Relegation Royal Rumble

Golden Bucket and Spade Winner 2018-2019  

563 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

15 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
16 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:
Nah, can't agree. Zero wins, 4 points and a goal difference of -70 is a definite humiliation that is unmatched in the history of this league and probably Scottish football in general. 

They were out their depth. We were sounding off about winning the league.

They were, but over the course of a season to not get a single win is a massive minter and a huge humiliation. There was no shame in them finishing bottom. A record low points total and a record 0 wins was a humiliation though, and one we'll probably never see again in our lifetimes.

Id agree with this. I dont think Brechin humilated themselves they were just out of their depth having came up but not been able to strengthen adequately.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but what a series of absolute blunders have taken us here.

I can hold my hands up and say as a fan I was blinded by some of it until it was too late. However, the people in charge failing to hold their hands up means we deserve to be laughed at.
Brechin about to get their punishment with back to back relegations sinking them to the 4th tier.

All aboard the Falkirk Relegation Express 2019/20.

7 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Id agree with this. I dont think Brechin humilated themselves they were just out of their depth having came up but not been able to strengthen adequately.

Nah, not having that. You can argue about the scale of humiliation in relative terms to full-time sides having disasters - Morton 13/14, Anelka’s Raith - but Brechin was unprecedented and absolutely a humilation.

The standard performance for a side who end up miles out of their depth at this level in those circumstances is something like Brechin in 2005/06 or Stirling in 2007/08. There’s never a real question of surviving, they get nowhere near 30 points, they may not even break 20, but they win two or three games at least and their draws are in double figures.

Plenty of part-time clubs have found themselves completely ill-prepared for this division on first coming up, or go down meekly having run their course after a few years staying up sees the core of the squad which got them there moving on, but no one has ever been close to performing as badly as Brechin. Dumbarton’s first season up saw them accepting that the manager who’d got them up via the playoffs was woefully out of his depth at this level as they were heading for a similar season to Brechin. They sacked him and managed to turn it round to the extent that they stayed up.

Dumbarton surviving from that position was absolutely wild and you couldn’t realistically expect a similar turnaround from anyone taking the Brechin job, but it was painfully obvious that Darren Dods was  out of his depth extremely early on and they weren’t going to grind out results with him in charge. They could have sacked him when it became apparent the way things were going;  November at the absolute latest.

Had they done so they’d still have gone down, they just didn’t have the players, but a competent manager wins a couple of games and at least breaks 10 points. Instead they stood by Dods and allowed it to happen. That was not inevitable, their decision making over the manager caused it.

Nah, not having that. You can argue about the scale of humiliation in relative terms to full-time sides having disasters - Morton 13/14, Anelka’s Raith - but Brechin was unprecedented and absolutely a humilation.
The standard performance for a side who end up miles out of their depth at this level in those circumstances is something like Brechin in 2005/06 or Stirling in 2007/08. There’s never a real question of surviving, they get nowhere near 30 points, they may not even break 20, but they win two or three games at least and their draws are in double figures.
Plenty of part-time clubs have found themselves completely ill-prepared for this division on first coming up, or go down meekly having run their course after a few years staying up sees the core of the squad which got them there moving on, but no one has ever been close to performing as badly as Brechin. Dumbarton’s first season up saw them accepting that the manager who’d got them up via the playoffs was woefully out of his depth at this level as they were heading for a similar season to Brechin. They sacked him and managed to turn it round to the extent that they stayed up.
Dumbarton surviving from that position was absolutely wild and you couldn’t realistically expect a similar turnaround from anyone taking the Brechin job, but it was painfully obvious that Darren Dods was  out of his depth extremely early on and they weren’t going to grind out results with him in charge. They could have sacked him when it became apparent the way things were going;  November at the absolute latest.
Had they done so they’d still have gone down, they just didn’t have the players, but a competent manager wins a couple of games and at least breaks 10 points. Instead they stood by Dods and allowed it to happen. That was not inevitable, their decision making over the manager caused it.
Well I think comparing their performance relative to other failures, versus comparing our performance relative to our budget, expectations etc leaves it pretty fucking close.

Happy to leave it there tho.

17 minutes ago, thistledo said:

Time to un-retire Dunfermline from this race? 

Absolutely.

Make no mistake, we're right in this. From a Pars perspective, I think we'll have a much better idea after the Morton game. Can we just Sim it, please?

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

Fucking just relegate everyone apart from Ross County. We all deserve to go down.

I'd class the league thus:

Very, very average

County, DU

Poor sides who at some point in the season have won 3/4 in a row to pull away

Ayr United, ICT

Absolutely zero attacking threat in 99% of their games, and can barely defend

Dunfermline, Thistle, Morton, QOS, Alloa, Falkirk

Overall, there's absolutely no team I have seen where I have gone 'fuck me they're going to stroll this league'.  St Mirren last year were like that.  You could see they were skillful, quick, clinical and could defend.  

Definitely has to be a distinction between part-time clubs out of their depth and full-time sides that just stink the place out. 

Before Brechin City last season, need to give a shout to the East Fife side of 1996/97 under Steve Archibald and with the Trinidadians? Only won two games, one of which was on the final day and their campaign included a run of 15 straight defeats, ironically ended by coming back from two goals down to draw with a Saints side that cantered the league. During that run they scored 6 goals, conceding 52 goals, with two 6-0 defeats and a 7-1 loss in there.

Sticking with Fife, there's also the Cowdenbeath team from 1992/93? A 44-game season and they won only 1 of their first 41 games. They conceded 18 goals in their first 5 games, which set the tone for a campaign that saw them lose over 100 goals and fail to win a match at home.

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

I'd class the league thus:

Very, very average

County, DU

Poor sides who at some point in the season have won 3/4 in a row to pull away

Ayr United, ICT

Absolutely zero attacking threat in 99% of their games, and can barely defend

Dunfermline, Thistle, Morton, QOS, Alloa, Falkirk

Overall, there's absolutely no team I have seen where I have gone 'f**k me they're going to stroll this league'.  St Mirren last year were like that.  You could see they were skillful, quick, clinical and could defend.  

County even on tv werent that impressive for me, I was impressed with Utd last time out in the 1-1 draw with us(says it all they couldnt beat us) but not any of the other games. Ayr on tv, I was impressed with, against us pretty much average to poor in every game. Inverness best performance against us was the first game of the season, where the initial we shat ourselves to what players Hartley had signed. Dunfermline rag dolled us at home more so the 2nd game at home but easily in the first, whereas we beat them twice away when they had the £50 note tied on their dick in a brothel and still couldn't score in both those games. Partick deserved more in the draws we had with them though we probably couldve sneaked a draw in the first game, where we robbed draws in others. Morton recently boabied our 7-2-1 formation by confusing us by passing the ball to their own players on repeat instead of hoofing it 60 yards, the other three games they were pretty meh. Qos seriously gave us a 3-0 pumping which really couldve been double figures, dont think they were all that bar that . Alloa played better at the TFS and shouldve had 6 pts against us there instead of the 4 they got.

As someone posted, Ross County have been less shite than the rest of the league

Edited by MrDust

50 minutes ago, Radford said:

Definitely has to be a distinction between part-time clubs out of their depth and full-time sides that just stink the place out. 

Before Brechin City last season, need to give a shout to the East Fife side of 1996/97 under Steve Archibald and with the Trinidadians? Only won two games, one of which was on the final day and their campaign included a run of 15 straight defeats, ironically ended by coming back from two goals down to draw with a Saints side that cantered the league. During that run they scored 6 goals, conceding 52 goals, with two 6-0 defeats and a 7-1 loss in there.

Sticking with Fife, there's also the Cowdenbeath team from 1992/93? A 44-game season and they won only 1 of their first 41 games. They conceded 18 goals in their first 5 games, which set the tone for a campaign that saw them lose over 100 goals and fail to win a match at home.

Fuckin LoL!! They pumped us out the cup that season iirc.

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

Well I think comparing their performance relative to other failures, versus comparing our performance relative to our budget, expectations etc leaves it pretty fucking close.

Happy to leave it there tho.

To be fair we have had 2 separate goes at it this year .

2 completely different teams in the same season , equally rubbish and equally deserving of relegation.

We are effectively being relegated twice this season.   

That's unprecedented.

Who's in charge of this shitshow ?