Stranraer v Dumbarton

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That’s a great result. Scoring three at a place we’ve always struggled and a clean sheet, an actual, real life, clean sheet. Simply lovely.

Forbes leading by example and another for wee Dom. Those two are critical players for us. Nice to see Perry getting one too.

Important now that we build on today with a win next week. That won’t be easy, but if we can we’ll be heading in the right direction.

Well done Dumbarton , this was a must win game and we failed again , still a long way to go and I’m hopeful we can get back on track but enjoy your night can’t argue with the result 

Failed again ?? We won 3 nil away from home at a ground we haven’t won at since 91

????

Well done Dumbarton , this was a must win game and we failed again , still a long way to go and I’m hopeful we can get back on track but enjoy your night can’t argue with the result 

Sorry...

Just realised you may not be a sons fan..

One to many for me [emoji482][emoji482]

I was a bit worried at half time that the chances we'd had would come back to bite us. But we dominated them and thoroughly deserved that. Indeed, it could've been a bigger margin but I'm delighted with that today.

At half time, I ended up in a wee bar in the stand opposite the main one and it was brilliant to go in to get a heat as well as a pie in there. The talk was that we should let supporters into our bar at half time. We don't necessarily have to open the bar but it's got to be better than standing in a cold concourse.

Win the home games against Brechin, Stenny, Stranraer and Airdrie and I think that would be just about enough.

We can be very positive going to East Fife next week now. Not quite a free hit, but certainly less pressure than if we hadn’t won today.

8 hours ago, thomas 62 said:

Thomas a quality player but continues to whine at the ref like a wee spoilt wean.

His biggest problem imo is that he doesn't go down enough. He was continually being grabbed by Stranraer defenders but always tries to power through it (which he did a lot yesterday) but if things don't come off he always looks to the ref for a foul - which (as Bobby Barr told him in the first-half) he won't give unless he goes down.

Anyway yesterday was comfortably our best away performance of the season, and right up there with the victories against East Fife and Brechin City for dominance. From the first whistle we started with a real purpose and intent. The players looked seriously focused and there was a real aggression to our play. That might all sound like cliched drivel, but anyone who was there will know what I mean, and it's something I've not seen before from this side.

I was surprised to see Calum Gallagher and Ross Perry come back in, but both players did a really good job and I understood Duffy's thinking pretty quickly.

Perry matched Innes Cameron physically, whereas Henk and Fergie would've likely been pushed about a lot more. Up top, finishing aside, you really couldn't fault Calum Gallagher. He chased everything, harried defenders into mistakes, held up play and got himself in good positions. The only thing missing was a clinical touch. He missed (or to be more accurate, Max Currie saved) a couple of great chances, but that just appears to be how things are going for him in front of goal at the moment.

I said it at half-time, but David Ferguson looked a lot more comfortable at full-back than he had at centre-back. He added some decent width to the team, and balanced the back four. On the opposite side Cammy Ballantyne was absolutely superb. Towards the end he looked more like a winger, beating players and cutting inside, linking up well with Thomas and Barr and generally being a real threat.

In midfield Carsy made a world of difference dealing with Kyle Turner. Imo he was still Stranraer's best outfield player, but Carsy didn't let him saunter beyond the midfield as he had done in December. It's not until you've seen a midfield of Hutton/Forbes/Thomson you realise how quick he is either. Alongside him Hutton had a nightmarish first 15 minutes where I was convinced he was getting sent-off. He was clumsy, slow and, above all else, seemed in a really bad mood. Flapping his arms about, screaming at team-mates, all that stuff.

Things settled though, and I'm not sure he wasted a single pass in the second-half. There were shades of Cup Final Kyle at times as he battered into tackles and then rolled the ball off to a winger.

Forbes is a million percent better out wide than he is in the middle of the park, and it was no surprise to see how threatening he looked every time he got on the ball. Did I shout "don't hit that" as he pinged one into the corner from about 20 yards? You'll need video evidence to prove it...

On the other wing Bobby Barr was again excellent. He's really came onto a game since the turn of the year, and I'm pleased to see it. His crossing was decent, and he wasn't scared to drive at players. It was a proper old-fashioned performance if you will - and his effort was first-class. He looked absolutely done in by the end!

That leaves just the main man. Dom Thomas is some player and some boy. He only flickered in and out of life in the first-half, but in the second he really was Sam Stanton-esque (the highest praise I can give a player running with the ball). His goal was a nice finish (though Max Currie might be disappointed he didn't keep it out) but his balance, strength and ability to see and execute wee passes puts him in a class above almost everyone in this league. The amount of times he wriggled free of a few fouls to send Bobby Barr or Calum Gallagher free was incredible, and nobody in the Stranraer team could get near him in the second period. 

With East Fife, Raith and Arbroath all to come we've got a really difficult run of games coming up, but that performance and result should give us real confidence. Take four points from those three games and I'll be quite content, with a vital run of home games against the teams around us taking place between mid-March and late April.

As for Stranraer I thought the excellent Max Currie and always impressive Kyle Turner aside they looked really poor. Whether that's the hangover from Tuesday night or an indication of where they're at I don't know, but Faz seemed quite deflated in his post-match.

52 minutes ago, Ross Forbes said:

Anyway yesterday was comfortably our best away performance of the season, and right up there with the victories against East Fife and Brechin City for dominance. From the first whistle we started with a real purpose and intent. The players looked seriously focused and there was a real aggression to our play. That might all sound like cliched drivel, but anyone who was there will know what I mean, and it's something I've not seen before from this side.

Might? :lol:;)

10 hours ago, FifeSons said:

Amusingly, our pal Stevie Aitken today deleted his tweet about all the abuse he’d been getting since leaving the job :lol:

He's been gone from you months now.

Why are you still bleating about him. 

Archived