Forfar v Airdrie Bankies

47 minutes ago, Jupiter Jazz said:

Up to third and level on points with Raith -- what a job Weirs doing eh?

Agree, i thought he was only a few more bad results from the bullet earlier on but he has turned it around

Playing a settled side has helped and some great signings looks like we can maintain this to the play-offs

Eckersley was MOTM today

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Agree, i thought he was only a few more bad results from the bullet earlier on but he has turned it around
Playing a settled side has helped and some great signings looks like we can maintain this to the play-offs
Eckersley was MOTM today
Eckersleys quality all day.

Guest bernardblack
Eckersley was MOTM today

What I really like about Eckersley is that he doesn’t bomb forward every time. He picks when to go and usually picks correctly and gets in behind

Just now, Jupiter Jazz said:

Eckersley is way below his level, can't believe we managed to sign him.

Agreed the guy has been utter quality for us so far. Irvine looked a bit off it but came into a game and what a strike. We just look so solid at the moment.

First I want to say that Forfar were clearly the better team and I would be clutching at straws to think that the chance Carrick missed at 2-0 would have made much difference. The first goal was again the decisive move and I will claim it was "wind assisted" but still a great strike. I think it might have been the only worthwhile bit of football from both sides in that half. Airdrie had one miserable attack in that first half ,which was largely down to that wind, and also our inability to have any link up play. It looked as if we might use the wind in the second half but our negative shape meant we spent most of the time  still trying(!) to stop Forfar. One good free kick save from McCallum was about all we showed. Forfar were far more impressive as a team and I can't think of one of our side who would have improved Forfar.  The second goal was well taken by Eckersley and you have gained a quality full back. I could quibble at what our right sided defenders were doing but it was a good counter attack.  I was really impressed by Forfar once they got ahead, and I would be worried if I was a Raith fan or anyone else visiting Station park. As for us we are bang average and well worth a 6th place. Given that Stenny won again I fear it is the bottom play offs we will need to get well away from as the top four look well established now. John Baird was class and I wish we had him. The bridie was very tasty before the game.  I hope Brechin are duff to see us win next week

I used to be regular home and away but I don't go to as many games as I used to and having decided to go to Forfar today I can see why. We were truly dire and I can't think of a single player who would merit pass marks. After all the optimism of the change in ownership / new manager we don't seem any better than we were before this happened. Doubt if we'll be sucked into the relegation play-offs but I reckon we'll be closer to them than to the promotion play-offs. Vittoria should be recalled immediately (he should never have been sent to Stranraer in the first place). 

First I want to say that Forfar were clearly the better team and I would be clutching at straws to think that the chance Carrick missed at 2-0 would have made much difference. The first goal was again the decisive move and I will claim it was "wind assisted" but still a great strike. I think it might have been the only worthwhile bit of football from both sides in that half. Airdrie had one miserable attack in that first half ,which was largely down to that wind, and also our inability to have any link up play. It looked as if we might use the wind in the second half but our negative shape meant we spent most of the time  still trying(!) to stop Forfar. One good free kick save from McCallum was about all we showed. Forfar were far more impressive as a team and I can't think of one of our side who would have improved Forfar.  The second goal was well taken by Eckersley and you have gained a quality full back. I could quibble at what our right sided defenders were doing but it was a good counter attack.  I was really impressed by Forfar once they got ahead, and I would be worried if I was a Raith fan or anyone else visiting Station park. As for us we are bang average and well worth a 6th place. Given that Stenny won again I fear it is the bottom play offs we will need to get well away from as the top four look well established now. John Baird was class and I wish we had him. The bridie was very tasty before the game.  I hope Brechin are duff to see us win next week
We have improved enormously since Xmas and particularly defensively with Eckersleys arrival. Sure Airdrie won't be the only side to trip up at Station Park. Now we will probably get stuffed at Links Park having said that...
Thanks for your honest summary though as I didn't attend today.

Just now, Loondave1 said:

We have improved enormously since Xmas and particularly defensively with Eckersleys arrival. Sure Airdrie won't be the only side to trip up at Station Park. Now we will probably get stuffed at Links Park having said that...
Thanks for your honest summary though as I didn't attend today.

After telling me that Bridies were for "local" people,  the honesty was clearly inspired by eating a tasty bridie. You would have enjoyed the match. The League is peculiar in many ways and as you say Montrose could turn you over. I wonder if anyone has collected the details so far of the Angus League table? I checked your comment on Broomfield etc and  I think it would be the late 1980s but will do a wee bit more research. 

After telling me that Bridies were for "local" people,  the honesty was clearly inspired by eating a tasty bridie. You would have enjoyed the match. The League is peculiar in many ways and as you say Montrose could turn you over. I wonder if anyone has collected the details so far of the Angus League table? I checked your comment on Broomfield etc and  I think it would be the late 1980s but will do a wee bit more research. 

Re the peculiarities of the league, Brechin have been the worst side by a long way I've seen this season and they rightfully turned us over 4-0 at The Glebe.

12 hours ago, Loonytoons said:

Re the peculiarities of the league, Brechin have been the worst side by a long way I've seen this season and they rightfully turned us over 4-0 at The Glebe.

We've taken more points per game from the current top 3 than the current bottom 3.

That was not a good game. I guess we all knew it wouldn't be any good with 70mph winds. Don't really think either team used the wind advantage, especially our 'keeper who continually punted high ball after high ball each failing to get beyond the half way line.  While I'm on about the 'keeper, he gets quite a bit of praise from our fans but I think his positioning was very suspect at the first Forfar goal  - not to take away from the quality of the strike.

Thought Forfar were definitely the better of the teams and they could have had at least one more. Think we'd about 4 good chances the whole game, just shows how little creativity we've got middle-front. 

That's effectively ended our season.  I've said it plenty times, but Murray has his work cut out closed season. 

Archived