Liam Neeson

Wasperoonie

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/features/liam-neeson-interview-rape-race-black-man-revenge-taken-cold-pursuit-a8760896.html

I doubt it'll ruin his career.  People who've said and done far worse still have glittering careers.

The point about the Troubles is interesting.  When I was growing up there used to be what they called "tit-for-tat" killings, it was almost glossed over in the media but the details are absolutely horrific.  That sort of environment can warp people - here's a good article about it: https://www.upi.com/Archives/1982/10/30/Tit-for-tat-killings-resume-in-Northern-Ireland/2965404798400/

If someone came from that culture you can see why they might have intrinsic violent responses and they might need to work on curbing those.

2 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/features/liam-neeson-interview-rape-race-black-man-revenge-taken-cold-pursuit-a8760896.html

I doubt it'll ruin his career.  People who've said and done far worse still have glittering careers.

It was in the past and he regrets it. No idea what the fuss is about. It is some way to promote a movie though

Guess if this teaches us nothing, it's that it is better to have learned from your mistakes and pretended you never made them, than to admit that you have grown as a person and were previously misguided in your beliefs.

41 minutes ago, sparky88 said:

It was in the past and he regrets it. No idea what the fuss is about. It is some way to promote a movie though

My thoughts exactly.

The guy was actually being honest and saying what he felt, when he actually thinks back it frightens him and he's shocked that he even had these thoughts, he regrets it but it happened.

As such I'd think he should be commended as opposed to everyone wanting to burn him at the stake..............

INdeed, he should instead be burnt at the stake for  working with Seth McFarlane.

On radio 5 Live they read out the entire quote from him. It was full of self-remorse and disbelief that, at one point, he felt this way. It didn't strike me as racist, and the only folk who think it is have clearly not actually heard what he said. But then they had an expert on who insisted it was, because he asked the rape victim what the colour of her attacker was, rather than "how tall was he"?

On a second point, a friend of my mother's used to run a shop. She was never a racist, but in the early 90s she was held up at knifepoint by a man of Indian or Pakistani origin. The incident really got to her, and she openly admits that after that, she became a racist towards that group.

28 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

On a second point, a friend of my mother's used to run a shop. She was never a racist, but in the early 90s she was held up at knifepoint by a man of Indian or Pakistani origin. The incident really got to her, and she openly admits that after that, she became a racist towards that group.

That's human nature and not in the least bit surprising.

The problem nowadays is that human emotions aren't permitted, we all have to be "hear no evil" "speak no evil" drones  as it were.

I'm sure that even the most "outraged" and those taking the biggest "offence" amongst us would be liars if they never thought a "bad" thought in the spur of the moment or let a serious personal event cloud their judgement.

Oh, to be one of the snowflake generation and 100% perfect.

I think not..............

I definitely fall in the camp of 'fair fucks to him for being honest'.

What he said is actually a really important message to angry young guys out there.  That youthful aggression nearly led him to ruin his life before it had even really started.  He must feel very fortunate he never acted on it.  How many young lives are ruined to this shit, both victim and perpetrator.

On this occasion it's worth looking at the bigger picture than just 'he said something about hurting a black guy'.  

So he more or less repeated the same story apart from saying that he asked the rape victim for a full description and not just his colour. Said he'd have done the same no matter which ethnic background the suspect had been.

Archived