The Dunfermline Relegation Express

• 1 month later...

We’ll at least get a draw against Morton and secure our Championship status.

Was talking to the auld man about the standard: easily the worst season we’ve ever seen (since 98 when I first started going to the games)

The ball is most likely in the air 90% of the time tbh [emoji23][emoji23]

Hysterical bunch aren’t they?

As much as I’d chuckle if they went down it’s no happening. Falkirk are gone and one of Alloa or Queens will win the play offs.
Really? You really think Alloa will end up in the play offs?! There's no chance of that. Queens maybe, us for sure.

21 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:
56 minutes ago, D said:

As much as I’d chuckle if they went down it’s no happening. Falkirk are gone and one of Alloa or Queens will win the play offs.

Really? You really think Alloa will end up in the play offs?! There's no chance of that. Queens maybe, us for sure.

You do realise that after last night’s result, and the way the last two sets of fixtures have panned out, Dunfermline have a real possibility of finishing bottom.

You do realise that after last night’s result, and the way the last two sets of fixtures have panned out, Dunfermline have a real possibility of finishing bottom.
I've been more than open to that possibility for a month or so now. You've misread my post or the tone of it I think. I'm genuinely worried we'll go down.

6 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:
8 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

I've been more than open to that possibility for a month or so now. You've misread my post or the tone of it I think. I'm genuinely worried we'll go down.

Has Bruce Anderson been of any benefit to you guys? Your league situation would suggest not.

1 hour ago, Stellaboz said:

He's been good, scored a few goals despite having absolutely nothing to work with. Looks lively and if he keeps his head straight he'll do well in the future for Aberdeen.

Good to hear. Good luck on Saturday.

1 hour ago, Stellaboz said:
2 hours ago, D said:

Wait, am I being massively whooshed by your follow-up post saying you are being serious? You think there’s no chance of the team in 9th place with the worst goal difference in the division with two games to go finishing 9th, but the team in 5th who are 3 points and 8 goals better off are in serious danger?

It has now become a realistic scenario for a team with 41 points to finish 9th, but Dunfermline are the least likely to do so. In the event that Dunfermline lose both their games, that would obviously take Morton out the equation with a win over Dunfermline taking us to 43. You could have a scenario where Partick, QoS and Alloa also end up on on 41.

Partick - draw v Ayr, lose v QoS

QoS - lose v Ross County, win v Partick

Alloa - win one, lose one

In that scenario, you’re below QoS on goal difference, but you’d need a 6 goal swing to Partick and 8 goal swing to Alloa to finish below both of them. The only way that’s happening over two games is if you get absolutely hammered in both games, considering this scenario also has Alloa losing once & Partick’s goal difference getting worse.

Obviously it’s also possible that they both surpass you on points if you lose both - likely in Partick’s case, far from a guarantee for Alloa. There’s also the consideration that taking just one point from your last two games, one against a Morton team who only have 2 wins in 14 and haven’t beaten you this season, would also make Dunfermline safe.

If someone ends up 9th with 41 points it’s far more likely to be any other team in the battle than Dunfermline. Partick, Morton or Alloa are all have poor enough goal differences to put them at risk, while being there due to every other club getting to 42 or higher is more likely to happen to QoS or Alloa considering they both need 4 points to do so while the other three can draw their way out of it.

It’s not impossible for Dunfermline to go down, but the set of results needed still make them the least likely by a considerable distance.