Scottish Women's Premier League 2019

GordonS

12 hours ago, GordonS said:

Well that's a few more than the 100-odd we normally get at women's games here...

See if Celtic and Rangers got behind their women's teams they could attract pretty healthy attendances for the odd big game every few seasons. No reason why not.

Edited by ForzaDundee

2 hours ago, ForzaDundee said:

See if Celtic and Rangers got behind their women's teams they could attract pretty healthy attendances for the odd big game every few seasons. No reason why not.

You'd hope so, but then, given they have to play behind closed doors when they meet in the Scottish Youth Cup, they'd probably soon have to play these behind closed doors too.

Can't be too many countries in the world where the biggest youth match of the season can only be played in a locked ground.

2 hours ago, ForzaDundee said:

I’ve been to one OF women’s match and there were only a handful there, but at least they were there because they were interested in the game. It was played in a good spirit too, apart from one man supporting Celtic who was a disgrace. 

You'd hope so, but then, given they have to play behind closed doors when they meet in the Scottish Youth Cup, they'd probably soon have to play these behind closed doors too.
Can't be too many countries in the world where the biggest youth match of the season can only be played in a locked ground.

For the women’s OF security and police costs would out weigh any gate receipts taken from the match.

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Craig the Hunter said:

Hibs 0-1 Glasgow City last night. Very competitive game won from a set piece. Good night's entertainment in front of a decent crowd. Nice to see these games getting moved to Friday nights for TV, makes it feel like a bigger deal than a later kick off on a Sunday.20190329_194410_crop_654x392.jpg

tut tut- hope you had the appropriate media accredition from Hibs Ladies... :lol:

Hibs Ladies @HibsLadies
FollowingFollowing @HibsLadies
More

| Media Accreditation To obtain accreditation for tomorrow's game against Glasgow City, contact fhaines@hiberniancommunityfoundation.org.uk Please provide your name, who you are representing and the work you will be fufilling. Without this you may be refused entry tomorrow

3:06 PM - 28 Mar 2019

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/03/2019 at 13:37, boulderdomb said:

Will/is this available on Pocket Casts?

Just saw this. Not entirely sure what pocket cast is to be honest - only just googled it there after reading your post.

Based on my 60 seconds of reading about it, I think you just add the RSS feed yourself. I'm likely wrong.

The podcast is on ITunes & Spotify if that is of any help. And episode three came out this week.

https://anyonesgame.podbean.com/

• 1 month later...

I need to be in Edinburgh on Sunday morning and I was looking for a local fixture in the afternoon. I noticed Hutchinson Vale play at home to Partick Thistle, although no kick-off time is mentioned anywhere online as far as I can see. Does anyone know the time, will it be 2pm?

Also, do they play at Saughton? I've tried finding informaiton on them and I read that they merged with Edinburgh Uni, but they now play under the Hutchinson Vale name again it seems. Are they connected to LTHV who play in the EOS?

17 hours ago, Marten said:

I need to be in Edinburgh on Sunday morning and I was looking for a local fixture in the afternoon. I noticed Hutchinson Vale play at home to Partick Thistle, although no kick-off time is mentioned anywhere online as far as I can see. Does anyone know the time, will it be 2pm?

Also, do they play at Saughton? I've tried finding informaiton on them and I read that they merged with Edinburgh Uni, but they now play under the Hutchinson Vale name again it seems. Are they connected to LTHV who play in the EOS?

The Scottish Football Fixtures page is very good at keeping up with times and stuff, and it's showing kick off tbc, so it's probably not settled yet for some reason. It's not always 2pm so you'll need to check later. https://scottishfootballfixtures.wordpress.com/2019/05/16/sunday-june-2/

As far as I know they play all their games at Saughton, and a quick look at their Twitter says so too.

All I know about them is that they were doing alright when combined with Edinburgh Uni, but since going their separate ways this season they've been getting a shellacking off everyone. Something's seriously wrong and they are now waaay out of their depth. I knew folk who played for them about 10 years ago, they were a good side with a very good youth set-up (comparatively speaking) so it's surprising to see them in this state.

Thistle beat them 5-0 last week and IIRC someone put 17 past them a few weeks ago, so you should see some goals. Definitely worth standing behind their keeper...

• 2 months later...
23 hours ago, GordonS said:

Done. First question isn't great - how long have you been a fan of women's football, no options between 'for as long as I can remember' and 2016!

To be honest, I've no idea why I even put that question in. I suppose I thought at the time it was a nice introduction to the survey. Easing them in to the serious stuff.

I shouldn't be allowed to launch surveys unsupervised.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
6 hours ago, Craig the Hunter said:

Glasgow City won their thirteenth title in a row with a 10-0 win over Motherwell last night. 100% record in the league so far as well. Some achievement.

Now only one behind the overall football record which is 14 held by defunct Latvian club Skonto Riga & Gibraltarian club Lincoln Red Imps.

I'm not overly familiar with the women's game besides Glasgow City being by far the most dominant team followed by Hibs. Is there a reason Glasgow City have been so dominant? Presume they have the best resources financially which is helped by the runs in Europe.

Now only one behind the overall football record which is 14 held by defunct Latvian club Skonto Riga & Gibraltarian club Lincoln Red Imps.

I'm not overly familiar with the women's game besides Glasgow City being by far the most dominant team followed by Hibs. Is there a reason Glasgow City have been so dominant? Presume they have the best resources financially which is helped by the runs in Europe.
They have the most money, anytime any other team gets a good player or 2 glasgow city come in and take them meaning the rest struggle to get close to city and hibs. Some will argue that the big english teams do the same to city and hibs but that's just how the food chain works.
Next season may see a bit of a change with a few teams going semi-pro which may make them able to compete a bit better but I doubt it. Dont put any money on anyone other than city winning the league for the next few years

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50214657

SWF to review venue choice for Glasgow City title win

By Heather Dewar & Scott Mullen

BBC Scotland

Scottish Women's Football are to review the chain of events which led to Glasgow City winning their 13th league title on a public pitch.

Last Wednesday's 10-0 win was played at Wishaw Sports Centre which does not meet SWPL1 or SWPL2 criteria. It was selected as both Ravenscraig and Fir Park, Motherwell's first-choice venues, were unavailable.

A fixture scheduling error and a lack of available dates are also believed to have been contributory factors.

BBC Scotland has learned the switch was agreed in August, with Motherwell given dispensation to play the match at a lower standard of venue. However, a miscommunication over the accepted criteria of the ground the game could be played in has triggered the SWF to look at their internal procedures and policies for the future.

Glasgow City have since voiced concerns over the standard of surface at the Lanarkshire facility. "It was a venue that in my opinion that wasn't anywhere near good enough for the top league in women's football in Scotland and where we want to progress to as a league," said manager Scott Booth. "I don't think it was a very good advert for our game to be honest. Launching a review is a bit disappointing after the fact but at least it's being reviewed."

Motherwell and the SWF refused to comment.