Club Badges

1 hour ago, CapitalDiamond said:

Dundee United were forced to change by the Lord Lyon’s procurator fiscal.

Did he time travel to do it? I was responding to a post that asked why quite a few clubs changed their crest in the late 80's/ early 90's

1) Dundee United used the badge depicted in trademark UK00001334535 until season 1992-93

2) The first kit to feature the new circular badge depicted in trademark UK00002292000 was released in 1993/94 (see pictures below)

3) Speculation that the Lord Lyon might take action against Dundee United relating to their badge dates from 2015, at least 11 21years later

4) The circular badge depicted in trademark UK00002292000 appears on the official club website right now. It hasn't changed.

Screenshot 2019-02-25 at 20.51.57.png

Edited by lichtgilphead

1) I enforced trademark legislation in Dundee between 1985 and 1996. United came to my department for advice. No mention was made of the Lord Lyon at that time.

2) I've corrected the date in my post above. The reports of the Lord Lyon's interest date from 2015 or 2016, That's at least 21 years after the badge change, not 11

3) The 2015 & 2016 reports actually show the badge in question. It's the same badge United are using right now. It hasn't been changed. Pictures taken from The Drum (18/04/2016) and The Daily Record (16/04/16 updated 18/04/16)

Screenshot 2019-02-25 at 22.08.17.png

Screenshot 2019-02-25 at 22.12.25.png

I’m not an IP lawyer but I was a lawyer and dragged into trying to help Airdrie out. That Article is the usual tabloid nonsense. Those badges are all safe. Rangers and DUFC not Heraldic and Hibs shield is registered.

Apologies if I’ve the DUFC history wrong, I thought their badge in the shield was deemed Heraldic hence taking a similar approach to Rangers. Once you use a circular badge the Lord Lyon’s pf is happy.

I had found a couple of message board threads suggesting that was right but you obviously were closer to the DUFC scenario.

Could they not just have applied for additional use classes?

4 minutes ago, lichtgilphead said:

The Lord Lyon was involved with DUFC in 1977 - Dave Narey had got his first cap, and the club flew a Lion Rampant to celebrate. They got a warning as (obviously) the Queen wasn't in residence in Tannadice. That's the only connection I'm aware of. 

They should have told him they were Jacobites and Jim McLean was the descendant of Bonnie Prince Charlie! 

In a proper Scottish Republic we wouldn't have a Lord Lyon. It would just be some boring civil servant in the ministry of paperclips. I could do that :)

• 4 months later...

Except it wasn’t an Airdrie Fan who started the thread!

I personally prefer your old badge. Too many circles in Scottish Football. Aberdeen, Celtic, Rangers, Stenny, Brechin etc.

Your old badge was more unique.

That said.... the new one must have a decent winning percentage!
More unique?

More unique?

My problem with your new badge is that you’ve been forced to have a circle. Just like Celtic, Rangers, Aberdeen, Dundee United, Brechin, Stenny Patrick Thistle and countless others. It all becomes a bit samey. Wee button hole badges with little club name on the outside and a graphic inside.

I really like badges that are different. Falkirk’s, the old Patrick Thistle one, Dunfermline’s are more recognisable.... but that’s probably me just getting old!

• 2 weeks later...