Rovers v Arbroath - the next instalment

I'll second this.

I watch all of L1 and L2 if nothing more than to pass a bit of time tbh.

I have developed an unhealthy obsession with our Johnny at Berwick though. If you thought some of the managers in this division were wallopers....

Aye seen some of his stuff too. [emoji23]

Perfect Sunday morning routine. Fire up YouTube on the Tele and go through all the games.

Better than Match of the Day.

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:
5 minutes ago, Beachbum said:
In truth we were miles away last season. Ayr, with their dodgy defence, kept throwing points away to keep the two of us close enough together but we were an awful team under Smith.

No you weren't. The title was decided on the last day of the season, not the middle of February.

I'm not disputing the facts but we were miles away in all the important games - ask any Ayr fans how bad we were, ask the Alloa fans. We could have played for 5 seasons under Smith and never been promoted.

Tbf I can understand the leeway McGlynn gets, given that he's a bit of a legend for Rovers fans, but if we're being completely honest he's failed miserably since returning to Raith. We also need to remember that he was out the of the 1st team management game for the best part of 4 years after a fairly honking spell at Hearts followed by an average spell at Livi. I certainly wouldn't be on here giving it the "diddy fans" patter considering your full-time outfit is currently sitting 16 points behind the leaders without any notable improvement since the appointment of McGlynn.

Any Rovers fans questioning what he's actually bringing to the table are quite right in doing so. There's reason he spent 4 years without a club touching him with a barge pole IMO. And FWIW Barry Smith at least had you within touching distance of a title, something that should be an absolute given for club like full-time Raith Rovers in this league.

All joking aside you are largely right here, for the most point. Our league performances since beating Stenny 5-1, have all been abysmal. The way we chucked it up at Brechin stands out as being particularly shameful, could have easily had them on toast by half time. Injuries and dead wood in our squad (a number of players simply are not good enough regardless of manager) only tell part of the story. McGlynn has got the tactics all wrong of late and the way we play simple must change or we will be dropping out of the play offs. If that were to happen, and it could, McGlynn would have no future at the club in my opinion. Never has the old mantra of “change it McGlynn” rung so true.

However I feel we are at a bit of a low ebb at the moment and if the results pick up a bit, more so performances, and we give the play offs a decent go it would be wrong to not give McGlynn next season. He’ll have a better opportunity to make changes in the summer and build a proper squad, which he didn’t a couple of times at least for us in the past. I say a proper squad as Smith did not leave us with one, no natural right back and only one real winger. Yes, Smith did get us very, very close to the title but I had no faith in him keeping us up and all the indications were he wasn’t going to take us any closer to a title this season. Nobody was upset when he left.

One of the reasons (and not the only one, I’m sure) McGlynn hasn’t had a manager’s job for four year is because for four years he was being paid be Celtic to be flown around Europe taking in some of the best teams on the continent, not a bad gig. It’s a cliche (and almost certainly not wholly true) but McGlynn was adamant that this was the only club he had any interest in returning to full time management with. I also don’t imagine he’d been needlessly mailing his CV in to every job that came up, like some former managers clearly do.

And as for the “diddy club” stuff... [emoji23]

Love this thread.

The fact is, Raith just aren’t very good this season. When you are in the market for the worst full time players available that will reflect on the team. That defence would give me the absolute fear, Davidson is finished and Benedictus looks very poor.

I hope Raith remain full time and keep McGlynn for a little while yet.

8 hours ago, theoriginalhedge said:

To blame all your woes  on Smith is somewhat harsh in my opinion.   No mention has been made of what your club  has done to help things .  It was mentioned earlier that one of the 1st things McGlynn did on appointment was to get rid of a pretty secure keeper.   Reading between the lines that was the last position  to start messing around with.   Since then it looks like McGlynn hasn't really strengthened or got rid in the last transfer window .................despite his links with Celtic who I'm sure  would have had a few decent young guys to  help him out at least till the end of the season.   

Compare that to Brechin.  I would say we were in a much worse predicament than Rovers .  We were in freefall under Dods . The morale of the whole club was down , the team had forgotten how to win due to lack of confidence and it looked for all the world as if we were dropping down again.  We lost our goalkeeper and Dods brought in Connor Brennan , a 3rd choice keeper at best who did absolutely nothing to boost the confidence .  Quite the reversein fact.  

Dods was punted and Barry came in , quickly identified the problem areas and told the committee who he wanted .  Obviously our budget had been well utilised by Dods so it was a case of freeing up wages to get the new guys in . One of the first to go was Brennan  which has proved to be the best move Smith has made .      Our committee did their best to help Barry and we made the best of the transfer window  to try and help  save our season. 

Despite numerous injuries along the way we are now seeing the signs of progress and the confidence is returning.  

I compare that to the progress McGlynn has made since his return to Rovers ...........and remember he had a good couple of months of a head start to Smith.    Could your board have helped any more ? Maybe that's the question to be asked . 

The goalkeeper you mentioned was injured for approx 6 weeks and returned to his parent club when the transfer window opened , Lewis Vaughan was out for 12 weeks then returned for 5 games  and is now out until October of next season, grant gilliespie was out for 9 weeks, Chris Duggan out for 9 weeks and now injured again , Reagan Hendry out for the season played about 5 games , Calum Crane out for 6 weeks, Daniel Armstrong left to Ross county after 5 games all under Mcglynn rein so really Brechin aren’t the only club who have suffered from injuries and add  to the fact Barry  Smith didn’t sign a right back we only had one winger and the midfield was well short no wonder we have struggled. To be honest I’ve been disappointed but Mcglynns hasn’t had it easy .

As for the club supporting the manager Vaughan’s had a groin operation and now an ACL operation this season which eats into the budget  along with a team short of basic cover and no cover at all in certain positions which Mcglynn inherited from Barry Smith . Fans of opposing clubs on this particular page appear to know more about Rovers than our own fans I only can comment on what I’ve seen and know about my club in the end of the day you think Barry Smith is a good manager but on the other hand the majority of the Rover support was glad to see the back of him. The time to judge any manager is when he can build his own team so I look forward to next season when Brechin win the league under super barry

Seems harsh to judge any manager on barely half a season. But in an era of instant gratification, maybe no surprise that even in these lower leagues the glib answer is always ‘change the manager’. Press Button A. Sure I’ve read research that there’s limited evidence of a new manager bounce in results. Plenty still to play for this season.

Going back 50 years, Arbroath once beat Raith 0-1 in a ‘promotion decider at Starks Park. Huge crowd, special train run for Lichtie supporters etc but with only a few games to go (unlike this Sat with a third of the season left). Anyway, great joy in Arbroath, dismay in Fife. Arbroath then proceeded to lose at lowly Shire in the next fixture and Raith were eventually promoted.

Morals of the story - ups and downs change quickly so don’t get too hung up on either, don’t count your chickens, one swallow.., a bird in the hand.. and so on.

The last part-time team to win the third tier was Cowdenbeath back in 2011-12, and to the best of my knowledge, all ten teams were part time that season.

The whole, “worst full time team versus best part time team” scenario doesn’t seem to have been an issue for every full time winner since, so I’m not sure that argument really stacks up to be quite honest.

8 hours ago, basher brash said:

The goalkeeper you mentioned was injured for approx 6 weeks and returned to his parent club when the transfer window opened , Lewis Vaughan was out for 12 weeks then returned for 5 games  and is now out until October of next season, grant gilliespie was out for 9 weeks, Chris Duggan out for 9 weeks and now injured again , Reagan Hendry out for the season played about 5 games , Calum Crane out for 6 weeks, Daniel Armstrong left to Ross county after 5 games all under Mcglynn rein so really Brechin aren’t the only club who have suffered from injuries and add  to the fact Barry  Smith didn’t sign a right back we only had one winger and the midfield was well short no wonder we have struggled. To be honest I’ve been disappointed but Mcglynns hasn’t had it easy .

As for the club supporting the manager Vaughan’s had a groin operation and now an ACL operation this season which eats into the budget  along with a team short of basic cover and no cover at all in certain positions which Mcglynn inherited from Barry Smith . Fans of opposing clubs on this particular page appear to know more about Rovers than our own fans I only can comment on what I’ve seen and know about my club in the end of the day you think Barry Smith is a good manager but on the other hand the majority of the Rover support was glad to see the back of him. The time to judge any manager is when he can build his own team so I look forward to next season when Brechin win the league under super barry

I hope you are right , but with McGlyn building his own super force I think it could be quite a tussle in League 1 next season. 

10 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:
10 hours ago, Beachbum said:
In truth we were miles away last season. Ayr, with their dodgy defence, kept throwing points away to keep the two of us close enough together but we were an awful team under Smith.

No you weren't. The title was decided on the last day of the season, not the middle of February.

Unfortunately, losing the title is still losing the title. It was handed on a fucking silver platter as well. 

Got what it's worth, McGlynn is in a very similar situation to Duffy it appears - in terms of not getting it right straight away and having to work with shit squads. 

Unfortunately, losing the title is still losing the title. It was handed on a fucking silver platter as well. 
Got what it's worth, McGlynn is in a very similar situation to Duffy it appears - in terms of not getting it right straight away and having to work with shit squads. 
Of course it is, but it isn't "miles away" as was claimed.

And I agree. I've been fairly critical of Duffy's time in charge so far, it hasn't been good enough, shite squad or not.

The last part-time team to win the third tier was Cowdenbeath back in 2011-12, and to the best of my knowledge, all ten teams were part time that season.

The whole, “worst full time team versus best part time team” scenario doesn’t seem to have been an issue for every full time winner since, so I’m not sure that argument really stacks up to be quite honest.

We were runners up. 3 of the top 4 got to the championship that season and we weren't one.

18 hours ago, CALDERON said:

It's weird how fans of other clubs feel the need to go as far as watching Mcglynns interviews every week.

There's a real obsession when it comes to the Rovers these days, really bizarre. 

17 hours ago, Brashy's Boots said:

Cannae get moving in this Rovers v Arbroath thread for punters from other clubs....

16 hours ago, Raithie said:

Singleton found...probably a virgin.

Raith fans here desperately wishing folk would go away and stop laughing at them (for the record I am not laughing).

It's a multi-club forum and this thread involves the top two teams in pretty much a title decider. If you can't understand why that has drawn some extra attention then I'm afraid we can't help you. I agree with others though - I watch all the highlights and most post match comments from the games in this league, there's no special obsession with Raith Rovers I don't think. You're the only full time team in the league so it's always going to make you a target for banter when things go pear shaped.

31 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Raith fans here desperately wishing folk would go away and stop laughing at them (for the record I am not laughing).

It's a multi-club forum and this thread involves the top two teams in pretty much a title decider. If you can't understand why that has drawn some extra attention then I'm afraid we can't help you. I agree with others though - I watch all the highlights and most post match comments from the games in this league, there's no special obsession with Raith Rovers I don't think. You're the only full time team in the league so it's always going to make you a target for banter when things go pear shaped.

To be fair, fans of several other clubs swarm around our threads most weeks. This "title decider :lol:" is nothing new. 

Just now, CALDERON said:

To be fair, fans of several other clubs swarm around our threads most weeks. This "title decider :lol:" is nothing new. 

Fans of what clubs though?  The ones I see having a go at you are East Fife, Dunfermline and Arbroath fans. The two former are your local rivals and you were battling with Arbroath for the title (I concede "battling" may be too strong a word, but you catch my drift).

Claiming "obsession" is a very Old Firm thing to do and is especially weird when you support Raith Rovers. Why would anyone be obsessed with an entirely inoffensive club such as Raith?

Fans of what clubs though?  The ones I see having a go at you are East Fife, Dunfermline and Arbroath fans. The two former are your local rivals and you were battling with Arbroath for the title (I concede "battling" may be too strong a word, but you catch my drift).
Claiming "obsession" is a very Old Firm thing to do and is especially weird when you support Raith Rovers. Why would anyone be obsessed with an entirely inoffensive club such as Raith?
You still here, going on about the Rovers?

Archived