Rovers v Arbroath - the next instalment

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, CALDERON said:

Some impressive booing at full time I thought. Loudest for some time. 

We should focus on the positives. Our booing is right up there with the best Scotland has to offer.

8 minutes ago, Raith Against The Machine said:
32 minutes ago, Beachbum said:
Brutal tackle by Benedictus but absolutely pathetic attempt at a tackle by Barjonas leading up to it.
c9V1TbT.gif&key=470b00339d0c1dc5769c97a44f92ec730f65723292a25a3e8db20a54ce978856

Fucking hell, "pea hearted" is doing a disservice to peas.

Flanagan shat out a 50/50 with the 'keeper early on too. 

*Sigh. 

That's disgraceful from Bene - no attempt to play the ball and should've been a red card.

All I can hear when I see that Barjonas attempt at a challenge is that interview when Hughes went full 'yer da' and went on about PASHIN! 

It's regrettably at the stage where I hate the mere sight of even seeing certain players' name on the teamsheet. 

1 hour ago, lichtie23 said:

But will you stay full time?

Hopefully not because we are currently paying full time wages for sub standard part time players and when you watch other teams in the league like yourselves who are comfortably better than us you beg the question why stay full time. Good luck you guys worthy champions but as for the Rovers back to the drawing board and imo go part time next season and try and cherry pick the best players in league one who are out of contract .

16 hours ago, grumswall said:

Stats perhaps, but not facts. Robert s? By any chance.

You set up to nick a goal on the break and defend the lead. It worked, congratulations. We were shit and didn't muster a save from jamieson the entire game. I'm not sure that's entirely different from what mcglynn said?

I disagree with him with his obvious tactic of getting in behind today. It didn't work the first 5 times despite the high line you were playing and he left it too late to add pace up top to give it a chance of working.

But let's not let reasoned chat get in the way of your trolling.

Eta: DA your struggling if your coming down here for Charles.

Set up to nick a point.... 

Na we set up to play counter attack which worked really well. 

Lets not forget our Manager has Arbroath 16points clear and the best your manager can do after losing is accuse Arbroath of coming for a draw "and nicking a win" 

Classless comment and moving the focus off the fact your team is honking.

4 hours ago, SotesBornalichtie said:

Great result, it's been a while since we last beat Raith and before the game I thought taking 1 point would be a good result after last week, but to take all 3 is terrific.

Just watched the highlights and Hamilton's goal must be up there for goal of the season. It wasn't spectacular but I think everyone in the ground thought he was going to hammer it, but he did the unexpected and coolly slotted it in with the Raith keeper and defence starting to go the wrong way. Great goal worthy of winning the match.

Well done the Raith fans who applauded us off the pitch at the end of the game, it must be hard for them to be so many points behind when they must have expected to be doing much better at the start of the season.

It's all Barry Smith's fault. 

The Raith fans have been remarkably patient with McGlynn, the last time a full time club was this far off the pace was when we were a shambles in league one. As we proved its perfectly capable to turn things the next season providing you have a decent manager.  Is McGlynn that man though? If we stay up and were not in the playoffs I'd much rather Raith came up than any other of the sides that might be in the playoffs outwith ourselves. 

I'm not sure going to part time is the answer though. 

20 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

The Raith fans have been remarkably patient with McGlynn, the last time a full time club was this far off the pace was when we were a shambles in league one. As we proved its perfectly capable to turn things the next season providing you have a decent manager.  Is McGlynn that man though? If we stay up and were not in the playoffs I'd much rather Raith came up than any other of the sides that might be in the playoffs outwith ourselves. 

McGlynn might be the man, I would like to see how he does in the summer.  He has inherited a shit squad from Smith, and the two players he was going to build it round are both injured. But he hasn't had anywhere near the impsct hoped. 

He seems intent on playing a passing game, that isn't really doing anything. It's almost like he's trying to the opposite of what made him successful in the past. Perhaps trying to prove he learned something at Celtic, but our main weakness areas where areas where he excelled before (hence many fans, not all, but many were very happy to see him here). A Mcglynn side that can't defend and have no heart is pretty useless to be honest. 

Pressures on regardless. I'm pretty patient at the moment, but there's a real danger we won't finish in the top four and if that happens there's no real defence. 

Part time probably isn't the answer, but doing full time on the cheap, by assembling a thin, woefully unbalanced squad of average players and hoping full time training makes them not shite certainly isn't the answer. 

6 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

I don't think part time is the answer myself, but it's very hard to justify when so many part time players work on the side in the fitness industry rather than the traditional joiners and plumbers. If you look at the likes of Leighton McIntosh or Scott Agnew (both of whom have scored against us this season), they work on the side as P/Ts so it doesn't really have an impact come 5pm on a Saturday. 

The reality is we need to gut the squad. We've already signed up Benedictus and Flanagan on extended deals and both haven't shown anything to justify their new deals so far (though this might be harsh for Benedictus).  Benedictus has had one good season under McKinnon but he's now pretty on a third year of looking questionable. In January, pretty much everyone identified that we needed to bring in a creative midfielder, a winger and (perhaps most importantly) a right back. We got a "creative" midfielder who looks to be next in a long line of loanees from Murray Park with a rotten attitude (Ryan Hardie and Kieran Wright are the only two who have somewhat impressed), A winger who is more suited to being played in the hole, and no right back as we persist with Euan Murray (who was solid at left back and decent in the middle, but never a right back) or Grant Gillespie. 

As it stands, I'd quite happily see us punt Thomson, Davidson (it'll be a celebration if he's to retire), Watson, Matthews, Flanagan, Duggan and Buchanan and not have McGuffie or Barjonas. The only one I'd really hesitate over is Buchanan, who has scored more goals this season but doesn't have the legs now. Even then, I'd raise questions over the consistency of Gillespie. 

I'm a fan of McGlynn, and think he'll get things right in the long term, but this season is a write off and no Rovers fan will say he's without fault. He has stuck by dross like Davidson for far too long. He's been unfortunate in that key players like Vaughan and Hendry, who are genuine attacking threats, picked up season ending injuries. The board also need to take their share of the blame too. Failing to get promoted last season was a sackable offence but they stuck with Smith and then didn't back him with full support. I'm of the view we need to stick with McGlynn, and while this season has been a disaster in terms of the league need consistency. 

The real unfortunate thing is that it feels like the first time in years that the club are interacting with the fans. Our match day app engages the fans, the social media output since December has been second to none at this level, we've got the club looking at engaging with younger fans through stuff like the Roary Club and the singing section at the back. Everything between 5pm on a Saturday through to 3pm the following Saturday is showing we're getting things right off the pitch. But the product on the pitch and the players let the club down time and time again with no leaders. 

8 minutes ago, Raithie said:

He’s getting an easy ride because of his past successes at the club.

To be fair, that same success is exactly what he has been employed to do again so it's understandable fans are being more patient with someone who has track record in that as opposed to someone like Smith. 

We’ll have no choice in the matter Grant

Archived