, Whitehill aren't looking too clever in this year's EoS Prem so far either.

WW will be steady in the EOSFL this season I'm confident of that,again its early days to be stating facts, especially wi a couple games in hand. Look at everyone's favourites at Penicuik are they where you think they should be even Lithgow it's a tough league but long long way t go before you can state teams are not looking clever? 

On 11/10/2019 at 06:27, newcastle broon said:

WW will be steady in the EOSFL this season I'm confident of that,again its early days to be stating facts, especially wi a couple games in hand. Look at everyone's favourites at Penicuik are they where you think they should be even Lithgow it's a tough league but long long way t go before you can state teams are not looking clever? 

I'm just speculating for now.

Not trying to be funny but the only EoS game I've seen this year was you lads game at Linlithgow earlier this season so maybe that clouded my view a wee bit . But anyway you're absolutely right, early days. 

BTW how are yous getting on with floodlights?

Edited by Cameron Wilson