Club Badges

Elijah Wade’s redesigns are always interesting.

https://elijahwadeartefacts.com/2018/05/13/rebrand-east-fife-fc/

It's got a sort of Eastern Block look to it, it's better than our current one, I'll give it that!!!

or from a badge that most people are reasonably content with...

Bit of an assumption there Angus, don't think "most" people have actually had the question put to them!!!

And being "reasonably content" would hardly be a glowing affirmation either!!!

#BBTT

2 minutes ago, King Kebab said:

Bit of an assumption there Angus, don't think "most" people have actually had the question put to them!!!

And being "reasonably content" would hardly be a glowing affirmation either!!!

#BBTT

I think it's a bit of an obsession on your part to be honest. A non-issue and something that is not going to happen. There is absolutely zero chance of that badge make a re-appearance.

Thankfully it never besmirched a black and gold top...

I think it's a bit of an obsession on your part to be honest. A non-issue and something that is not going to happen. There is absolutely zero chance of that badge make a re-appearance.
Thankfully it never besmirched a black and gold top...

Well skirted sir!!!

5 minutes ago, King Kebab said:

Well skirted sir!!!

Can you honestly imagine how it would look on the black and gold stripes? The current badge isn't as good as the original club crest I'll grant you that, but it's way better than some pretentious heraldic nonsense...

Can you honestly imagine how it would look on the black and gold stripes? The current badge isn't as good as the original club crest I'll grant you that, but it's way better than some pretentious heraldic nonsense...

It would look lovely, don't go with the only picture I have of it, it is a bit orangey looking but next time you're hanging about the foyer look in the display cabinet and you'll see a fantastic example of it in all its black and gold embroidered lovelyness!!!

And it is hardly pretentious nonsense, the Thane is the badge of Fife in general, it was the Badge for the Fife Police, Fife Fire Brigade and the Fife Yeomanry amongst other institutions within the Kingdom, I also remember a giant version of it on the wall at my High School, so quite rightly it can be used by the most successful Football Club in the Kingdom!!!

I get that you don't like it, I don't like the current badge, it says nothing about my Club or the people or the area, what is the point of the majority of it being a saltire, why on earth does it say Scotland on it, what purpose does that serve, why does my Club badge have to represent the country more than the National Team's badge does???

Fair enough maybe if you put it to the vote The Thane might not win but if there was a third option you can bet the current one wouldn't either!!!

14 minutes ago, King Kebab said:

And it is hardly pretentious nonsense, the Thane is the badge of Fife in general, it was the Badge for the Fife Police, Fife Fire Brigade and the Fife Yeomanry amongst other institutions within the Kingdom, I also remember a giant version of it on the wall at my High School.

Exactly. All organisations belonging to the establishment, including a former grammar school so keen to retain its status that it forced its male pupils to play rugby for their first six months.

The Thane of Fife belongs nowhere near a football club with its roots in coal mining, whose earliest players (including my grandfather) were renowned for turning out on a Saturday afternoon with their faces still black after their morning shift down the pit.

Not on my watch...

Exactly. All organisations belonging to the establishment, including a former grammar school so keen to retain its status that it forced its male pupils to play rugby for their first six months. The Thane of Fife belongs nowhere near a football club with its roots in coal mining, whose earliest players (including my grandfather) were renowned for turning out on a Saturday afternoon with their faces still black after their morning shift down the pit. Not on my watch...    

Sorry Che Guevara, I didn't mean to rattle your proletarian cage in your workers commune there!!! 

Just as well such decisions that require open minded discussion and debate aren't made by you then and that we are lucky enough to have a Supporter's Representative on the Board of our Club, who if enough fans wanted to have the Club crest changed or even have the Thane restored, would bring the case forward and argue on their behalf!!!

Might get a petition started up???[emoji848]

Eta are you saying Kirkland HS was a grammar school as well then, because they had the same crest up!!!

8 hours ago, King Kebab said:

Sorry Che Guevara, I didn't mean to rattle your proletarian cage in your workers commune there!!! 

Just as well such decisions that require open minded discussion and debate aren't made by you then and that we are lucky enough to have a Supporter's Representative on the Board of our Club, who if enough fans wanted to have the Club crest changed or even have the Thane restored, would bring the case forward and argue on their behalf!!!

Might get a petition started up???emoji848.png

Eta are you saying Kirkland HS was a grammar school as well then, because they had the same crest up!!!

It has absolutely nothing to do with the origins of East Fife Football Club..

It has absolutely nothing to do with the origins of East Fife Football Club..

That is a fair comment from your point of view, but it also an accusation that can be more than levelled at the current one, which as has been previously said, says absolutely nothing about our Club!!!

I like our badge. Nothing wrong with it at all.

It's a shite effort Scott!!!

Even that fan version that's at the top of the page using basically the same features is better!!!

2 hours ago, King Kebab said:

That is a fair comment from your point of view, but it also an accusation that can be more than levelled at the current one, which as has been previously said, says absolutely nothing about our Club!!!

It's a shite effort Scott!!!

Even that fan version that's at the top of the page using basically the same features is better!!!

On Saturday hand everyone in the home support a piece of paper asking them to reply to KK with their thoughts or ideas on the club badge then on the following Saturday publish the results from the five who replied.

On Saturday hand everyone in the home support a piece of paper asking them to reply to KK with their thoughts or ideas on the club badge then on the following Saturday publish the results from the five who replied.

You may mock, but once my Euromillions come in on Friday and I buy the Club, that badge will be gone by the time we play the Rovers again!!!

3 hours ago, Sarge Bullman said:

There were quite a few clubs who changed their crest in the late 80's/ early 90's. Rangers and Hibs spring to mind immediately and we also changed our badge around the same time. Was all that due to this heraldic nonsense?

A lot of clubs took out trademarks to protect their club badges from exploitation. Sometimes, that involved redesigning the badge as the previous badge wasn't distinctive enough to be registered or they hadn't registered the mark for all relevant trademark classes.

Dundee United are a good example. The old badge was only registered for class 25 (Articles of clothing and footwear; all for sport or for leisure wear; all included in Class 25) 

The new badge is registered for Class 25, plus Classes 28 (Games, toys, party novelty hats, shinguards, gloves (games), balloons, sporting articles (other than clothing), and play balls; footballs; teddy bears and toy lions.) and Class 41(Sports entertainment; football entertainment; football training; football coaching; sports education; organisation of sporting events and competitions; promoting of sports personalities; education services relating to sports; education services relating to football; entertainment services provided during intervals of sporting events; entertainment provided during intervals of sporting events; production of sporting events for film, television and radio; providing facilities for sporting events and recreation; providing sports training facilities; provision of sporting club facilities; recreational information services; recreational information services provided on computer networks and by telephone.)

Dundee United trademarks

A lot of clubs took out trademarks to protect their club badges from exploitation. Sometimes, that involved redesigning the badge as the previous badge wasn't distinctive enough to be registered or they hadn't registered the mark for all relevant trademark classes.
Dundee United are a good example. The old badge was only registered for class 25 (Articles of clothing and footwear; all for sport or for leisure wear; all included in Class 25) 
The new badge is registered for Class 25, plus Classes 28 (Games, toys, party novelty hats, shinguards, gloves (games), balloons, sporting articles (other than clothing), and play balls; footballs; teddy bears and toy lions.) and Class 41(Sports entertainment; football entertainment; football training; football coaching; sports education; organisation of sporting events and competitions; promoting of sports personalities; education services relating to sports; education services relating to football; entertainment services provided during intervals of sporting events; entertainment provided during intervals of sporting events; production of sporting events for film, television and radio; providing facilities for sporting events and recreation; providing sports training facilities; provision of sporting club facilities; recreational information services; recreational information services provided on computer networks and by telephone.)
Dundee United trademarks

Dundee United were forced to change by the Lord Lyon’s procurator fiscal.