Club Badges

6 hours ago, 50/50 Winner said:
On 08/02/2019 at 23:33, tamthebam said:
Raith Rovers badge from an Edinburgh City v Raith Rovers programme.  Author: some cnut  (ME)

"The Current Raith Rovers badge dates from at least 1922, a picture of legendary Raith player Alex James from that date shows the badge on his shirt. Other versions of the badge have been used over the years such as Version 2 below which was used in the 1970s and features in the Stark’s Park boardroom and Version 3, the one which I am most familiar with, which was used between 1985 and 1998. In 1998 the original Raith badge was re-introduced onto Rovers’ shirts to celebrate the 125th anniversary of the club. It would appear that the object being held by the lion is a football (although personally I think it looks a bit like a jam doughnut!)

A number of Scottish football teams have featured the lion motif in the club crests- Rangers, Raith Rovers, Dundee United and Hawick Royal Albert for example. It is not a huge leap of imagination to guess that the lion emblem has been taken from the famous Lion Rampant on the Royal Standard of Scotland. Aston Villa’s lion badge for example was introduced in 1880 by Perthshire born club director William McGregor and was taken from the Scottish Royal Standard.

Kings of Scotland started to use the Lion as a heraldic symbol in the 12th Century and it is associated with King William (reigned 1165-1214) who used a red lion on a yellow background on his standard. The lion had a reputation for bravery and several mediaeval monarchs were given the nickname of “lion”, for example Richard the Lionheart, who ruled England at the same time was William was King of Scots. King William’s son Alexander II continued to use the emblem, a record dating from 1222 showing it on the Royal Seal. Interestingly enough an earlier recorded Scottish royal standard featured a dragon which was used at the Battle of the Standard in 1138 by David I (1124–1153)

Lions are not, of course, native to Scotland but they have been known since antiquity and the Biblical tale of Daniel in the Lion’s den was no doubt familiar to church scholars. Scots living in the North of the country would also be familiar with the lion of the glens, the Scottish wildcat. A lion is recorded as having been added to a collection of animals built up by King James IV in 1512 and he built a den at Holyrood House in Edinburgh to house this collection"

I also did articles on Lowland League clubs badges and most of D2. Except Stenny because I couldn't be arsed by the time it came round to play them. 

The Rovers were 115 years old in 1998, not 125.

but if you put in a deliberate mistake and someone copies your article without asking or checking then you'll know its yours! A mate did that with match reports he put online which were lovingly ripped off by a local newspaper.. 

10 hours ago, Silverton End said:

Dumbarton_FC_logo.svg_.thumb.png.c09b90946671d3ea32d0f4880d93d24f.pngimages.jpg.a89b3ddfb47323e57f67d402c313b174.jpg

5c5f739a6b2a0_seanconnery.jpg.e09a27a3856ea85b1882304e97e68beb.jpg

"The elephant with a tower on its back is a device which appeared on an ancient burgh seal of which a 1357 impression is on record.. It is said to have been chosen originally because in shape it was thought to resemble Dumbarton Rock; the tower on its back is for Dumbarton Castle."

Rather exotically Inverness also had an elephant (and a camel) on its Burgh arms. They were to represent the worldwide trade Inverness was involved in (don't ask).

inverness.jpg.cf1e602cb9c54a814fb14b83cf1409ec.jpg

On 08/02/2019 at 23:53, lichtgilphead said:

Dumbarton - What do people think of when Dumbarton is mentioned? That's right - elephants... f*cking big  elephants with castles on their backs!

There's an angle that, when seen from across the River Clyde, Dumbarton Rock looks like an elephant's head - with a castle on its back.

Simples!

On 09/02/2019 at 00:12, lichtgilphead said:

I used to be the Weights & Measures inspector in Montrose. By that time, the official verification mark was UK 111. I would much rather have used this beauty

Screenshot 2019-02-09 at 00.07.37.png

Did you weeeeeeiiiiggghhh them?

On 09/02/2019 at 18:26, Ebanda's Handyman Services said:

I'm not a fan of our badge at all. 

I'd even go as far as saying that I think it's shite. 

Agreed. The new one was an upgrade and we should have kept it. Like most of the stuff going at at our club in 1998 this was a mistake.

Rather ironic that an Airdrie fan started this thread, considering it was also an Airdrie fan that went full on tears and snotters after they were made to change their badge and grassed us in to the Lord Lyon, meaning we also had to change our badge to something 'non-heraldic'. 

Our new badge is much better though so if the guy that reported us is reading this, cheers m9.

20190212_095003.jpg

44 minutes ago, King Kebab said:

IMG_5092.jpg
Guid badge!!!
IMG_0559.jpg
Shite badge!!!

Our current badge kind of reminds me of the Ayr one, perhaps we'll get lucky and someone will report us!!!

7 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

You could report them.

If East Fife were to be reported, the Lord Lyon would be 'required' to investigate and I am sure you would be hit with the same absolute pish as we were. One thing to bear in mind though is the cost to the club. Ayr United had a shop full of merchandise with the old crest on it and were forced to sell it off for pennies because, once we hit a certain date, we were no longer legally allowed to sell it.

3 hours ago, AyrTroopMajor said:

If East Fife were to be reported, the Lord Lyon would be 'required' to investigate and I am sure you would be hit with the same absolute pish as we were. One thing to bear in mind though is the cost to the club. Ayr United had a shop full of merchandise with the old crest on it and were forced to sell it off for pennies because, once we hit a certain date, we were no longer legally allowed to sell it.

Aw diddums! wotapity

East Fife's first club crest appeared in 1949, a simple shield featuring the letters EFFC above the saltire, with a thistle below. This was worn for around 21 years on the front of the jersey, including the League Cup final victories in 1949 and 1953. In 1972  out of the blue, it was controversially replaced by the Thane of Fife heraldic crest. This, thankfully in my opinion, never featured on an EFFC shirt, and disappeared in the mid-eighties. 

The current crest, as mentioned above, would almost certainly also be outlawed if challenged using the backward legislation that embarrassingly still exists in 21st century Scotland.

A shite state of affairs...