Club Badges

This is the Rovers badge to me and what reminds me of growing up as a Rovers fan. Hate the current one especially without the lettering. 
image.png.5cd00cabc95f5a944ca3a9ba0e5bbb3f.png

The Raith Rovers badge is one of those registered with the Lord Lyon’s office. Letters must have been added at some stage and are technically “illegal”.

It’s all a joke. You could add them above or below the Shield part of the badge.

Maybe if clubs had been up on the law in the first place we wouldn’t have this debate. Lord Lyon only enforcing the law and doing his job.

I’d challenge you to read “the law” and make sense of it. It’s in old Scots and basically just says the Lord Lyon can grant arms to worthy people. Everything else is down to historic practices.

13 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

He's an arsehole.

No defending him.

He didn't make the rules, he's just there doing his job. You often give that defence in the case of shop workers who receive abuse from customers, is the difference here simply that he's doing a job you don't see as useful?

15 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

He didn't make the rules, he's just there doing his job. You often give that defence in the case of shop workers who receive abuse from customers, is the difference here simply that he's doing a job you don't see as useful?

He has the 'power' to allow clubs to continue to use their badges, the same badges they've used for over 100 years, and the same badges absolutely no one has ever had any issue with.

He's choosing to be a dick.

Totally different from shop floor staff.

He has the 'power' to allow clubs to continue to use their badges, the same badges they've used for over 100 years, and the same badges absolutely no one has ever had any issue with.

Lord Lyon would be doing your lot a favour if he made you change your shitty badge.

2 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Is he not currently "allowing" clubs to use their badge when in actual fact they are in breach of the law? I'm sure Dumbarton's badge falls foul of these laws yet we've never been contacted.  It's only when someone raises a complaint to him that he acts, as far as I can see.

East Fife's first club crest appeared in 1949, a simple shield featuring the letters EFFC above the saltire, with a thistle below. This was worn for around 21 years on the front of the jersey, including the League Cup final victories in 1949 and 1953. In 1972  out of the blue, it was controversially replaced by the Thane of Fife heraldic crest. This, thankfully in my opinion, never featured on an EFFC shirt, and disappeared in the mid-eighties. 
The current crest, as mentioned above, would almost certainly also be outlawed if challenged using the backward legislation that embarrassingly still exists in 21st century Scotland.
A shite state of affairs...
To be perfectly honest I'd rather have the EFFC monogram we had in the 80s than the current piece of crap badge.

Is he not currently "allowing" clubs to use their badge when in actual fact they are in breach of the law? I'm sure Dumbarton's badge falls foul of these laws yet we've never been contacted.  It's only when someone raises a complaint to him that he acts, as far as I can see.

It’s a very good point. The Lord Lyon has his own procurator fiscal. When I was throwing my toys out the pram about our badge, I never got an answer about why he doesn’t pick up a newspaper and take action against over half the clubs in Scotland! The answer is probably because the Office would quickly disappear if it actually did that

When I asked why taking action against Airdrie was deemed in the Public Interest, he said by not registering an Heraldic Device and paying the fees, Airdrie were essentially evading taxation....

It’s a bizarre world. Civil Servants employed to enforce “the world’s purest Heraldic system”!

What a boring grassing c**t you are. 

Haha. I’ll admit to two thirds of that critique!

I was raising the point to challenge how on earth action can only be taken when a complaint is made (and the complainer provides proof of ID) if the justification for the club being forced to stop using its badge.

I’d really like to be able to stop any club being forced to change its badge because I really am that much of a boring C Bomb!

Not that I get to many games these days but East Fife‘s club crest is a major irritant to me- the other being our stadium.

Image is important. For attracting new fans, and investment. It’s something to have pride in. Not sure what ours says other than “we cannae be arsed designing anything“. I‘d have the old crest back in a second, or some legally acceptable version of it. Can something not be done ffs?!

19 hours ago, fifepup said:

Not that I get to many games these days but East Fife‘s club crest is a major irritant to me- the other being our stadium.

Image is important. For attracting new fans, and investment. It’s something to have pride in. Not sure what ours says other than “we cannae be arsed designing anything“. I‘d have the old crest back in a second, or some legally acceptable version of it. Can something not be done ffs?!

They should definitely build a bigger, better stadium to accommodate people who don't go.