Forfar v Airdrie Bankies

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree you are not bitching and I think raking over old decisions is just a bit of P/B banter while we wait for the real game . As to the weather thanks for that info.  The first goal will be really vital but we have been known to lose thereafter! Always enjoy visits to Forfar but prefer the Pie to the Bridie-sorry!
Bridies are a "local" delicacy for "local people". You need to understand them first. Comparing them to pies is "apples and oranges". On a final note I only visited Broomfield once and that oddly was on a Forfar supporters bus to Boghead. Match postponed en route so after a quick vote whether to call it a day or take in a game we rolled into Broomfield to see Airdrie v ??? Long time ago and if I remember ex Loons Ian McPhee and Kenny McDonald may have been in the home line up plus big ex Pars centre who's name escapes me.

1 minute ago, Loondave1 said:
7 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:
I agree you are not bitching and I think raking over old decisions is just a bit of P/B banter while we wait for the real game . As to the weather thanks for that info.  The first goal will be really vital but we have been known to lose thereafter! Always enjoy visits to Forfar but prefer the Pie to the Bridie-sorry!

Bridies are a "local" delicacy for "local people". You need to understand them first. Comparing them to pies is "apples and oranges". On a final note I only visited Broomfield once and that oddly was on a Forfar supporters bus to Boghead. Match postponed en route so after a quick vote whether to call it a day or take in a game we rolled into Broomfield to see Airdrie v ??? Long time ago and if I remember ex Loons Ian McPhee and Kenny McDonald may have been in the home line up plus big ex Pars centre who's name escapes me.

Thanks for the culinary guide and I will maybe try it again. Both players you mention were first class . Ian was a top passer of the ball and an intelligent footballer. I recollect Kenny McDonald scoring a great free kick against Dumfermline amongst many others. Could the ex pars guy be John Watson?  Broomfield is much missed for atmosphere if not for the facilities which is why I like grounds like Forfar etc . If I get time I will try to find what game it was from the archivist!

Thanks for the culinary guide and I will maybe try it again. Both players you mention were first class . Ian was a top passer of the ball and an intelligent footballer. I recollect Kenny McDonald scoring a great free kick against Dumfermline amongst many others. Could the ex pars guy be John Watson?  Broomfield is much missed for atmosphere if not for the facilities which is why I like grounds like Forfar etc . If I get time I will try to find what game it was from the archivist!
That's the man John Watson ! If i remember right Airdries result had some relevance to us either regards promo or relegation just can't remember. Ian was a great club servant and manager plus Kenny was one of the best goal scorers we ever had. Enjoy your day !

On 07/02/2019 at 15:04, Moon said:

I don't see us making the playoffs now regardless of saturdays result.

I think best we can hope for is that Murray continues to get his ideas across, the team improves a bit, and we finish fifth. Obviously not making the play offs is a failure (not Murrays though) for us but we must guard against being absolutely rotten the rest of the season and ending up playing in front of 600 with the fans not giving a monkeys for next season.

Only just started taking an interest in Airdrie, but surely too soon to write off the club's play-off chances already?! 

Mmmm... I'm never buying into Airdrie Utd being a descendant of Clydebank. New club should have started at the bottom. The End.

It’s not a descendant. It’s the same club with a different name and set of supporters. Officially. Look at the club history and honours if you don’t believe it.

Usually most people on here are in a rush to tell us that.

Anyhoo, what should have happened is the league should have voted to admit Airdrie to the vacant spot in the 3rd rather than voting in Gretna and (allegedly) engineering the situation where Ballantyne was encouraged to buy Clydebank.

43 minutes ago, stuartcraig said:

It’s not a descendant. It’s the same club with a different name and set of supporters. Officially. Look at the club history and honours if you don’t believe it.

Usually most people on here are in a rush to tell us that.

Anyhoo, what should have happened is the league should have voted to admit Airdrie to the vacant spot in the 3rd rather than voting in Gretna and (allegedly) engineering the situation where Ballantyne was encouraged to buy Clydebank.

Is it really, though?! 

Yes, in this case the officials might have recorded it as such, but the reality is the club play in Airdrie, have the same supporters (as you stated), ground, strip as the former Airdrieonians club. It's pedantic, and basically Clydebank were robbed of their club with the collusion of officials. I couldn't care less, but to pretend they're the same is ridiculous. 

1 hour ago, G_&_T said:

Only just started taking an interest in Airdrie, but surely too soon to write off the club's play-off chances already?! 

Of course it is. An Airdrie win tomorrow sees them three points behind us with a better goal difference and over ten games still to play. Forecast means it could be a lottery tomorrow.

3 minutes ago, nofixedability said:

Of course it is. An Airdrie win tomorrow sees them three points behind us with a better goal difference and over ten games still to play. Forecast means it could be a lottery tomorrow.

Good, as I would enjoy attending the play-offs - good weather, high drama!

Is it really, though?! 
I couldn't care less, but to pretend they're the same is ridiculous. 

But in the context of interpreting the league’s rules and deciding which division the club should have played in, that’s exactly what Airdrie Utd was (and still is as Airdrieonians).

You can talk about club identity or spirit and how that incarnation of Clydebank ceased to be at that point but, just like Meadowbank Thistle and unlike Rangers, the actual club pre-dates the start of its current branding and that’s what counts within the rules of the game.

23 hours ago, Jack Reed said:

For the title of the thread alone I hope Airdrie stuff you ,this is the standard we have dropped to and it is hard to take,Forfar won't feel this is a poor  standard as they are on a life time high .

10 hours ago, Loondave1 said:
23 hours ago, Jack Reed said:
For the title of the thread alone I hope Airdrie stuff you ,this is the standard we have dropped to and it is hard to take,Forfar won't feel this is a poor  standard as they are on a life time high .

Nah. Our lifetime high was coasting in the 2nd flight for years after a couple of cup semis previously. We are slumming it now comparatively. Wouldn't have seen AirdrioniansUnitedEastStirlingshireClydebank in our way back then.

We've reached the semi finals of both the major cups taking Rangers to extra time in the League Cup and a replay in the Scottish Cup. If my memory serves me correctly we also got to the League Cup quarter final that same year. We missed out on promotion to the Premier League by a point some time after that. So, as Loondave1 says, this is not our peak, far from it.

I hope the game is on, there must be some doubt as Storm Erik seems to be wilder than the day of the Montrose game in December and it was touch and go right to the end.

Guest bernardblack
What a lot of rubbish this thread is.  What’s the point in bringing up the past.? As far as I know the 2 clubs have no bad blood. How about concentrating on the match?

Agreed. Joke of a thread. Can we all discuss the match now please?

Archived