Rovers v Arbroath - the next instalment

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Brechin signed Scobbie and Toshney. We wanted Munro but Forfar wouldn't let him come, Munro is very close to a lot of our squad. If we really wanted someone I'm sure we would've got somebody.

It's what has annoyed me about some Raith fans and McGlynn, earlier on in the season you'd think that the only reason we were top was because Smith was in charge of you. Then McGlynn comes in, he was appointed after just 7 games, you were only 4 points behind, and he makes more of a c**t of it than Smith.

Toshney is a great signing for Brechin I’ll give you that. Despite the way he left us I’d still have taken him back but given his injury record and our luck with injuries he’d have been out for the season by now. I think the cost of Vaughan’s operation has probably dented our budget as an unexpected cost and knocked any further signings on the head unfortunately.

You are correct to complain about the attitude that we were only behind you due to Smith. We all know we are only behind you due to injuries! ;).

35 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

The strange thing about all this is despite the obvious hatred of Smith and his " tactical ability"  most Rovers fans are more annoyed that he just walked away.  

It seems , to the outsider at least , a case of " How Dare He  just leave a club like ours " .............Even though he was generally despised. 

I’m sorry but that is nonsense. Most Rovers fans were delighted and relieved we didn’t have to pay to get rid of him. Just wish he’d done the decent thing 3 months earlier and we might not have been in such a mess right now.

Amazing how the diddy fans can’t understand that McGlynn gets an “easy ride” because he previously took us from a worse position to our highest league placing since we came down from the premiership and took us too a Scottish cup final. Any managers at Brechin/Arbroath/East Fife manages a Scottish Cup Semi or 2nd in the Championship lately?

E65BCA73-28D1-40C2-AA2B-1CB9D8EF2588-2098-000001DB8B29DA00.jpg

And, no, he’s not the messiah but he’s a better bet than a complete imposter like Barry Smith.

Amazing how the diddy fans can’t understand that McGlynn gets an “easy ride” because he previously took us from a worse position to our highest league placing since we came down from the premiership and took us too a Scottish cup final. Any managers at Brechin/Arbroath/East Fife manages a Scottish Cup Semi or 2nd in the Championship lately?

E65BCA73-28D1-40C2-AA2B-1CB9D8EF2588-2098-000001DB8B29DA00.thumb.jpg.4161b7302a8bce3c425495bee8f29691.jpg

And, no, he’s not the messiah but he’s a better bet than a complete imposter like Barry Smith.

Think I had a semi after the last couple of times we played the Rovers tbh!!!

14 minutes ago, Enigma said:

While ago now  but we had a manager that went on to manage his country at the world cup and got an MBE  but never reached the dizzy heights of managing RR something I am sure he regrets

While ago now  but we had a manager that went on to manage his country at the world cup and got an MBE  but never reached the dizzy heights of managing RR something I am sure he regrets

Maybe thats the reason he knocked the Scotland gig down .He thought the mighty Rovers would come calling .

2 hours ago, theoriginalhedge said:

The strange thing about all this is despite the obvious hatred of Smith and his " tactical ability"  most Rovers fans are more annoyed that he just walked away.  

It seems , to the outsider at least , a case of " How Dare He  just leave a club like ours " .............Even though he was generally despised. 

This is why there is a genuine interest in what McGlynn achieves .  We are not desperate for the fans to turn on him .......quite the opposite .......just more amused at the fans trying to justify the lack of progress so far.  The longer this goes on the better in our opinion . ;)8)

Personally more annoyed that apart from him and our illustrious board no reason given for walking away or being gently pushed

56 minutes ago, R.R.FC said:

I’m sorry but that is nonsense. Most Rovers fans were delighted and relieved we didn’t have to pay to get rid of him. Just wish he’d done the decent thing 3 months earlier and we might not have been in such a mess right now.

To blame all your woes  on Smith is somewhat harsh in my opinion.   No mention has been made of what your club  has done to help things .  It was mentioned earlier that one of the 1st things McGlynn did on appointment was to get rid of a pretty secure keeper.   Reading between the lines that was the last position  to start messing around with.   Since then it looks like McGlynn hasn't really strengthened or got rid in the last transfer window .................despite his links with Celtic who I'm sure  would have had a few decent young guys to  help him out at least till the end of the season.   

Compare that to Brechin.  I would say we were in a much worse predicament than Rovers .  We were in freefall under Dods . The morale of the whole club was down , the team had forgotten how to win due to lack of confidence and it looked for all the world as if we were dropping down again.  We lost our goalkeeper and Dods brought in Connor Brennan , a 3rd choice keeper at best who did absolutely nothing to boost the confidence .  Quite the reversein fact.  

Dods was punted and Barry came in , quickly identified the problem areas and told the committee who he wanted .  Obviously our budget had been well utilised by Dods so it was a case of freeing up wages to get the new guys in . One of the first to go was Brennan  which has proved to be the best move Smith has made .      Our committee did their best to help Barry and we made the best of the transfer window  to try and help  save our season. 

Despite numerous injuries along the way we are now seeing the signs of progress and the confidence is returning.  

I compare that to the progress McGlynn has made since his return to Rovers ...........and remember he had a good couple of months of a head start to Smith.    Could your board have helped any more ? Maybe that's the question to be asked . 

56 minutes ago, Enigma said:

This is  the pure " big boy "  mentality which has left you where you are now. 

2 hours ago, Enigma said:

What are you on about 'took us to a Scottish Cup final' ?  Unless I am mistaken, he wasn't the manager in season 1912-13, the only Scottish Cup final you have ever managed to get to - and lost of course.

1 hour ago, theoriginalhedge said:

To blame all your woes  on Smith is somewhat harsh in my opinion.   No mention has been made of what your club  has done to help things .  It was mentioned earlier that one of the 1st things McGlynn did on appointment was to get rid of a pretty secure keeper.   Reading between the lines that was the last position  to start messing around with.   Since then it looks like McGlynn hasn't really strengthened or got rid in the last transfer window .................despite his links with Celtic who I'm sure  would have had a few decent young guys to  help him out at least till the end of the season.   

Compare that to Brechin.  I would say we were in a much worse predicament than Rovers .  We were in freefall under Dods . The morale of the whole club was down , the team had forgotten how to win due to lack of confidence and it looked for all the world as if we were dropping down again.  We lost our goalkeeper and Dods brought in Connor Brennan , a 3rd choice keeper at best who did absolutely nothing to boost the confidence .  Quite the reversein fact.  

Dods was punted and Barry came in , quickly identified the problem areas and told the committee who he wanted .  Obviously our budget had been well utilised by Dods so it was a case of freeing up wages to get the new guys in . One of the first to go was Brennan  which has proved to be the best move Smith has made .      Our committee did their best to help Barry and we made the best of the transfer window  to try and help  save our season. 

Despite numerous injuries along the way we are now seeing the signs of progress and the confidence is returning.  

I compare that to the progress McGlynn has made since his return to Rovers ...........and remember he had a good couple of months of a head start to Smith.    Could your board have helped any more ? Maybe that's the question to be asked . 

Releasing Kieran Wright wasn’t one of the first things Mcglynn done – he was injured when he came in – one of the first things Mcglynn did was to find a replacement. Then, when his loan was up, he decided to sign a permanent goalkeeper rather than another loan one.

Sometimes managers just don’t work at certain clubs. Smith didn’t work at the Rovers, didn’t last season, and showed little to suggest he would this season. Even by start of September there were massive warning signs there, and Arbroath would still have went on their huge winning run which has effectively sealed the league. The squad was soft as shite last season, and this seasons squad are weaker – so the same thing would likely have happened again. Only in the 4-0 win against Forfar did we play particularly well. 

I don’t know why fans of other clubs are so bothered. Smith had an entire season and a bit to prove he was up to the job, which included building 2 squads. I’ll judge Mcglynn over a similar time period.

Smith has came in and galvanised Brechin, good on him. That doesn’t mean his time at the Rovers was a success, and without any disrespect intended, galvanising a decent enough side at this level to steer them to safety is a different task than getting a side promoted. Smith seems to do best in that type of situation, like at Dundee when he had to galvanise the club and the squad. Again, fair play to him, but he has fallen well short with us when it came to actually constructing a squad capable of winning this league.

We had a strike force last season who had scored a combined 50+ goals the season before, yet were constrained by some god awful tactics and football last season. Any time we played at a ground which allowed fans to hear the dugouts, you could audibly here Smith encouraging the ball to go long to players that couldn’t play like that. 

Mcglynn has made mistakes, but again, I’d like to see him assemble a squad of his own and take it from there. If we are still in this predicament next season, then its absolutely time to re-address – but until then I think some patience is required.

Mcglynn didn’t work miracles last time, it took him a few seasons to get us up – but he rebuilt a squad of utter shit and turned them into league winners. From 2006 > 2011 we improved every single season as he got more and more right – and he actually came within 3 games from a frankly ridiculous achievement. I don’t really think its fair to write him off yet after what has been 5 months.

It's weird how fans of other clubs feel the need to go as far as watching Mcglynns interviews every week.
There's a real obsession when it comes to the Rovers these days, really bizarre. 

I watch all the highlights and interviews from the clubs in this league

13 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

Releasing Kieran Wright wasn’t one of the first things Mcglynn done – he was injured when he came in – one of the first things Mcglynn did was to find a replacement. Then, when his loan was up, he decided to sign a permanent goalkeeper rather than another loan one.

Sometimes managers just don’t work at certain clubs. Smith didn’t work at the Rovers, didn’t last season, and showed little to suggest he would this season. Even by start of September there were massive warning signs there, and Arbroath would still have went on their huge winning run which has effectively sealed the league. The squad was soft as shite last season, and this seasons squad are weaker – so the same thing would likely have happened again. Only in the 4-0 win against Forfar did we play particularly well. 

I don’t know why fans of other clubs are so bothered. Smith had an entire season and a bit to prove he was up to the job, which included building 2 squads. I’ll judge Mcglynn over a similar time period.

Smith has came in and galvanised Brechin, good on him. That doesn’t mean his time at the Rovers was a success, and without any disrespect intended, galvanising a decent enough side at this level to steer them to safety is a different task than getting a side promoted. Smith seems to do best in that type of situation, like at Dundee when he had to galvanise the club and the squad. Again, fair play to him, but he has fallen well short with us when it came to actually constructing a squad capable of winning this league.

We had a strike force last season who had scored a combined 50+ goals the season before, yet were constrained by some god awful tactics and football last season. Any time we played at a ground which allowed fans to hear the dugouts, you could audibly here Smith encouraging the ball to go long to players that couldn’t play like that. 

Mcglynn has made mistakes, but again, I’d like to see him assemble a squad of his own and take it from there. If we are still in this predicament next season, then its absolutely time to re-address – but until then I think some patience is required.

Mcglynn didn’t work miracles last time, it took him a few seasons to get us up – but he rebuilt a squad of utter shit and turned them into league winners. From 2006 > 2011 we improved every single season as he got more and more right – and he actually came within 3 games from a frankly ridiculous achievement. I don’t really think its fair to write him off yet after what has been 5 months.

That is a fair and honest post of how you see things but I thought your club's main priority was to get promotion this season ?  As an onlooker it seems that McGlynn is happy with the squad he has  available to do this otherwise he would have desperately shipped some of the dead wood out and brought in some who he thought would make a difference.  You still have that same 50= strikeforce now but even he can't get the best out of them.  Sometimes the players  have to look at themselves and ask "can I do better ? "  You can only blame a manager so long. 

On the keeper situation,  I was following up on the comment below. 

18 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

To be fair you have a point. We humped Forfar 4-0 in Smith’s last game with this team: Raith: Wright, Watson,Murray,Duggan, Gillespie, Buchanan, Matthews, Wedderburn, Nisbet, Flanagan, McKay

McGlynn decided Wright (our only ‘keeper who looked like a ‘keeper) was surplus to requirements. McGlynn must have just got lucky with McGurn. He is fucking rotten at scouting ‘keepers. That’s a real weakness for him.

He doesn’t fancy playing Watson. He doesn’t fancy playing McKay. Too young and he hates youngsters. Buchanan has fallen out of favour, as has Matthews.

17 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

That is a fair and honest post of how you see things but I thought your club's main priority was to get promotion this season ?  As an onlooker it seems that McGlynn is happy with the squad he has  available to do this otherwise he would have desperately shipped some of the dead wood out and brought in some who he thought would make a difference.  You still have that same 50= strikeforce now but even he can't get the best out of them.  Sometimes the players  have to look at themselves and ask "can I do better ? "  You can only blame a manager so long. 

On the keeper situation,  I was following up on the comment below. 

He was absolutely brought here to win promotion straight away. I like many others thought Mcglynn would have a bigger, and quicker impact – and to be fair when his first game in charge was the best I’ve seen us play in years, its easy to get carried away a bit.

It was clear that he was going to base his squad around Regan Hendry and Lewis Vaughan, and he’s lost both to long term injury. Not an excuse, but in an already thin squad- that was always going to throw a pretty huge spanner in there. The remaining players aren’t good enough to carry that, they are a supporting cast at best – and his efforts to replace the quality in the additions he has brought in haven’t worked out yet.

Also Arbroath have been fantastic and are probably a better all round squad than Ayr last season – as Ayr without Shankland were prone to being a bit shit at times. Just my view though. I expected Arbroath to be a good side this season, as they proved in the second half of last season they were no mugs at all, but I thought we would have enough to finish above them. Emphatically wrong, but there we go.

The strikeforce I was referring to was Spence and Buchannan – both of whom were superb the season before in this league, and certainly were anything but last season. 

Also, in defence of both Smith and Mcglynn, the players need to take a bit of blame. In theory, Wedderburn, Gillespie and Crane should be standouts at this level – they aren’t. Benedictus, Davidson, Murray,Thomson,Flanagan and Duggan should be able to do better than they have. Add to that the loss of Vaughan and Hendry, then it leaves Nisbet as the only real player of quality. And he has been massively off the boil since the new year. 

Failure to go up this season is still failure, absolutely. But getting rid of Mcglynn would leave us looking for our seventh manager since 2015, and for a club that is regularly chastised for being short-sighted – far from ideal. The usual names (Lennon) would get trotted out but they would likely a. Not want the job, or b. Not be much better than Mcglynn in all honesty. We are bottom of the pile in terms of FT football and probably behind a couple of PT clubs in terms of desirability. When we lose players to PT clubs on account of a shit salary on offer, then its not a great advert. We have a manager who has built us up from this position before, so I reckon he needs at least the Summer and the start of next season – and I reckon he will get that regardless.

Archived