Pars vs Caley Thistle

Joe Thomson, for me, has been our player of the season. Another excellent performance yesterday and deserved his goal, although from the Norrie, the keeper should've held it.

Big, big win. Wasn't pretty but my goodness we needed that - and deserved it too. It's not a game to go down in the classic category but, of the chances that were created, it was us with them, Robertson made a good call in subbing his man first half before he was sent off - he was lucky that the referee tried to let a few things go.

I thought we defended well, even in the latter stages when we sat a bit deeper, so hopefully that's a confidence booster in itself. There weren't any failures in our team but the movement and first touch of Bruce Anderson was terrific. He's giving us a dimension in attack that we've not had all season.

We got our act together after a scrappy, hard-fought 1-0 win at home to Inverness last season - lets hope that this can have the same impact. Three really big games coming up though and we need to follow it up by putting more points on the board.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hands down one of the worst performances from an ICT that I can recall in a long time, especially that first 45 minutes. We were all over the shop. McCart, who until recently had been a very solid performer, was uncharacteristically sloppy with a number of sliced clearances and slack passes but he got better as the game wore on as did the likes of Trafford who was something of a headless chicken until we went to 442 and he seemed to be a lot more effective. White struggled badly until Austin came on. He (White) didn't get much service and when the ball did come his way he was largely dominated by Ashcroft who was excellent yesterday as were Connolly and Vincent for the home side. 

As mentioned by Alternative Maryhill above McCauley should have been sent off. After he was booked he committed two needless fouls that both could have resulted in a second booking so it was no surprise when Robbo took him off for MacDonald. Pars had a weak penalty claim when Anderson seemed to go down quite easily. Maybe any highlights will show something different but I wasn't convinced at the time.

Second half Dunfermline started much the better side. I don't know what Robbo said to the players at the break but most seemed to be still sleepwalking when Thomson dribbled across goal then lashed a shot past Ridgers who seemed to be caught by a deflection or by McCart ducking out of the way or something. Disappointing goal to concede but we were lucky not to be two down when Connolly battered the crossbar with a lovely shot just outside the area.

We started to come back into the game when Doran went off and Austin came on giving White a bit more support up front and we started to create some half chances. Walsh had perhaps the best opportunity for an equaliser when he drove towards goal and was afforded a lot of time and space to shoot from about 20 yards but he sent the ball well over. White and Mckay passed up a couple of decent chances to bring us back on level terms but they shot wide of / over the goal.

A seriously disappointing performance after what was a good showing on Monday night against County. We were missing arguably three of our most important players in Donaldson, Polworth and Welsh however if we want to stay in the playoff spot we need to improve our performances quickly.

That was Mc Cauley’s first start for us and probably because we were down to the bare bones. Signed from Coleraine in the window and has come off the bench late on in the last 4 games. Reaction from the fans has been fairly positive so far, but I think he’s struggling a bit with the pace of the game compared to what he’s used to. 

3 hours ago, RiG said:

Pars had a weak penalty claim when Anderson seemed to go down quite easily. Maybe any highlights will show something different but I wasn't convinced at the time.

I didn't think much of it at the time but watching the highlights it looks like a penalty to me as the defender changes the angle of his run to barge into Anderson. 

I hoped the big game on Monday would have taken something out of Inverness  both physically and mentally. That looked to be the case, they were very flat. 

Good luck in the replay though. 

I didn't think much of it at the time but watching the highlights it looks like a penalty to me as the defender changes the angle of his run to barge into Anderson. 
I hoped the big game on Monday would have taken something out of Inverness  both physically and mentally. That looked to be the case, they were very flat. 
Fair enough. Not seen the highlights yet (I assume Pars You Tube has them?) so if it was a decent claim then Kirkland did us another favour.

27 minutes ago, RiG said:
1 hour ago, Have some faith in Magic said:

Fair enough. Not seen the highlights yet (I assume Pars You Tube has them?) so if it was a decent claim then Kirkland did us another favour.

I don't think it is a penalty tbh. 

33 minutes ago, Adam101 said:

I think its a penalty and a red card, he's not denying a clear goal scoring opportunity thats just plain serious foul play, completely off the ball just being a thug doing that

I'm not even sure he catches Anderson, he steps across to try and block Bruce but misjudges where he is and seems to go behind him, not sure if he touches him though and neither is the ref, wrong side for the linesman to see it aswell. 

Inverness fans would've been best placed to see if there was contact. 

I'm not even sure he catches Anderson, he steps across to try and block Bruce but misjudges where he is and seems to go behind him, not sure if he touches him though and neither is the ref, wrong side for the linesman to see it aswell. 

Inverness fans would've been best placed to see if there was contact. 
Watched it a few times now and this is pretty much my take on it. Wasn't convinced at the game there was contact and I'm still not convinced now. Its certainly risk from McCart. He was pretty shaky for a while yesterday which was probably down to playing with Brad Mckay.

A ugly win sure feels a lot better than an ugly defeat. Massive win and important for the players' confidence.

A tough one at Ayr next but that's followed by three winnable games at home to Queens and Thistle and then away at Alloa. We can secure our safety in this spell or we can end up bang in trouble but yesterday was a good start.

Not as convinced as I was at the time but it certainly was completely idiotic defending to step across to block Anderson. Think the ball heading out of play saved him here.

Had the same happened but with the ball under andersons control then it's a far bigger call for the ref.

I think it's a very difficult call that could have gone either way, I think because the ball has gone and the incident has had no bearing on play makes it easy to rule no foul. I'd feel aggrieved if we had conceded a penalty in similar circumstances.

I think we've played much better and lost at home under Johnston. I thought how early we looked to want to shut up shop and invited pressure concerning, wouldn't have had much complaint had ICT equalised.

I thought Thomson and Connolly were very good. Ryan Blair's delivery into the box were great, far superior to Higginbotham basically chipping corners in. Good to see Louis Longridge back in, the Longridge brothers link up really well on the left.

Archived