Montrose v Forfar

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What I meant I was Reilly is undroppable  atm....no matter how poor he is.
Easton had another poor game, spent more time in our own half than trying to get at them and that defence was there for the taking!
When did Cregg fly in to tackles like that for us?
All in all a poor day, a chance to almost book out play off spot gone and Arbroath wrap up the league 

Easton was the only entrainment on show today by either team. I'm pretty certain they were happy to see him subbed.

The only real threat we had, particularly second half. Eckersly, for some reason just would not give him the ball in the first half possibly due to the marking of the montrose players.

5 minutes ago, Loonytoons said:

Easton was the only entrainment on show today by either team. I'm pretty certain they were happy to see him subbed.

The only real threat we had, particularly second half. Eckersly, for some reason just would not give him the ball in the first half possibly due to the marking of the montrose players.

We were happy to see him subbed......this was always a day for guts and determination sadly.

[emoji38] you guys cannot bring yourselves to admit that you are always wrong!! :whistle

My choice was based on the fact Moore was posted missing the whole time he was on the park and Whyte just kept passing the ball sideways the entire game which resulted in the first goal.

Can't see much wrong with either choices tbh.

6 minutes ago, Loonytoons said:

My choice was based on the fact Moore was posted missing the whole time he was on the park and Whyte just kept passing the ball sideways the entire game which resulted in the first goal.

Can't see much wrong with either choices tbh.

Yes Whyte and a few others played far too many square balls today(school boy error for the goal)

Forwards didn't make the runs to give those guys a chance to hit them, Dylan being the classic example, Moore when switched did make a few runs but wasn't spotted.

Hilson great strike 1st half but please keep him away from Ronaldo style free kicks in future!

Well done today, an important three points. I enjoyed trying to figure out the tactics. We were a fluid 3-5-2: when with the ball 3-5-2 with two wingbacks; when they have the ball 5-3-2. When Forfar had the ball in their half all of our players were in our half;  I saw two row of 5 with none of our guys in their half. Worked a treat we dominated the space and Forfar had no passes. Second half was less structered whether by design or stamina I couldn’t tell.  Russell McLean is an interesting watch - classic raw, young beanpole who showed some good signs and a few times the brainwaves took too long to get to his feet. I was glad we didn’t overplay to his height but, he certainly disrupted the Forfar defence who went through him a couple of times. CJ’ s goal came from a clever through ball and was almost replicated a few minutes later when Redman put Masson through.  We had our nippy middle three Masson (my MOTM), Cregg and Redman - I like to watch them. I came to the game fearful of Forfar and the good run they have been on but, although they had their moments they were second best. Their midfield and forward line lack height. Still expect them to be Top 4. An excellent crowd of 845. This result is on Stewart Petrie, he had a game plan to beat Forfar and the lads showed the discipline to execute it. 

2 minutes ago, A Username With Mo In It said:

Men versus girls today. Your team really needs to  grow a set of balls.

A wee hint of #everydaysexism? 

Asides from that, pleasing result from a Mo perspective. I'll take an ugly win over dropped points all day long.

We were utter wash for 20 long years. Any kind of win is very welcome.

Haha. Fair do's.

We went through a fair spate of games under DC where we either won or lost to the odd goal out of 5.
A 4 game run had something like 24 goals scored in total. Pretty sure Yano was involved in that run. Most likely responsible for goals at both ends too.

1 hour ago, Loonytoons said:

Bolo and Dillon reffed the game for me. Two very experienced pros.
Every foul was met with them confronting the ref. Between them the wasted a fair chunk of the time.
Fair play, they were ahead but it was a dire game as entertainment goes.

Must be a different view through the Bridie grease.  John Baird moaning, greeting, slavering and farting at every whistle truly has gotten worse with age.  

Pleasing win, whilst the injury to CJ curtailed the game plan I’ve seen us play a whoring amount better and get feck all from the game so will take yer anti football pish any day of the week if it means 3 points

Must be a different view through the Bridie grease.  John Baird moaning, greeting, slavering and farting at every whistle truly has gotten worse with age.  
Pleasing win, whilst the injury to CJ curtailed the game plan I’ve seen us play a whoring amount better and get feck all from the game so will take yer anti football pish any day of the week if it means 3 points

I think your missing the reffing a game point.
Bolo and Dillon weren't moaning for the hell of it.
They knew exactly what they were doing, burning up the clock constantly arguing with the ref. Old pros doing what old pros do best, control the game.

Given that you could (have) potentially been dragged back into the relegation battle that was a great 3 points for you but I just couldn't watch that every week.

I'm afraid I go to games hoping to be entertained rather than win at all costs, 'though there are always exceptions.

What a difference a week makes. SP got the team selection spot on this time. Put three battlers into the middle of the park with a target man up top with CJ to get behind the back four. Forfar looked good for the first 15mins but after we scored (a howler of a mistake from the Forfar defender .. but it still had to be put away .. and CJ missed arguably an easier 1 on 1 in the last game at Forfar) they looked pretty clueless upfront. I particularly enjoyed the last 10 mins of the first half where we sat back and said “go on break us down” .. they couldn’t. Second half we were by far the better side .. adopting the same approach and could’ve been one or two further ahead before the penalty. As for the “anti-football” pish from some of the Forfar folks. Precisely what do you expect from an opponent? Make it easy for you? No, we don’t play that way every week but SP clearly set out a game plan today and Forfar were second best as a result.

5 minutes ago, A Username With Mo In It said:

Anti football my arse, Sour grapes more like!

Aye, my mistake.  That was a great advert for football today.  Hope Barcelona were taking notes of the Siki-Whackit style ;).

Seriously, no sour grapes, you guys deserved the points, also happy that one of the other Montrose posters say you don't normally play like that too.

I actually admired Montrose's style for the first 20 minutes, the pressing on our back four was very impressive; structured and well planned out.  The game at that point wasn't too bad as a spectacle either, Montrose pushing for a mistake that eventually came and it was a great move and finish as we still had enough players back to stop it.

What happened after that was just grim on a viewing front but that was partly down to us not being good enough.  Montrose defensive setup was top class, just not good to watch.

Have really had a good laugh reading the anti football comments and as for  watching Forfar to see entertaining football . My sides are said laughing at that one.

SP set up a game plan that worked perfectly and Baird did more greeting  than a card at Xmas..

Was heard to tell one of his teammates to go in studs first in 2nd half.

Shocking behaviour

Sort of understandable comments from Forfar fans though. First half they were the better passing team and I was happy to have kept a clean sheet by half-time. Dylan Easton is a class act when he's on his game and Jonny Baird is an experienced campaigner. Forfar have some other useful players as well which is where they are. So, how do Montrose approach the game? Play right into Forfar's hands and let their players show their flair and strength or do we play our stifling game to get a result? Montrose are a workman like side getting to grips with L1  and have now beaten every other team in L1 at least once except the Smokies. To do that we adapt our game plan and rotate our squad to suit the next game. This week it worked although it was certainly not a classic game. Last week at Stenny it was utter rubbish - we got it wrong, accepted that and put it right this week. Next week at Starks Park hopefully we'll get it right again but letting them play to their strengths certainly won't win us any points so stifle them as well please SP, but please don't go back to just one up front as at Stenny. 

Archived