Bob Mortimer

MSU

liking the nod to judge nutmeg and the wheel of justice in episode #100   🙂

have always thought that Andy Dawson is like Dudley Moor on the Derek & Clive tapes - keeps up and contributes for most of the time, but just loses it when Peter Cooke switches in to comedy god-mode - his corpsing just adds to the hilarity...

22 hours ago, MSU said:

I've laughed a few times at Andy's contributions. His songs about mangoes tickle me for some reason. Corbyn was hit and (usually) miss. He had a spoken intro to the podcast a few weeks ago that had me poorless, though. Let's face it, though, he's just there for Bob to be a genius with. Andy is the everyman that represents the audience.

Every Eric Morecambe needs an Ernie Wise

Guest bernardblack

The Athletico Mince where Jonjo Shelvey attacks Phil Jones and Zlatan still makes me laugh out loud:

“This drinks like a fine aged port!!”

On 19/03/2020 at 21:16, KnightswoodBear said:

He knows when to let Bob go and not even try to compete.  You're totally right though, it wouldn't work without him. 

I don’t know if it’s a joke between the two of them, but there’s been a few sketches Andy has done on the podcast where it gets to the end and Bob just moves on to another subject instantly without commenting on it, usually in quite a dead pan way. I always imagine Bob just sitting staring at Andy, as he goes through the motions of the sketch, with absolutely no emotion on his face. 

His Mark Lawrenson top ten countdown usually has one funny line, and the Jeremy Corbyn has its moments as well. I agree he does a good job of letting Bob bounce off him, and I imagine there’s few people who could team up with Bob Mortimer and not come out a very distant second, Vic Reeves excluded. 

10 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

I don’t know if it’s a joke between the two of them, but there’s been a few sketches Andy has done on the podcast where it gets to the end and Bob just moves on to another subject instantly without commenting on it, usually in quite a dead pan way. I always imagine Bob just sitting staring at Andy, as he goes through the motions of the sketch, with absolutely no emotion on his face. 

His Mark Lawrenson top ten countdown usually has one funny line, and the Jeremy Corbyn has its moments as well. I agree he does a good job of letting Bob bounce off him, and I imagine there’s few people who could team up with Bob Mortimer and not come out a very distant second, Vic Reeves excluded. 

His "Do you think [BAND NAME] are still doing [SONG NAME]" genuinely seemed to frustrate the f**k out of Bob until he did it enough for it to become briefly funny through repetition.

12 hours ago, MSU said:

His "Do you think [BAND NAME] are still doing [SONG NAME]" genuinely seemed to frustrate the f**k out of Bob until he did it enough for it to become briefly funny through repetition.

I’ve been trying to introduce Bobs ‘Does this remind you of [Something  ridiculous and in no way related to what they were talking about], into my portfolio of patter. It’s quite hard to pull off because if you say it to someone who isnt on the same patter level as you they just look at you as if you’re stupid. However on the few occasions where it’s said to someone operating on the same level as you it can be absolutely hilarious, and cancels out all the shite ones. 

A whole new ball game: enter the bizarre world of Athletico Mince  (link to article on Guardian website)

If you were starting a podcast, and your intention was to choose a subject matter that alienates as many people as it attracts, you would be hard-pressed to beat football. To some, the beautiful game is a thrilling weekly clash of the titans; to others, an endless parade of stats, inexplicable fortunes and stultifying punditry. Athletico Mince is the hen’s teeth of football podcasts, in that it has managed to cross that picket line:...etc

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Battering through Athletico Mince during this lockdown and it’s tremendous stuff, the gems far outweigh the guff!!!

Also regarding previous discussions, in Episode 51 - Black Pudding to the Rescue, Bob and Andy have a conversation regarding the fact that the Landlord is in fact Barry Homeowner’s father, that was a nice thing to do wasn’t it???

Rosalind is a fucking nightmare.

ETA: Kinda fell in love with Sally during that week. Was already in love with Aisling.

Edited by MSU