Aye I'm not a fan of the cheating, but it's been around in some way or other since people started to compete professionally. It's the shadow side of competition and I don't think for a moment that sport would be any good without it. It gives us villains and a sense of injustice against which we rail. It's an essential part of the psychodrama.
It's also a cultural thing. In South America, Italy and Spain they don't have the Corinthian idea of sport (which is a British upper class invention), and they don't see attempting to con the ref as "cheating". They see it as gaining an advantage over an opponent. 
From a neutral, dramatic perspective, I fuckin love Morelos. He's a proper panto villain and is easy to detest. I think we'll miss him when he eventually leaves.

Corinthian spirit? Yeah, but I'm not having sportsmanship being credited to the upper classes alone. f**k that.

It's absolute in snooker, and that's one of the most working class games out there.

Diving, for me, has a moral element that makes it worse than stealing a few yards, or claiming for a throw in that might not be yours. It's the part of the game I simply can't stand (and I'm happy to say that when it applies to ayr players as well).

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

So you think that’s acceptable, particularly after his dive last week which went unpunished by the Compliance officer.

I'm sure that there was a blatant dive in the recent celtic v Hibs match which hardly got a mention on here.....

But Sevco...

9 minutes ago, bennett said:

I'm sure that there was a blatant dive in the recent celtic v Hibs match which hardly got a mention on here.....

But Sevco...

So do you think that is acceptable? Asking a simple question. 

5 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

So do you think that is acceptable? Asking a simple question. 

If celtic players want to dive then of course it's acceptable, only a bigot would say otherwise.

8 hours ago, bennett said:

If celtic players want to dive then of course it's acceptable, only a bigot would say otherwise.

I’ve just looked up the dictionary. Against the meaning of “Whataboutery” it simply says “Bennett”.

49 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

I’ve just looked up the dictionary. Against the meaning of “Whataboutery” it simply says “Bennett”.

Whataboutery in Scottish football..... Look at Sevco, ignore what others do and just look at Sevco.

2 minutes ago, bennett said:

No, it's completely relevant.

No it's not. It's trying to get out of a speeding ticket by referring to the number of people doing 80 on the M8 every day. 

You're making the argument to stop applying the rules because of previous errors or misapplication. It's utter nonsense. 

20 minutes ago, Estragon said:

No it's not. It's trying to get out of a speeding ticket by referring to the number of people doing 80 on the M8 every day. 

You're making the argument to stop applying the rules because of previous errors or misapplication. It's utter nonsense. 

Thats a rather silly analogy Esty. Singling out incidents regarding one team and blowing them out of proportion while ignoring other teams incidents isn't going to be debated sensibly.....

11 hours ago, bennett said:

But Sevco...

I've not seen that game but am aware of a blatant dive by Burke because of tbe furore on here.

The standard of whataboutery isn't what it used to be.

Refs are human and imperfect. They will always make mistakes, just like managers and players. Managers whinge about cheating against their team but are silent and evasive about cheating that benefits their team. Make managers responsible for the worst examples of cheating by their own players. After say, 3 yellow cards for players diving, give the manager a 2 or 3 match touchline ban and maybe a fine. He would soon stop his own players diving.

None of this is relevant to Hearts, of course. Our players never cheat.

10 minutes ago, bennett said:

Thats a rather silly analogy Esty. Singling out incidents regarding one team and blowing them out of proportion while ignoring other teams incidents isn't going to be debated sensibly.....

The problem with your “other teams incidents “ is that you’re almost certainly referring to one other team .

Whats your opinion on the non sending off incident in the St Mirren v Dundee Utd match ?

The problem you have is that your reputation as a WUM, troll, exponent of whataboutery etc precedes you so a sensible debate is a non starter in the vast majority of posters eyes . I dare say there are examples you’ve had in the past of sensible debate ,the law of average dictates so , it’s just most people view you as a parody of a rangers fan .

20 minutes ago, bennett said:

It's a completely valid analogy.

The consistency your argument looks to put in place is one of allowance, not punishment, and as such it is completely invalid in the context of this debate.

Archived