Rovers v Arbroath - the next instalment

3 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

Steady up there chief ,  I didn't mean to set you into a seething rage . 

Dods was average .   We finished 4th that season  losing more games than we won .  As for the sacking , honestly , do you think your club would have let Dods go a full season without a win ?  ................That's a rhetorical question by the way. 

Because I don’t agree with your opinion I’m seething?

I suffered a whole season watching Barry Smiths horrific style of football but your stating  your opinion on say 10 games ? Dodds still got you promoted probably against all the odds in 4th place . Barry Smith couldn’t do it last season with more resources but your right he’s fantastic and I’m gutted he’s no longer the Rovers manager . I look forward to you winning the league next season

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, basher brash said:

Because I don’t agree with your opinion I’m seething?

I suffered a whole season watching Barry Smiths horrific style of football but your stating  your opinion on say 10 games ? Dodds still got you promoted probably against all the odds in 4th place . Barry Smith couldn’t do it last season with more resources but your right he’s fantastic and I’m gutted he’s no longer the Rovers manager . I look forward to you winning the league next season

No because you are talking shite and resorting to insults rather than fact. 

37 minutes ago, King Kebab said:

You were top of the League and unbeaten when Smith left how does that compare to Professor Honeydew's record with the same players, just wondering like???

To be fair you have a point. We humped Forfar 4-0 in Smith’s last game with this team: Raith: Wright, Watson,Murray,Duggan, Gillespie, Buchanan, Matthews, Wedderburn, Nisbet, Flanagan, McKay

McGlynn decided Wright (our only ‘keeper who looked like a ‘keeper) was surplus to requirements. McGlynn must have just got lucky with McGurn. He is fucking rotten at scouting ‘keepers. That’s a real weakness for him.

He doesn’t fancy playing Watson. He doesn’t fancy playing McKay. Too young and he hates youngsters. Buchanan has fallen out of favour, as has Matthews.

5 minutes ago, King Kebab said:

By no stretch of the imagination am I saying Smith is a great manager but he appears to have achieved better results than McGlynn has with the self same bunch of wage thieves yet to the casual observer, McGlynn still appears to get an easy ride from the majority of the Raith support!!!

He was in charge of 4 league games 2 wins and 2 draws and lost to Cowdenbeath and Cove in the cup ? We stole the point against East Fife unless you all have changed your mind and we’re lucky against Airdrie , so like wise as a casual observer why has Darren Young done better this season because it’s his own team perhaps? If Mcglynn gets any easy ride why would that concern an East Fife fan? Or is it the usual obsession with everything that is Raith Rovers.

12 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

No because you are talking shite and resorting to insults rather than fact. 

Where in my reply did I insult you ? so because I have a opinion I’m talking shite ! I’ve watched 60 odd  Rovers games under Smiths stewardship and I believe hes crap you on the other hand are being insulting because I’m airing my opinion

1 hour ago, basher brash said:

He was in charge of 4 league games 2 wins and 2 draws and lost to Cowdenbeath and Cove in the cup ? We stole the point against East Fife unless you all have changed your mind and we’re lucky against Airdrie , so like wise as a casual observer why has Darren Young done better this season because it’s his own team perhaps? If Mcglynn gets any easy ride why would that concern an East Fife fan? Or is it the usual obsession with everything that is Raith Rovers.

No, even if you include last season, he has still done better than McGlynn!!!

And as for why it bothers me, it doesn't but I do like to try and work out the skewed logic of the average Raith fan, it amuses me!!!

7 hours ago, King Kebab said:

No, even if you include last season, he has still done better than McGlynn!!!

And as for why it bothers me, it doesn't but I do like to try and work out the skewed logic of the average Raith fan, it amuses me!!!

He was certainly better at beating East Fife. You’ll always remember that 5-0 scudding.

9 hours ago, basher brash said:

Where in my reply did I insult you ? so because I have a opinion I’m talking shite ! I’ve watched 60 odd  Rovers games under Smiths stewardship and I believe hes crap you on the other hand are being insulting because I’m airing my opinion

You didn't insult me at all.  Your  hatred of Smith has obviously swayed your opinion on how our last match panned out . The insult  aimed at our striker I realise was your attempt at humour . 

The tone however suggests otherwise. 

Keep raging though . It's good to get it all out. 

1 hour ago, Scary Bear said:

He was certainly better at beating East Fife. You’ll always remember that 5-0 scudding.

That's actually a good example, your last point against us was the one a Smith-inspired side stole off us at your place in September!!!

I don’t understand why other fans are so desperate for us to turn on McGlynn? The fans are showing patience because he has a proven track record of achieving what we require. Although he was a better Championship manager for us than League 1 if that makes sense.

However, the recent form is a concern and nobody is ignoring that, if we don’t make the play offs he should go but other than that he deserves the chance to put his own team together and see how they get on.

It’s strange that the East Fife fans don’t understand that. If they had got rid of Young last season like most of their fans wanted before he built his own team they wouldn’t of had their most successful season in years. Arbroath fans may correct me if I’m wrong but I’m sure Campbell didn’t make them instantly brilliant after taking over. It took him till the summer to build his own side. 

7 minutes ago, R.R.FC said:

I don’t understand why other fans are so desperate for us to turn on McGlynn? The fans are showing patience because he has a proven track record of achieving what we require. Although he was a better Championship manager for us than League 1 if that makes sense.

However, the recent form is a concern and nobody is ignoring that, if we don’t make the play offs he should go but other than that he deserves the chance to put his own team together and see how they get on.

It’s strange that the East Fife fans don’t understand that. If they had got rid of Young last season like most of their fans wanted before he built his own team they wouldn’t of had their most successful season in years. Arbroath fans may correct me if I’m wrong but I’m sure Campbell didn’t make them instantly brilliant after taking over. It took him till the summer to build his own side. 

Think its a case they all know mcglynn will sort it for next season but they want the rovers to pull the trigger and sack him before the seasons out.

Campbell took over in the March and kept us up. He did his job

Well maybe it's because when he first came in it was the revolution and you were going to win the league because of it and you'd finally got rid of Smith who was so terrible etc etc etc.

And turns out McGlynn has been even worse.

McGlynn has signed a few players hasn't he? How many is he needing to sign? He sticks with the same defence every week and never signed any defenders in January despite so many Rovers fan moaning about the defence on here. Same guys play, others don't get the chance. He says the same shite in his interviews every single week and also comes across like a bit of a dick.

I'm just amazed at how much leeway he's getting, imagine it was Smith.

51 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Well maybe it's because when he first came in it was the revolution and you were going to win the league because of it and you'd finally got rid of Smith who was so terrible etc etc etc.

And turns out McGlynn has been even worse.

McGlynn has signed a few players hasn't he? How many is he needing to sign? He sticks with the same defence every week and never signed any defenders in January despite so many Rovers fan moaning about the defence on here. Same guys play, others don't get the chance. He says the same shite in his interviews every single week and also comes across like a bit of a dick.

I'm just amazed at how much leeway he's getting, imagine it was Smith.

You’re really not getting it. Your last sentence is already answered in my first paragraph. He gets leeway because he took us from 2nd bottom of this league to a title challenge in the championship and a Scottish cup semi final in 5 seasons with year on year improvement. 

Smith has achieved nothing in management so there was nothing to suggest he could improve things. McGlynn’s track record suggests given time he will improve things. If we drop out the play offs the pressure will be on and he’ll go but otherwise he deserves a chance.

Look at other managers around Scotland who have taken over midway through this season. Not one of them had major improvement immediately barring possibly Murray at Airdrie but they are now struggling again. The ones who have started to turn things round (Neilson, Caldwell, McKinnon etc) have all done so with almost entirely new teams. We can’t fund that in January.

McGlynn has made some signings but it’s hardly been an ideal time to get players in. He had about 3 days to get loan players in before the window closed when he first took over. Then signed Armstrong who nobody had wanted for 3-4 months of the season. January is notoriously difficult to get quality players in also but I will concede his January business hasn’t been inspiring. A summer window is the best and easiest time to build a squad, unfortunately that was fucked up massively by Smith this year.

With regards to not signing defenders in  January, who was available? Nobody is letting experienced quality defenders go in January. Certainly none that we can afford. You own team was looking for defensive cover but didn’t add anyone.

As for him coming across as a dick in his interviews I fail to see what that has to do with anything? I’d expect most sensible Arbroath fans cringe a little bit with every Dick Campbell interview and touchline ban, it doesn’t mean he isn’t a successful manager at this level or that they’d want him to leave. 

You’re really not getting it. Your last sentence is already answered in my first paragraph. He gets leeway because he took us from 2nd bottom of this league to a title challenge in the championship and a Scottish cup semi final in 5 seasons with year on year improvement. 
Smith has achieved nothing in management so there was nothing to suggest he could improve things. McGlynn’s track record suggests given time he will improve things. If we drop out the play offs the pressure will be on and he’ll go but otherwise he deserves a chance.
Look at other managers around Scotland who have taken over midway through this season. Not one of them had major improvement immediately barring possibly Murray at Airdrie but they are now struggling again. The ones who have started to turn things round (Neilson, Caldwell, McKinnon etc) have all done so with almost entirely new teams. We can’t fund that in January.
McGlynn has made some signings but it’s hardly been an ideal time to get players in. He had about 3 days to get loan players in before the window closed when he first took over. Then signed Armstrong who nobody had wanted for 3-4 months of the season. January is notoriously difficult to get quality players in also but I will concede his January business hasn’t been inspiring. A summer window is the best and easiest time to build a squad, unfortunately that was fucked up massively by Smith this year.
With regards to not signing defenders in  January, who was available? Nobody is letting experienced quality defenders go in January. Certainly none that we can afford. You own team was looking for defensive cover but didn’t add anyone.
As for him coming across as a dick in his interviews I fail to see what that has to do with anything? I’d expect most sensible Arbroath fans cringe a little bit with every Dick Campbell interview and touchline ban, it doesn’t mean he isn’t a successful manager at this level or that they’d want him to leave. 

Brechin signed Scobbie and Toshney. We wanted Munro but Forfar wouldn't let him come, Munro is very close to a lot of our squad. If we really wanted someone I'm sure we would've got somebody.

It's what has annoyed me about some Raith fans and McGlynn, earlier on in the season you'd think that the only reason we were top was because Smith was in charge of you. Then McGlynn comes in, he was appointed after just 7 games, you were only 4 points behind, and he makes more of a c**t of it than Smith.

2 hours ago, R.R.FC said:

The strange thing about all this is despite the obvious hatred of Smith and his " tactical ability"  most Rovers fans are more annoyed that he just walked away.  

It seems , to the outsider at least , a case of " How Dare He  just leave a club like ours " .............Even though he was generally despised. 

This is why there is a genuine interest in what McGlynn achieves .  We are not desperate for the fans to turn on him .......quite the opposite .......just more amused at the fans trying to justify the lack of progress so far.  The longer this goes on the better in our opinion . ;)8)

Archived