Rovers v Arbroath - the next instalment

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Raith are in that bracket where they're probably a bottom half of the championship team, similar to Morton/Ayr/QoTS etc. A very good year could easily see them or any of they clubs achieve a Hamilton or Livingston type success with their full time status. Normally though - bottom half of Championship/occasional stint in League 1.

Brechin are extremely well run but I'd say Clyde and especially Airdrie (one of the bigger PT clubs) are bigger clubs with more potential.

20 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Raith are in that bracket where they're probably a bottom half of the championship team, similar to Morton/Ayr/QoTS etc. A very good year could easily see them or any of they clubs achieve a Hamilton or Livingston type success with their full time status. Normally though - bottom half of Championship/occasional stint in League 1.

Brechin are extremely well run but I'd say Clyde and especially Airdrie (one of the bigger PT clubs) are bigger clubs with more potential.

St Johnstone has pushed on to be fair, but they are just an Ayr/Rovers/Accies who have had a continuous period of good fortune. 

St Johnstone has pushed on to be fair, but they are just an Ayr/Rovers/Accies who have had a continuous period of good fortune. 
It's not really good fortune. They are extremely well run and for the most part have appointed the right manager at the right time. We could only dream to emulate their success in recent years.

Certainly since I started supporting the club, we have been spoiled. Being in the premiership, winning the league Cup and playing in Europe was the perfect way to hook me in as a young boy. We've had some awful lows like the anelka debacle and the subsequent seasons where it took levein recommending a relative unknown in mcglynn to come in and turn us around. We had some relative success, the semi final, coming within 3 (?) games of winning the championship under him last time around. Even Murray won us the challenge cup in the best circumstances possible. If you look at those successes that most teams at this level could only dream of emulating then it's easy to see why we do expect to be doing better. We are a mid table championship team on paper who will spend the odd season down here (or 3/4) but we do have the potential to do a hamiltom/ livi etc aswell.

17 hours ago, farflung lichtie said:

Seems harsh to judge any manager on barely half a season.

On any half a season? Try 1993-94 & 2001/02

In 1994, Arbroath's new manager won his first game in charge. The only highlight after that was only losing 3-2 to Dundee United in the cup. We didn't win another game until he f*cked off after his 14th game. We didn't draw many either. We were relegated to league 3.

However, Raith gave him another chance in late 2001. He won 5 games out of 18, so was a good bit worse than the current incumbent. Raith finished bottom of old league 1and were relegated. Arbroath were only 13 points & 3 places clear of Raith that year.

Who was that crap manager?

1 minute ago, lichtgilphead said:

On any half a season? Try 1993-94 & 2001/02

In 1994, Arbroath's new manager won his first game in charge. The only highlight after that was only losing 3-2 to Dundee United in the cup. We didn't win another game until he f*cked off after his 14th game. We didn't draw many either. We were relegated to league 3.

However, Raith gave him another chance in late 2001. He won 5 games out of 18, so was a good bit worse than the current incumbent. Raith finished bottom of old league 1and were relegated. Arbroath were only 13 points & 3 places clear of Raith that year.

Who was that crap manager?

Jocky Scott. 

Helped get a side containing Nacho Novo, as well as one of the best players to ever put on the navy blue, Paquito, relegated. 

6 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Got to admit I'm no really seeing it. In tiers of clubs I'd only have Raith one tier above most clubs in this league.

Massive time - Rangers/Sellik

Big Time - Aberdeen, Hearts, Hibs, United

Pretty big time - Dundee, Killie, Dunfermline, Falkirk, Motherwell, Partick Thistle, St Johnstone, St Mirren

4th Half Decent but no quite diddies - County, ICT

5th Good Diddies - Morton, Ayr, QOTS, Raith, Hamilton, Livingston

6th Decent diddies - Airdrie, Arbroath, Dumbarton, East Fife

7th No bad Diddies - Alloa, Forfar, Montrose, Peterhead, Clyde, Stirling, Elgin

8th Slightly Diddier - Stenny, Brechin, QP, Edinburgh City, Annan, Berwick, Stranraer

9th Uber Diddies - Cowdenbeath, Albion Rovers

That would be my personal Scottish football diddy tier

There is no way the Arabs are in the "BIG TIME" section, Aberdeen averages about 14,000 with Hertz and Hibs 16-18,000 and the Arabs about 5-6,000 so they should be in the group below.

9 hours ago, CALDERON said:

Jocky Scott. 

Helped get a side containing Nacho Novo, as well as one of the best players to ever put on the navy blue, Paquito, relegated. 

Paquito arrived with your username the following season mind... :lol: 

There is no way the Arabs are in the "BIG TIME" section, Aberdeen averages about 14,000 with Hertz and Hibs 16-18,000 and the Arabs about 5-6,000 so they should be in the group below.

Varying degree through all levels. Hearts and Hibs are really miles ahead of Aberdeen I'm sure. 16/17 compared to 12. United clearly 6th biggest Scottish team for me

I agree. Utd are no where near these days. Not sure they will ever be big time again with 2 teams in Dundee.

Archived