Forfar v Airdrie Bankies

3 hours ago, Loon From Outta Toon said:

Easton & Irvine in the starting 11 for me on Saturday.
Coupe & MacKintosh drop out.

Bit of a dilemma for Jim now, albeit a good one!
Having a bigger & better quality strength in depth than he had previously.

Irvine for Muzza.....why? You must know something we don't?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Jack Reed said:

For the title of the thread alone I hope Airdrie stuff you ,this is the standard we have dropped to and it is hard to take,Forfar won't feel this is a poor  standard as they are on a life time high .

What's the problem with the title.......the Bankies will never be forgotten....or have you forgotten?

Given you guys are on a decent run just now, above us I’m the league and we’ve chucked away silly points against the bottom two teams recently, I’m going for an Airdrie win. Why? Because it’s typical Airdrie. Raise our game against the form teams and feck it up against those we should beat. 

Plus I won’t make this one so it’s pretty much guaranteed that a ‘goal of the season’ contender will also be scored By Airdrie. 

For the title of the thread alone I hope Airdrie stuff you ,this is the standard we have dropped to and it is hard to take,Forfar won't feel this is a poor  standard as they are on a life time high .
Nah. Our lifetime high was coasting in the 2nd flight for years after a couple of cup semis previously. We are slumming it now comparatively. Wouldn't have seen AirdrioniansUnitedEastStirlingshireClydebank in our way back then.

32 minutes ago, Loondave1 said:
12 hours ago, Jack Reed said:

Nah. Our lifetime high was coasting in the 2nd flight for years after a couple of cup semis previously. We are slumming it now comparatively. Wouldn't have seen AirdrioniansUnitedEastStirlingshireClydebank in our way back then.

Yes ,that's why punters are rushing through your gates to watch your great team ,we were a poor team compared to what the Airdrie were,think we still were second first year (added on time goal) and won the league the next ,

2 hours ago, Jack Reed said:

Yes ,that's why punters are rushing through your gates to watch your great team ,we were a poor team compared to what the Airdrie were,think we still were second first year (added on time goal) and won the league the next ,

How long have you been in third tier.

Serious question not a wum.

We were the first team Airdrie Utd played in the league. TBC V Forfar Athletic as the fixture list had it. I still grudge how Airdrie Utd were allowed to start in the 2nd bottom flight instead of the basement. Pretty well a new club that had already been denied entry finding an alternative route in to the league with a wee step up to boot.

Given you guys are on a decent run just now, above us I’m the league and we’ve chucked away silly points against the bottom two teams recently, I’m going for an Airdrie win. Why? Because it’s typical Airdrie. Raise our game against the form teams and feck it up against those we should beat. 
Plus I won’t make this one so it’s pretty much guaranteed that a ‘goal of the season’ contender will also be scored By Airdrie. 

Given the forecast for the wind, it might be your 'keeper that scores it.

1 hour ago, Loondave1 said:

I still grudge how Airdrie Utd were allowed to start in the 2nd bottom flight instead of the basement.

Actually, what happened was .....

Jim Ballantyne applied for the vacant 4th tier place created by Airdrieonian's demise.  Each of the clubs in the  league voted and decided to award the place to Gretna FC instead.

Ballantyne then bought Clydebank, who were playing in the 3rd tier at the time, and applied to rename the team, change the crest and move them to Airdrie.  The league approved this request.

Jim Ballantyne applied for the vacant 4th tier place created by Airdrieonian's demise.  Each of the clubs in the  league voted and decided to award the place to Gretna FC instead.
Ballantyne then bought Clydebank, who were playing in the 3rd tier at the time, and applied to rename the team, change the crest and move them to Airdrie.  The league approved this request.
Should have started in the 4th tier then and an extra existing side promoted from the 4th tier to the 3rd.

Prediction:

Away win for some reason, and us to have a new season thread by half past eight in the evening.: The People's Democratic United Free Thread of Airdrieonians (Continuing) (Marxist-Leninist) (season 2018-19).

Wilkie hasn't started the last two games, am I right that he picked up a knock against Celtic?  Could do with him and Glass playing together, methinks.

2 hours ago, Loondave1 said:
2 hours ago, stuartcraig said:

Should have started in the 4th tier then and an extra existing side promoted from the 4th tier to the 3rd.

You do have a point about where we should have started. I did some research some time ago on the initial rejection by the League. The Forfar Chairman voted for Airdrie United to be admitted to League , and against Gretna. Montrose also supported Airdrie United. Arbroath voted for Gretna. Hope the wind is not a la Gayfield tomorrow and I predict a close game. I do remember a 5-1 thumping by Forfar in that first season but have also seen some wins.  

You do have a point about where we should have started. I did some research some time ago on the initial rejection by the League. The Forfar Chairman voted for Airdrie United to be admitted to League , and against Gretna. Montrose also supported Airdrie United. Arbroath voted for Gretna. Hope the wind is not a la Gayfield tomorrow and I predict a close game. I do remember a 5-1 thumping by Forfar in that first season but have also seen some wins.  
I'm not bitching after all this time just pointing out the lack of logic in what happened i.e initial rejection resulting in instant promotion via Clydebank's still warm cadaver. Certainly windy tomorrow I would think but maybe not quite Gayfield proportions. We rode our luck at Starks and after so long unbeaten not overly confident about tomorrow. 1 1.

1 minute ago, Loondave1 said:
6 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

I'm not bitching after all this time just pointing out the lack of logic in what happened i.e initial rejection resulting in instant promotion via Clydebank's still warm cadaver. Certainly windy tomorrow I would think but maybe not quite Gayfield proportions. We rode our luck at Starks and after so long unbeaten not overly confident about tomorrow. 1 1.

I agree you are not bitching and I think raking over old decisions is just a bit of P/B banter while we wait for the real game . As to the weather thanks for that info.  The first goal will be really vital but we have been known to lose thereafter! Always enjoy visits to Forfar but prefer the Pie to the Bridie-sorry!

Archived