Berwick v Stirling Albion

The difference (in my opinion) between Stirling and Berwick is that your new manager inherited some decent but under achieving players. Then, because he is a good manager, he got much more out of them. (Different level obviously, but similar to Solskjaer at Man U) 

Harvey inherited a few decent players and lots that just weren't good enough. And that is the legacy of Robbie Horn's crap budget and  our summer Boardroom conflict.

I would have to agree with this. When the season kicked off, I looked at our squad as one that wouldn’t win the league but would be in the mix for the Play Offs, why? Because we did have a good core of players who would play for most teams at this level, in fact, probably 7 or 8 of them, can Berwick honestly say that? I don’t see them enough but what I have seen of them this season and last, then no.

I watch Harvey’s interviews like I watch all the highlights from teams websites and he ‘s a guy that you want to see succeeding, he’s a likeable guy, the problem is that will only get you so far, we have that recently with Greg McDonald, Stuart McLaren and Dave Mackay, all likeable men that the fans warmed too at first but ultimately couldn’t get it right on the pitch for whatever reason, for Harvey’s and Berwick’s sake, I hope he doesn’t end up in that mould.

It’s a hard thing to do at this, or most levels these days, but you have to give the guy a summer to pull in his own squad. If it all goes wrong again, then you just have to keep writing off seasons until you find the right guy, it’s all you can do, but if you appoint someone to do a job then it’s my opinion that you need to allow him a few windows to pull the tools together to do that job, before you pull the plug.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Failed to see any improvements yesterday I’m afraid. 

Stirling just simply didn’t have there shooting boots on yesterday because it could have been another drubbing. In fact the first 2 goals chopped off for offside where very tight from where I was, highlights might clear that up. 

Im not sure how Hume is still getting a game, and keeping Murphy out the team. Between Murphy and Lewis Barr we have 2 cracking midfield players there who have a bit of everything in their locker. And Orru is horrific as well. 

Promising signs from back 4 and Given time/games the back 4 will only become better, but they are under a constant threat for 90 mins due to the dross they have in front of them. 

Regarding the comments in the difference between Stirling and us when managers took over, was the squads inherited. Jonny has brought in about 9 of his own players and moved on 5/6 from squad he inherited, so that is a lot of dribble. 

5 hours ago, Fergie1 said:

Failed to see any improvements yesterday I’m afraid. 

Stirling just simply didn’t have there shooting boots on yesterday because it could have been another drubbing. In fact the first 2 goals chopped off for offside where very tight from where I was, highlights might clear that up. 

Im not sure how Hume is still getting a game, and keeping Murphy out the team. Between Murphy and Lewis Barr we have 2 cracking midfield players there who have a bit of everything in their locker. And Orru is horrific as well. 

Promising signs from back 4 and Given time/games the back 4 will only become better, but they are under a constant threat for 90 mins due to the dross they have in front of them. 

Regarding the comments in the difference between Stirling and us when managers took over, was the squads inherited. Jonny has brought in about 9 of his own players and moved on 5/6 from squad he inherited, so that is a lot of dribble. 

It's not drivel or even dribble. The point is that Stirling finished 3rd last season and started this season very poorly, with several of last years decent players under achieving. New Manager, and they start playing well again. 

Berwick were shite last year, were unable to sign better players under Horn due to a custard pie fight in the Boardroom, and Harvey inherited a poor squad. They weren't underachieving, they were just rubbish. 

Now, you have a point that Harvey's signings have not transformed the team, but there is a difference between getting proven players to perform (Stirling) and creating a new team on the hoof with clumps of signings here and there. 

5 of Saturdays starting XI were Harvey's signings, 2 of them making debuts. I agree that Hume is unimpressive in midfield - Cook would be better. Healey, Orru and Brown weren't great either. I thought the defence was better and there were a few flashes up front, but the midfield is still rank. Easily the worst in the Division in terms of bossing possession. 

2 weeks to try a few things in training, then 6 games in 22 days, so the likes of Knox and Murphy should get their chance. 

1 hour ago, Redcar said:

It's not drivel or even dribble. The point is that Stirling finished 3rd last season and started this season very poorly, with several of last years decent players under achieving. New Manager, and they start playing well again. 

Berwick were shite last year, were unable to sign better players under Horn due to a custard pie fight in the Boardroom, and Harvey inherited a poor squad. They weren't underachieving, they were just rubbish. 

Now, you have a point that Harvey's signings have not transformed the team, but there is a difference between getting proven players to perform (Stirling) and creating a new team on the hoof with clumps of signings here and there. 

5 of Saturdays starting XI were Harvey's signings, 2 of them making debuts. I agree that Hume is unimpressive in midfield - Cook would be better. Healey, Orru and Brown weren't great either. I thought the defence was better and there were a few flashes up front, but the midfield is still rank. Easily the worst in the Division in terms of bossing possession. 

2 weeks to try a few things in training, then 6 games in 22 days, so the likes of Knox and Murphy should get their chance. 

Thank goodness for Albion. 

Archived