New Managers Please - Hibs vs Accies 16th Feb

Next Saturday will see the two newest SPFL managers stacked up against each other, locked in mortal 11-on-11 combat for the first time.

In the red corner is Brian Rice, whose sum total experience has been a bunch of journeyman assistant coaching jobs, so far. Other than this, his main claim to tabloid fame is that he had to ask friends to bail him out of a £65,000 gambling debt that nearly put him in a Qatar jail. Rumour has it, the Hamilton Accies board has tried to save costs by asking Brian to help out with their accounts too.

In the green corner, we presumably have Hibs manager-elect Mike Appleton, who actually has had a few full managerial jobs before. He does have a propensity for getting hired and fired by basket-case football teams, but has at least one instance of reviving the fortunes of a not-quite-so-basket-case team, in the guise of Oxford United. We'll likely find out whether this season's Hibernian roster is worthy of the term 'basket case' in due course, but if it all goes tits up, Mike Appleton can always get a steady paycheque as the guy who breaks the legs of bad debtors if they don't pay their loan sharks, so it's not likely to be the last clash between these two managers.

Between them, these two managers will have somewhere between 17 and 23 days experience of managing top-level first-team Scottish football, so perhaps we might see something different as these new guys bring fresh ideas to the Scottish game.

Spoiler

Probably not very different, though.

4-0 Hibs, Kamberi to get his mojo back now that he's sure Lenny isn't coming back, and score another hat-trick against Accies.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, accies1874 said:

£12 for two year olds and no student prices...

I suspect the issue is at the Hamilton end. Hibs offers student prices for home-end tickets, whereas Hamilton doesn't seem to offer a student discount for either home or away fans. It might be explained by Hamilton not having much call for, or the ability to, check student identification. Raith was offering half-price student tickets for yesterday's game.

As for the under 18s price, the quoted price is the same at both grounds.

If you're taking a two year old to a football match you deserve to be taken advantage of. I've got a two year old, and he's a great wee guy - but his attention span can often be defeated by an episode of Digby Dragon, never mind 90 minutes of Accies own brand stodge.

6 minutes ago, Estragon said:

If you're taking a two year old to a football match you deserve to be taken advantage of. I've got a two year old, and he's a great wee guy - but his attention span can often be defeated by an episode of Digby Dragon, never mind 90 minutes of Accies own brand stodge.

Beat me to it.

Who the f**k takes a two year old to the fitba? Guaranteed to be a nightmare.

On 2/10/2019 at 10:15, accies1874 said:

Would've been confident if Hibs didn't have their new manager, but that seems highly unlikely now.
It'll be interesting to see how Rice sets up away from home on a bigger pitch.

According to the stats I can find, both pitches are identical in size (105m x 68). There aren't many bigger pitches than Accies'. Celtic Park is the same. I think ours looks smaller because we sit quite close to it and see the others from a higher vantage point on TV.

3 minutes ago, Owsley said:

According to the stats I can find, both pitches are identical in size (105m x 68). There aren't many bigger pitches than Accies'. Celtic Park is the same. I think ours looks smaller because we sit quite close to it and see the others from a higher vantage point on TV.

I was convinced we had the smallest pitch in the league. Just pretend I never said that.

16 hours ago, Estragon said:

There is advantages to taking younger kids to his first game,the guy sitting in front of me was a pain in the arse always hoff jaked up and down all game angry at everything.
Took my 3 year old son and sat him on my knee about 15 minutes in he booted angry guy on the head he turns round and i said sorry mate it's the wee mans first game.
He sat back down rubbing his head for the rest of the half. 

On 11/02/2019 at 07:46, Estragon said:

My dad took me to my first ever Hibs game when I was about that age. I still remember it, mostly because I was petrified of the crowd noise. We beat St Mirren 4-1 and oh how I cried my little heart out every time we scored. Rather poignantly, there were tears at the first and last Hibs game I went to with the old man. Having not seen my dad for 3 years, my journey began with me hitchhiking from the South of New Zealand before embarking on the longest journey on earth to surprise him the night before the 2016 Scottish Cup Final. Unfortunately I wasn’t able to get a ticket in the same part of the stadium as him, but he was next to me in spirit. I sometimes wonder if a higher power was looking down on us that day as the timing of David Gray’s winner and the once in a lifetime pitch invasion meant I was able to jump the fence, kick the f**k out of a few Rangers players, and find my old man in the stands just in time to sing Sunshine on Leith together. Oh how I cried my little heart out.

Edit: just remember my last game was actually Copenhagen away a couple of months later. There were no tears that trip, but like a two year old I did stick lots of stuff up my nose and also piss myself a couple of times. 

Archived