Pea Oliver

Just a thread for those who want to leave their condolences to a man who dedicated his life to Berwick Rangers and   60 years of lower League football. Legend is often bandied around but if ever a man deserves the title he does. My thoughts are with his family. Rest Easy Pea 

Pea was amazing and it's incredibly sad news that he's passed away. As a person and as a servant of the club he was unbelievable. I've seen a few suggest only he and Dennis are true legends of the club and I'd totally agree - these are the guys who keep things running, do all the unseen stuff and never expect a penny nor even thanks for it, and certainly carry no other agenda than to help the club.

The sheer quantity of tributes coming in from guys who've played at Shielfield shows how respected and well-loved he was, and it's no surprise he's built the kind of reputation he has in Scottish football. These two are truly selfless guys who are ultimately what football is about at this level, and I hope if there's anything good to come from this sad passing, it's that people show just how much they value guys like Dennis for their hard work and dedication. 

The first time I ever met Pea was at a reserve game and almost immediately following the first dismissal of John Coughlin (during our disastrous record-breaking L1 failure and consequent relegation). I'd heard plenty about him but never actually met him. Myself and a couple of others sat behind him in the main stand, and a fellow fan asked: "Pea, I heard you're in for the job?". Without hesitation he fired back: "Well I'd be the only c**t stupid enough to take it".  He might have enjoyed a moaner but he was always sharp. Genuinely hilarious guy. 

I met Pea a few times, and had a few conversations on the phone.  Clearly a thoroughly nice guy and quite a character. As BTU says, the tributes coming in from ex players and others who've known him decades ago, speaks volumes. 

I think anybody who gives more than a few years to this club whether as a fan, a Manager or a player deserves respect even when there are disagreements. To give 50+ years is just legendary. 

From Redcar, Pea, Thank you. 

Well done Doug for getting this up and running.

Heartbroken at yesterday’s news, he really was Mr Berwick Rangers along with Dennis. 

Lots of memories but my favourite story was this.

During his time as physio, he was working with one of the youth teams in the McDowell era. A substitute asked him how much he got paid for doing that job. He replied, if I go onto the pitch and treat a player and he carries on I get £10, if he has to come off I get nothing. The substitute got on 10 mins later and went down with no one near him. Pea runs on and says what the hell happened you, the young lad replied that’s £5 for you and £5 for me.

The club meant the world to him and when he came around to see me in the summer to share his concerns and prompt action, it was time to take notice.

It was an absolute pleasure Pea, I will miss you my friend. Hope the lads do you proud tomorrow. RIP

Guest The Phoenix

A lovely, unassuming, modest man. 

Home and away, I’d look him out for a blether pre-match. His warmth of personality and his passion for Berwick Rangers shone brighter than any floodlight. 

He’s left a gap at Shielfield  that will never filled and tomorrow will undoubtedly be a sombre occasion, up until kick off when hopefully both teams will do him proud.  

Thoughts with his family. 

Sad to hear this news.

When on holiday in the borders in the late 90s, popped into Shielfield with my young son to let him see a ground I had visited when following the Rovers in the 70s. Met Ian and he downed tools to show him round the dressing rooms and the offices and then gave him a club badge and a couple of programmes - wouldn’t take anything for them because he said the Rovers had helped Berwick out in the 70s at some point.

Really genuine guy who came across as very proud of his club. Guys like this have been the lifeblood of lower League clubs. Thoughts are with his family at this sad time.

A genuinely nice sincere guy very unassuming  & good to speak with until I read some of the comments I hadn't realised quite fully  how much he had  done for the club, and for how long, a mark of the man  with his modesty allied to his complete dedication to the club he loved.

My sincere condolences  to the family and all at associated with the club

I posted it earlier in the week in the match thread, but I didn’t know Pea but what I do know is that he would of loved to have read the comments on here, Facebook and Twitter about himself.

We all try to make a difference all through our lives, I’m sure he’d be delighted to hear the difference that he made to so many peoples lives.

[emoji1319]

Archived