Relegation Royal Rumble

Golden Bucket and Spade Winner 2018-2019  

563 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Alloa have had exactly the sort of treatment this season as they should have. Most fans did expect them to finish bottom, which as the only part-time side in the division, was entirely justified. Then, when it was all said and done, many have offered congratulations and have respect for them staying up. What else were Alloa fans expecting or hoping for?

Contrast their situation with, for example, Hamilton Accies, who are continually subject to digs by the media and fans of other clubs due to their number of fans, plastic pitch, whatever else. Far, far worse than has happened to Alloa. Maybe if Alloa hang around this division long enough, they'll begin to receive the kind of disdain that Accies do in the top flight, but currently the incessant bleating of their fans is laughable.

Edited by Nightmare

48 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

Alloa have had exactly the sort of treatment this season as they should have. Most fans did expect them to finish bottom, which as the only part-time side in the division, was entirely justified. Then, when it was all said and done, many have offered congratulations and have respect for them staying up. What else were Alloa fans expecting or hoping for?

Contrast their situation with, for example, Hamilton Accies, who are continually subject to digs by the media and fans of other clubs due to their number of fans, plastic pitch, whatever else. Far, far worse than has happened to Alloa. Maybe if Alloa hang around this division long enough, they'll begin to receive the kind of disdain that Accies do in the top flight, but currently the incessant bleating of their fans is laughable.

I don't think there is, nor should there be, any disrespect shown to Alloa. As you say, the fact that they're part time and have the smallest budget yet have managed to finish above Falkirk & QOS should be seen as a great achievement.

As an Ayr fan who's watched his part time team of jobbers struggle in this league in recent seasons, I have nothing but admiration for what Goodwin and his players have achieved.

Moving on to next season, it could be another great Championship with the two Dundee sides and the possibility of Ayr, Thistle, Morton & St. Mirren all in the same league which would be really good for all of us from an away support perspective.

By the same token, you could have the two Dundee sides, Arbroath, Dunfermline and either Montrose, Forfar or Raith, which again would be good from the away support perspective for all these clubs.

ps Nothing in particular against County, Inverness & QOS, but you are all rather out the way for the rest of us...............

1 hour ago, Principal Flutie said:

I'd say a justified siege mentality can definitely work. Alloa WERE expected to finish bottom and a desire to prove people wrong can be a great motivator.

I didn't say it wasn't effective. Just that most people weren't trying to demean them by choosing them to finish 10th; it was just the most likely occurence.

Considering that's exactly where they'd have finished if they'd conceded just one more goal on the final day of the season, it was hardly a terrible prediction.

I don't remember the Dumbarton fans or players being so precious about it and they achieved far greater things than Alloa have.

2 hours ago, RiG said:

Have you seen this?

I find this a bit cringey to be honest. I suppose this should be aimed at me as well because I was also convinced Alloa would have finished 10th by a distance.

There was plenty of seethe from fans who dropped points to us throughout the season, but that was to be expected and should have been gratifying (and amusing) enough without imploring for extra validation as well.

2 hours ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

I don't remember the Dumbarton fans or players being so precious about it and they achieved far greater things than Alloa have.

That's because we're sleeping giants m9. Scotland's original Champions don't celebrate diddy things like staying in the second tier.

5 hours ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Now, everyone did write Alloa off but not one person thought they'd struggle to get more than 4 points.

This is true ,  I think we can do better next season if goody is still around (Doubtful) and he makes some good signings . Dumbarton's Efforts were /is the benchmark for a part time team

probably for many years to come , unless I am right of course  ;)

34 minutes ago, Ross Forbes said:

That's because we're sleeping giants m9. Scotland's original Champions don't celebrate diddy things like staying in the second tier.

Think you'll find this proves that you've actually got the tinpot mentality down to a tee.

Image result for steven aitken aitkens army

1 minute ago, virginton said:

Think you'll find this proves that you've actually got the tinpot mentality down to a tee.

Image result for steven aitken aitkens army

@Boghead ranter Have you been sharing your personal photo collection with people?

Spoiler

My favourite thing about that is that it was taken against Bonnyrigg :lol:

13 minutes ago, Ross Forbes said:

@Boghead ranter Have you been sharing your personal photo collection with people?

Hide contents

My favourite thing about that is that it was taken against Bonnyrigg :lol:

I don't think there's many forums that I haven't used that it, so, other than Kenneth Williams, that bird is one of the most-used pics on  P&B :lol:

3 hours ago, Sixtyten said:

I find this a bit cringey to be honest. I suppose this should be aimed at me as well because I was also convinced Alloa would have finished 10th by a distance.

There was plenty of seethe from fans who dropped points to us throughout the season, but that was to be expected and should have been gratifying (and amusing) enough without imploring for extra validation as well.

I can't speak for Jonathan but I'm not sure his video was a serious one. Just a laugh at all the people who said we were going down.

Our situation is russian roulette. Eventually we're going down. We've got to enjoy it while it lasts :)

6 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

I can't speak for Jonathan but I'm not sure his video was a serious one. Just a laugh at all the people who said we were going down.

Our situation is russian roulette. Eventually we're going down. We've got to enjoy it while it lasts :)

Appeared to be a distinct lack of Ayr fans in his clip.

1 minute ago, LeodhasXD said:

Got to continue the love-in since it seems like we're going to be Championship buddies again next year.

Unfortunately looking like it but the fat lady's only just starting to clear her throat.

5 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

Wouldn’t surprise me though if Arbroath finished above you especially if Goodwin leaves.

To be honest most of our current team was signed by Jack Ross, so I wouldn't fear losing Goodwin too much. None of his signings have ever been given a second contract so far. 

Arbroath have Colin Hamilton in defence, that's got to be a goal start to every opponent. 

The harsh reality is, all of Morton's fans will be looking forward to Championship football next season.

I actually think, that as long as it’s no more than one season, I’m looking forward to the seaside league. After 9-10 seasons of playing the same teams it’ll be good to travel to different grounds and it should allow me to complete my efforts to get round all 42 grounds.
At least I don’t need to travel to Greenock for a year....

3 hours ago, roman_bairn said:

I actually think, that as long as it’s no more than one season, I’m looking forward to the seaside league. After 9-10 seasons of playing the same teams it’ll be good to travel to different grounds and it should allow me to complete my efforts to get round all 42 grounds.
At least I don’t need to travel to Greenock for a year....

But you'll have to travel to Airdrie...

It really, really isn't great. That's coming from a fully paid up member of the seaside society. Granted it's good for ground bagging, but once the novelty has worn off you'll be pining for trips to the upper echelons of the Clyde Coast

Just ask Raith how easy it is to get out of it.