• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aye I'm not a fan of the cheating, but it's been around in some way or other since people started to compete professionally. It's the shadow side of competition and I don't think for a moment that sport would be any good without it. It gives us villains and a sense of injustice against which we rail. It's an essential part of the psychodrama.

It's also a cultural thing. In South America, Italy and Spain they don't have the Corinthian idea of sport (which is a British upper class invention), and they don't see attempting to con the ref as "cheating". They see it as gaining an advantage over an opponent. 

From a neutral, dramatic perspective, I fuckin love Morelos. He's a proper panto villain and is easy to detest. I think we'll miss him when he eventually leaves.

4 minutes ago, velo army said:

From a neutral, dramatic perspective, I fuckin love Morelos. He's a proper panto villain and is easy to detest. I think we'll miss him when he eventually leaves.

Decent post from you - surprisingly ;)

And yes, Alfie is a panto villain.  What allows him to sort-of get away with it is that he's also an immense talent.  His (and our) second goal on Wednesday was from the top drawer.

We'll be richer but Scottish football will be poorer when he leaves.

Morelos is a fine striker and a pretty good WUM. He's basically the *** version of Neil Lennon, partly because he loves getting it up opposition fans, and partly because you'd love to see someone go through the rodent at knee height. 

McGregor is far worse imo. Keepers have always had a degree of protection from refs. McGregor hides behind that to leave the boot (or elbow) in as often as he can. He's a complete coward. 

As for cheating in general, it's never going away until it ceases to provide any sort of advantage. Back in the Football Italia on C4 days I'm sure they experimented with straight reds for diving for a season. It lasted about 2 months or so and was a complete failure. 

Folk (usually wankers) hold up Rugby as some sort of sportsmanlike example of non-cheating "honest" sport. Complete pish of course. If there was any way to cheat in rugby to gain an identifiable advantage, they'd all be at it. 

7 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

A thread about cheats?  That dive at the end of the clip...

Surely the Harper McLeod lawyer/compliance official can't have dismissed those incidents out of hand.....

8 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

A thread about cheats?  That dive at the end of the clip...

28 minutes ago, bennett said:

Surely the Harper McLeod lawyer/compliance official can't have dismissed those incidents out of hand.....

A player can only be punished retrospectively for diving if it leads to a penalty, a red card or a direct free-kick from which a goal was scored.

I'll put you down for a last minute City penalty winner tomorrow then... [emoji6]
5c5e0ebbda661_damnedunited2.jpg.d3a3ac4c5f12b50c0ac68837a01088a8.jpg
But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest fucking dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.
You're only top because you're a cheating, dirty bunch of b*****ds anyway. [emoji6]

17 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

A player can only be punished retrospectively for diving if it leads to a penalty, a red card or a direct free-kick from which a goal was scored.

Incidents not incident....

10 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

Decent post from you - surprisingly ;)

And yes, Alfie is a panto villain.  What allows him to sort-of get away with it is that he's also an immense talent.  His (and our) second goal on Wednesday was from the top drawer.

We'll be richer but Scottish football will be poorer when he leaves.

He is a very decent striker but not very bright at the rate hes going, he'll miss every game after the split.
At least the panto villain knows what hes doing. El bufalo in a china shop.

If a player claims for an offside/throw-in/corner, when he knows it shouldn’t be, is that cheating? I think so.

I think players/managers need to start taking more responsibility and self-regulating.

Don’t get me started on this ‘professional foul’ rubbish. That’s cheating as a get-out for tactical and/or positional ineptitude, and lack of concentration.

Tbh you can't sanitize everything in the game to make it perfect, or it would become a total bore fest, devoid of emotion, the stealing of 8 yards at every throw in, standing over the ball at free kicks to stop them being taken, or kicking the ball away, 'professional fouls' (they at least get punished fairly regularly when committed).

What we need more than anything to stop fans and managers from being so frustrated about the game, is consistency with refereeing decisions , that would go a long way towards improving the game. Not only do we not see different officials making the same calls when similar offences have been committed, we don't even see a ref making a consistent decision in the one game when the same offence has occurred.

Archived