Relegation Royal Rumble

Golden Bucket and Spade Winner 2018-2019  

563 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Finishing 3rd or 4th is the difference of around £75k to the club so both Ayr & Inverness will still be aiming to win their matches, having said that, if the final match is a dead rubber then it would be perfectly understandable for both clubs to be resting players ahead of their play off matches, not to mention that we owe Alloa a big favour after last season !!!!

Prize money does matter, but far more in the eyes of boards, managers don’t care as much(tho they will be aware of the impact on their future budget), players less so and for fans even less than that.

Guest Flash
12 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Prize money does matter, but far more in the eyes of boards, managers don’t care as much(tho they will be aware of the impact on their future budget), players less so and for fans even less than that.

True, but bonuses for managers and players might be based on league placings.

Love them or loathe them, has to be said the playoffs have added loads more excitement to the league.

Pretty much every club has something to play for with 3/4 games to go. 

Usually you’d have a hand full of clubs with nothing on offer for them. 

Love them or loathe them, has to be said the playoffs have added loads more excitement to the league.
Every club.... except Dunfermline, who have managed to find themselves in some kind of footballing black hole.

49 minutes ago, NEFarab said:

True.

It certainly wasn't much fun when you had to win the League to get up.

As it is this season though, the logjam at the bottom of the table owes nothing much to play-offs.  Before they existed, two automatically went down, but even if there was just one relegation spot, five teams would still have a chance of landing in it, even this late on.

I'm just glad we're nowhere near this end of the table. There must be a few squeaky bums...

I'm not sure who will go down. Form makes it look like Morton & QoS are in trouble. However, the joy of this league is anyone can beat anyone else on their day. I still reckon they'll be some twists and turns in the last 3 games.

Good luck all and may the odds be ever in your favour!

3 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

True.

It certainly wasn't much fun when you had to win the League to get up.

As it is this season though, the logjam at the bottom of the table owes nothing much to play-offs.  Before they existed, two automatically went down, but even if there was just one relegation spot, five teams would still have a chance of landing in it, even this late on.

Yeah that is true but it can also be said that having not 1 but 2 potential teams facing the drop encourages teams to get on the front foot more than it would with just one automatic relegation place. 

1 minute ago, NEFarab said:

Yeah that is true but it can also be said that having not 1 but 2 potential teams facing the drop encourages teams to get on the front foot more than it would with just one automatic relegation place. 

There were two teams automatically relegated from this tier before the introduction of play offs in 2005/06. If anything it’s now harder to get relegated out of this league.

With our playoff place almost certainly secured it will be interesting to see how we treat our remaining games. 3/4 of our games involve teams involved in the relegation battle (Partick Thistle x2 and Alloa at home), I’d be happy enough to see us chuck these games in order to save Partick (bring a very dece crowd to Somerset) and Alloa (More PT teams in the league the easier it should be for us to stay up if we implode next season).

Get rid of Morton and Queen Of The South. Two clubs who bring nothing to the league. 

With our playoff place almost certainly secured it will be interesting to see how we treat our remaining games. 3/4 of our games involve teams involved in the relegation battle (Partick Thistle x2 and Alloa at home), I’d be happy enough to see us chuck these games in order to save Partick (bring a very dece crowd to Somerset) and Alloa (More PT teams in the league the easier it should be for us to stay up if we implode next season).
Get rid of Morton and Queen Of The South. Two clubs who bring nothing to the league. 

Nah I want Morton here next season. Rumours of budget cuts will mean they’ll likely struggle again next season.

Queens can go. I’m utterly fed up of our ridiculously bad record at Palmerston.

I suspect McCalls soft spot for the Jags will see us perhaps put out a weakened side in one of the games and should Alloa require a point or 3 on the last day we should throw them a lifeline. They’re a good bunch and we need part timers to prop us up next season.

8 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Nah I want Morton here next season. Rumours of budget cuts will mean they’ll likely struggle again next season.

Queens can go. I’m utterly fed up of our ridiculously bad record at Palmerston.

I suspect McCalls soft spot for the Jags will see us perhaps put out a weakened side in one of the games and should Alloa require a point or 3 on the last day we should throw them a lifeline. They’re a good bunch and we need part timers to prop us up next season.

Ayr will surely be trying to finish up the table as high as possible to earn extra £75k and advantage in first play off matches.. 

Ayr will surely be trying to finish up the table as high as possible to earn extra £75k and advantage in first play off matches.. 

Lot of Ayr fans I know don’t mind finishing 4th as it means we don’t have to travel up to Inverness in mid week.

I have very little confidence we’ll get past a team we’ve failed to beat on 4 occasions and only scored twice against this season anyway.

One or two of the bottom will implode in the last 3/4 games pickup up either nothing or one draw. For me that means anyone who can win at least one of these games and draw the other will be safe. No one will need to win the lot to survive

12 hours ago, Trogdor said:

I'm just glad we're nowhere near this end of the table. There must be a few squeaky bums...

I'm not sure who will go down. Form makes it look like Morton & QoS are in trouble. However, the joy of this league is anyone can beat anyone else on their day. I still reckon they'll be some twists and turns in the last 3 games.

Good luck all and may the odds be ever in your favour!

Squeaky bum implies you have kept at least some control of your sphincter. I'm pure shiting it. 

Despite still having a midweek game, Ayr's schedule is pretty decent for them. 3 home games and a trip to Glasgow. They might want to rest some players for the Tuesday Thistle match, but they will also want to get some momentum going (and that will be important for them going into the playoffs). I expect them to be competitive against Thistle - they might rest a few against Alloa though. 

Any time I read any of your posts you appear to be foaming at the mouth. Pretty sure you were the Ayr fan saying your season (best in decades) was turning to shit after a couple of draws [emoji38]

FWIW, a lot of fans enjoy a trip to Dumfries as it's a good away day. That may be something you appreciate when you're old enough to drink.