• Announcements

• Div

Pie and Bovril Nostalgia Mobile Phone Cases!   12/09/18

We are delighted to have partnered up with Nostalgia Cases to offer a huge range of fantastic Scottish Football phone cases to our visitors. These high quality cases are available in a range of retro and up to date designs and there variations available for all Premiership, Championship and League 1 clubs as well as four of the League 2 teams. Within each club there are a range of choices. You'll find it difficult to choose! This is an Edinburgh based start-up, and they also provide a custom design service so if there is a kit you don't see that you'd love for your phone you can get in touch with them and they'll add it to their range. Naturally there is a HUGE support for all the major phone manufacturers and models and what's more delivery in the UK is completely FREE. What's even better is that Pie and Bovril users can get 10% off their order using the coupon code PIEANDBOV Take a look and browse the full range for your favourite club by clicking through to the website below. https://bit.ly/2M5laZs
Sign in to follow this  
GordonS

Scottish Women's Premier League 2019

The big kick off tomorrow:

SWPL1

Celtic v Forfar

Motherwell v Stirling Uni

Rangers v Glasgow City

Spartans v Hibernian 

SWPL2

Dundee Utd v St Johnstone

Glasgow Girls v Partick Thistle

Hamilton Accies v Hearts

Hutchie Vale v Kilmarnock (postponed due to the usual Saughton quagmire).

A few changes for this season...

Motherwell have moved to Ravenscraig - I don't know if they'll be indoor or outdoor, but I doubt anything outdoor meets the new ground requirements from SWPL1. On Sunday they'll be using one of their four permitted slots to move games to an alternative ground, and they're playing at Fir Park. Motherwell have also dropped "Ladies" from their name and they've merged their twitter account into the Motherwell FC account, with a message that they're one club. Very impressive, one of many things to like about they way the club is run these days.

Rangers are still at Benburb's ground, New Tinto Park, but until it's brought up to SWPL1 standards it will count as their alternate ground, as these only have to meet SWPL2 conditions. They can do this for four games, and they say the ground will be ready after that. I think all they'll need to do is cover 200 seats.  

Stirling Uni have moved from the Gannochy to Ochilview.

In SWPL2, Hearts have moved from Dalkeith to Oriam (not sure which pitch); Glasgow Girls have moved in beside Glasgow City at Petershill; Edinburgh Uni Hutchie Vale appear to have separated, and Hutchie Vale has the slot, with games moved from Peffermill to Saughton; and Thistle Weir, newly promoted into the league, appear to have changed their name to Partick Thistle and have also moved in at Petershill. 

Central Girls Football Academy, who dropped out of SWPL2 last season, seem to have vanished. 

And lastly,  there will be no relegation this season from SWPL 2 as they're expanding to 10 teams for 2020. Promotion to SWPL 2 will remain the same with one team from SWFL Division One North and South each gaining a place in the league.

Scores today, Hibs surprisingly held by Spartans in the Ainslie Park derby (maybe losing your best players doesn't help), decent win for Motherwell in their first match at this level and a good win for big-talking Celtic. In SWPL2 Hearts beat newly relegated Accies. 

But events entirely overshadowed by the death of Glasgow City legend Kat Lindner at just 39 years old. She was also the partner of the club's co-founder.

I wouldn't say the Spartans-Hibs result was a particular surprise; there's been some close games between the two Edinburgh sides over the years and the wind at Ainslie Park played a part. There's a good game in prospect next week as Hibs take on Celtic.

I was lucky enough to see Kat Lindner play for Glasgow City on a few occasions. She was a great player- good ball skills and tricky on the wing and it was with sadness that I heard of her passing today. 

Hibs dropping points has been coming, losing their best players was always going to hurt and with a 3rd team (Celtic going FT) to compete with to sign the best players from elsewhere, this season was not going to be as straight forward as the past few. Last year was their biggest chance to win the league.

35 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

I was lucky enough to see Kat Lindner play for Glasgow City on a few occasions. She was a great player- good ball skills and tricky on the wing and it was with sadness that I heard of her passing today. 

Found out tonight that a friend of mine played against her. She said she was a great person as well as a very capable player. I can only recall seeing her twice, but she was a stand-out. 

Rangers are still at Benburb's ground, New Tinto Park, but until it's brought up to SWPL1 standards it will count as their alternate ground, as these only have to meet SWPL2 conditions. They can do this for four games, and they say the ground will be ready after that. I think all they'll need to do is cover 200 seats.

Apologies, I couldn't get this section to quote in the app. Does this mean that Rangers/Benburb are finally covering the seats at New Tinto? That will be a fantastic addition to that ground

On 2/10/2019 at 01:56, GordonS said:

I don't know if they'll be indoor or outdoor, but I doubt anything outdoor meets the new ground requirements from SWPL1

We'll be indoor, though some games are scheduled for Dalziel Park during the summer months too. 

On 11/02/2019 at 21:22, Craig the Hunter said:

Apologies, I couldn't get this section to quote in the app. Does this mean that Rangers/Benburb are finally covering the seats at New Tinto? That will be a fantastic addition to that ground

I don't know, so I spent an interesting half hour on the Glasgow planning portal.

Turns out, when Benburb moved into Craigton park, site of New Tinto Park, they laid out a 3G pitch and built a pavilion without planning permission! In 2014 they applied for permission to build a covered stand where the present stand is, and in 2016 this was refused. In 2014 they also applied for permission to build a pavilion and move the pitch closer to that end of the ground, which was granted in February 2015. But on this plan there is no sign of any stand. I wonder if the stand maybe counts as a temporary structure?

There are no more recent planning applications at the site, so nothing about a covered stand. Hmm.

13 hours ago, AndyRoss said:

We'll be indoor, though some games are scheduled for Dalziel Park during the summer months too. 

Thanks. I think that might make Motherwell the first adult team in Scottish football to have an indoor pitch as their main ground, though I'm not sure which pitch Hearts are using at Oriam.

Are you allowed to use three grounds in a season? And if you've used Fir Park for one game, does that mean you can only use Dalziel Park a maximum of three times? 

I could be mistaken, but I don't think there's any issues with using three different grounds, but we'd not be able to use Dalziel more than three times.

Thanks. I think that might make Motherwell the first adult team in Scottish football to have an indoor pitch as their main ground, though I'm not sure which pitch Hearts are using at Oriam.
Are you allowed to use three grounds in a season? And if you've used Fir Park for one game, does that mean you can only use Dalziel Park a maximum of three times? 

Hearts will be using the indoor pitch.

Hearts will be using the indoor pitch.
Ta. Got to say, I think it's a really good place to watch football. The surface is excellent and the elevated view is very good.

22 hours ago, GordonS said:

I don't know, so I spent an interesting half hour on the Glasgow planning portal.

Turns out, when Benburb moved into Craigton park, site of New Tinto Park, they laid out a 3G pitch and built a pavilion without planning permission! In 2014 they applied for permission to build a covered stand where the present stand is, and in 2016 this was refused. In 2014 they also applied for permission to build a pavilion and move the pitch closer to that end of the ground, which was granted in February 2015. But on this plan there is no sign of any stand. I wonder if the stand maybe counts as a temporary structure?

There are no more recent planning applications at the site, so nothing about a covered stand. Hmm.

How can they not get planning permission for a covered stand? The seats are next to a f*cking motorway! Sounds like Glasgow City Council's planning department are about as batshit as Edinburgh's.. 

3 hours ago, tamthebam said:

How can they not get planning permission for a covered stand? The seats are next to a f*cking motorway! Sounds like Glasgow City Council's planning department are about as batshit as Edinburgh's.. 

It's worth a laugh if you the time to read it. Some of the major issues are about green space and biodiversity, yet when you're sitting in that stand you're nearer the middle of the M8 than the far corner flags.

I suspect that they got a booting because they'd just built the thing without any planning permission, which to an extent would be fair enough. But I don't know any of the back story and over here in the EoS forum we're unlikely to get any passing Benburb fans to explain it.