Relegation Royal Rumble

Golden Bucket and Spade Winner 2018-2019  

563 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

8 hours ago, PB1994 said:

Is it just me who doesn’t buy this United and County have nothing to play for theme?

Undoubtedly Dundee Utd will rest players but they have a large squad of players who will all be trying to get a starting spot for the playoffs.

Ross County players as well will be on a massive high being champions etc and again a lot of the squad they have will be desperately trying to show they are worthy of being in the premiership as they will probably have a big turnover of players in the summer.

Dun Utd won't rest any players as they will have a couple of weeks before they meet the winners of the 1st play off. 

The play off final is the end of May so they need to keep their players focused. Rest them too early and it could be hard to get them started again. 

County have quality and big enough squad   to change things if they wanted to in the last couple of games.    

Again as discussed before, how much does that really translate into competitive edge though, realistically. We see it every sesson teams phoning it in once the competition element is gone.

We beat St Mirren twice last season after the totle was wrapped up.

I dont think it will help us this season but only because we are too gutless to take advantage.

That’s a fair point and I’m sure the performance levels will drop but I don’t think it will have a big impact on the results as people think.

Presume it’s Dundee United last home game of the season? So they will want to put a performance in to get the fans in a positive mood for the play offs.

In fairness you did have a much better team last season. I just find it unrealistic that the team bottom of the table is all of a sudden going to pick up 4 or 6 points against the two best teams in the league just because they have nothing to play for.

I do realise that it may just be Falkirk fans clinging onto any last hope of stay up with that one though.

I also remember fighting back on the last day for a 3-3 with Dunfermline after we won the league which sent them into a play off which they  lost.

Less chance of a phone-in if you are  at home. If Falkirk get 3 points at Tannadice I will be amazed. Back to back away wins? Don't  think  so. 

8 minutes ago, 9queens said:

I also remember fighting back on the last day for a 3-3 with Dunfermline after we won the league which sent them into a play off which they  lost.

Less chance of a phone-in if you are  at home. If Falkirk get 3 points at Tannadice I will be amazed. Back to back away wins? Don't  think  so. 

Fawkirk at home v RC don't think that will help them.

All should be a lot clearer after Friday night. QOS will know their max points.

Edited by Paisley Ton
Error

Regarding final league games of the season: County have lost 1 of their last 11. Victories have included a 0-4 shagging of Aberdeen, a 1-0 win vs ICT (denying them Europe), a couple of wins versus Kilmarnock, a five goal thriller at Firhill, and a 3-5 win in Dumfries (last time County won the league).

The defeat was a 4-1 loss against Raith Rovers in 2009/10.

18 hours ago, third lanark said:

Just wish the pars had more to play for worryingly for my team they are getting beaten by other possible relegation candidates and I see Morton play you last game of the season as well.

had to laugh at the pundit who said Falkirk have 2 hard games left. They don’t they have 2 games against teams who have nothing to play for 

We play Morton this coming Saturday. We're away to Inverness on the last day.

The 'nothing to play for' thing is definitely overstated. It definitely happens but it's not as common as being made out.

I remember going to Inverness for our last game of season in 2002. We had achieved promotion week before with a 2 0 victory at Love Street. Headed up for the celebrations and got pumped 3 0. RC will be thinking about the beach. Falkirk could be in luck.

On the other hand, the last time we won this league, the first game we played after being champions was away to Ayr and we pumped them 7-0.

Regarding final league games of the season: County have lost 1 of their last 11. Victories have included a 0-4 shagging of Aberdeen, a 1-0 win vs ICT (denying them Europe), a couple of wins versus Kilmarnock, a five goal thriller at Firhill, and a 3-5 win in Dumfries (last time County won the league). The defeat was a 4-1 loss against Raith Rovers in 2009/10.

Ha ha. The 3 2 thriller involved copious amounts of county fans decked in beach gear!! If I remember correctly 

Edit I thought it was 4 3 but probably wrong as drink had been drunk. A draw would have given us 7th instead we finished 10th. Both of us safe mind.

Just now, 9queens said:

Was it automatic relegation and Airdrie in the play offs?

What you initially said was correct, to a point.

If we'd won at Firhill, we'd have stayed up. As we drew in injury time, we went into last game of the season against an already relegated Airdrie knowing a win would see us safe. We didn't. Coupled with Accies completely phoning it in against Cowden saw us consigned to the play offs and subsequent relegation.

Wasn’t the final day of the season. We were 3-1 up at Firhill on Thistle’s title day and got pegged back to 3-3 in last 5 mins or so. This was with our terrible squad left after half the team got sacked due to admin. Second half had been a great performance until we bottled it at the death.

We still had a great chance of avoiding the play-off though. All we had to was beat an already relegated Airdrie side at EEP, to avoid the drop despite a points deduction. We, of course, lost and were subsequently beaten in the play-off final by Alloa.

16 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Wasn’t the final day of the season. We were 3-1 up at Firhill on Thistle’s title day and got pegged back to 3-3 in last 5 mins or so. This was with our terrible squad left after half the team got sacked due to admin. Second half had been a great performance until we bottled it at the death.

We still had a great chance of avoiding the play-off though. All we had to was beat an already relegated Airdrie side at EEP, to avoid the drop despite a points deduction. We, of course, lost and were subsequently beaten in the play-off final by Alloa.

Compared to that this season is a picnic!

My confusion over details doesn't detract from my main point which was that champions don't neccessarily down tools

Compared to that this season is a picnic!
My confusion over details doesn't detract from my main point which was that champions don't neccessarily down tools

Not a great example tbh. Thistle had most certainly downed tools to be losing 3-1 to us in the first place. We would have won comfortably if we hadn’t sat back so much.

On 11/04/2019 at 10:11, Bairnardo said:
On 11/04/2019 at 10:08, Walter said:
Really? We got rid of some poor players and replaced them with players who are generally better. No big money purchases involved. I don't know where you get this panic buying idea from.

Same for us. A bizarre assessment of two football clubs backing new managers who no doubt specified the need for a busy window when they took the jobs

On 11/04/2019 at 10:11, Bairnardo said:
On 11/04/2019 at 10:08, Walter said:
Really? We got rid of some poor players and replaced them with players who are generally better. No big money purchases involved. I don't know where you get this panic buying idea from.

Same for us. A bizarre assessment of two football clubs backing new managers who no doubt specified the need for a busy window when they took the jobs

That's worked out well for you 

Depending on results we could in theory already be safe in 8th place. This would need no more points for Alloa and less than 3 for Falkirk. (In reality Falkirk almost certainly need 4 points to overhaul us if we get no more points given the relative goal differences))

Equally we could pick up 4 points from 2 games and still finish 9th.

Good old Championship. Low on quality high on worry.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer