Relegation Royal Rumble

Golden Bucket and Spade Winner 2018-2019  

563 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

55 minutes ago, John MacLean said:

The fact that Morton have over the last few weeks, with home games against Thistle, Alloa and an ICT side off the back of a semi-final defeat and hit by injuries, have blown three good chances to drag themselves to relative safety would give me the fear were I a Morton fan. Maybe a fixture against a Dunfermline side already thinking about the beach might be their salvation. As it might also for Queens. 

What gives me the fear as a Thistle fan are the last day's fixtures. With all other issues settled you could see Alloa, Falkirk and Morton all winning their games even though they are coming up against the top three sides in the division. I really don't fancy a genuine 'must win' at Palmerston on the last day while anxiously checking the scores from three other games. 

We really need a minimum of 4 points from Saturday's game with Alloa and our game in hand at Ayr next Tuesday. Possibly even a minimum of 7 points from our next three, Surely 41 points would be enough? 

I change daily who I think will go down. Right now I'm picking whoever loses between Falkirk and Morton on Saturday to finish bottom with the winner hauling themselves to safety  with Queen of the South finishing 9th. If Falkirk and Morton is a draw then one finishes 10th and the other 9th. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see finish as high as 6th but I wouldn't be surprised to see us finish 10th either. 

No doubt I'll have some entirely different thoughts this time tomorrow. 

I share your fear for the last day, as much as it could provide the biggest scenes of the season to get a result that means avoiding relegation, but I'd right now rather avoid that entirely. 

You'd feel 41 would be enough, but the unpredictable nature of this league... 

Bored at work so decided to do some calculations. Decided to split the season in half, as from January it gave Caldwell the chance to sign his own players, I guess maybe giving a truer reflection.

Our points average for the first 18 games of the season puts us at 0.77 points per game. Our current average over the last 14 games has us at 1.42 points per game, on that very unscientific basis means we could be looking at 39 or 40 points come the end of the season. Although combine the two and it's 1.06 so puts us 38 points for the end of the season. 

Personally feel if we don't beat Alloa and Ayr at least once, we've fucked it and deservedly should be punted. 

1 hour ago, Rob1885 said:

I liked Buchanan when he was with us. Played his part with st mirren and livi last season so clearly not as bad as being made out.

You were a poor League One side when he played for you. 

He played a very limited part for those clubs last season, and still managed to be a disaster at times. 

51 minutes ago, CC52 FFC said:

Buchanan’s a Falkirk man. When he played junior he was coaching at Falkirk community and regularly was out and about in the town. However, I think he’s utter shite.

His dad played with us briefly but was at the Warriors for many years as player and coach.

Used to have a sports shop, G&J Sports, in the town.

Edited by Reggie Perrin

He played a very limited part for those clubs last season, and still managed to be a disaster at times. 
Solid 2 years at Sons as well, as I said he's not as bad as is being made out.

1 hour ago, Rob1885 said:

I liked Buchanan when he was with us. Played his part with st mirren and livi last season so clearly not as bad as being made out.

Being well liked in a team which finished seventh in League One clearly makes him a good player.

12 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:
14 minutes ago, SpoonTon said:

Solid 2 years at Sons as well, as I said he's not as bad as is being made out.

A Dumbarton defence which conceded 66 and 56 goals in those seasons. Not very solid.

In fairness he seems like he should have most of the attributes to be a decent centre half at this level, but he also seems to be missing a brain. 

A Dumbarton defence which conceded 66 and 56 goals in those seasons. Not very solid.
In fairness he seems like he should have most of the attributes to be a decent centre half at this level, but he also seems to be missing a brain. 
56 by their standards isn't terrible. Enough to get a move to the champions elect that Summer. Not as bad as he is being made out.

1 hour ago, SpoonTon said:

He was brutal. Won the odd heed baw and that was it. A brutal player in the most brutal Pars team in history.

1 hour ago, SpoonTon said:

Gregor Buchanan was a very good player for us but he always needed to be partnered with an experienced centre-half. He looked shaky when he didn't have Frazer Wright or Darren Barr alongside him. I think he likes to be the aggressive one - going for aerial balls, throwing himself at challenges,that kind of stuff, and needs someone to act as more of a sweeper behind him if he doesn't make it.

Johansson likes  a back three, doesn't he? I'm not surprised he's struggling if it's him, Kilday and Waddell. Nothing against either player, but they aren't the kind of old head he was at his best for us alongside.

5 hours ago, Reggie Perrin said:

His dad played with us briefly but was at the Warriors for many years as player and coach.

Aye, Gordon Buchanan. I'm sure he was very well rated when at us and moved to England? Didn't make it and came back to play with the Shire and manage and coach Stenny.

My memory's not the best right enough!

Edit to add that I think his mum's the editor of the Falkirk Herald.

Edited by ShaggerG

5 hours ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Sure Gordon was at EEP on Saturday, Falkirk end

17 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Morton fans thought Dominic Shimmin should be playing regularly in the top flight, so I'd take their views on defenders with a pinch of salt.

Who?

1 hour ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Morton fans thought Dominic Shimmin should be playing regularly in the top flight, so I'd take their views on defenders with a pinch of salt.

Dunfermline fans were delirious with joy at getting Andy 'Andrew' Barrowman from Morton in exchange for Ross Forbes during the January 2015 transfer window. Forbes would go on to score 18 goals and make 36 assists in a highly successful stint at Morton; Barrowman meanwhile got just two goals.

Forbes also picked up a couple of assists in a 0-4 bleaching of Dunfermline at EEP in March 2015 as well as a league winners' medal at the end of the campaign;  Dunfermline meanwhile finished 7th in the third tier and Barrowman got packed off to Albion Rovers in the summer. 

Safe to say then that any player judgments made by obese messes like yourself in the Dunfermline fanbase will be safely filed in the bin, where they belong, for the rest of human history. Thanks for playing anyway champ. 

IMG_0697.thumb.jpg.b402f7dddb1179ed869e90464f119761.jpg 

10 minutes ago, virginton said:

Dunfermline fans were delirious with joy at getting Andy 'Andrew' Barrowman from Morton in exchange for Ross Forbes during the January 2015 transfer window. Forbes would go on to score 18 goals and make 36 assists in a highly successful stint at Morton; Barrowman meanwhile got just two goals.

Forbes also picked up a couple of assists in a 0-4 bleaching of Dunfermline at EEP in March 2015 as well as a league winners' medal at the end of the campaign;  Dunfermline meanwhile finished 7th in the third tier and Barrowman got packed off to Albion Rovers in the summer. 

Safe to say then that any player judgments made by obese messes like yourself in the Dunfermline fanbase will be safely filed in the bin, where they belong, for the rest of human history. Thanks for playing anyway champ. 

IMG_0697.thumb.jpg.b402f7dddb1179ed869e90464f119761.jpg 

^^^ furious word salad