St Mirren vs Motherwell - 06/02/2019

7 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

He had a couple of cameo appearances but it never really happened for him. Strangely he's done pretty well since leaving us.

IIRC the chat at the time was that we didn't think we were getting Marvin Johnson so brought Thomas in and ended up with both.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I recall reading that it was an attitude problem with Thomas that resulted in us punting him. Seems to have carved out a decent career down south.

I’m lucky that I missed all the fun of that season when I moved away for a short time. I returned in time for the second leg of the play off. Was sitting in a shithole airport waiting to board a flight whilst the first leg was taking place. Bloody magic!

8 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Think my biggest regret in life is not going to Ibrox because I had an exam the next day.  Might just start lying to folk to hide the shame and tell them I was there.

Given the number of tickets that we got, hardly anyone* was there, so I wouldn't worry about it.

*I was there

Spoiler

It was fucking magic

lionel-ainsworth-of-motherwell-scores-du

Didn’t Straker and Laing actually join before deadline IIRC. I’d say from the  6 about 4 did decent Long, Laing, Grant and of course Marvin Johnson who was fantastic and maybe doesn’t get enough credit for him time with us.

34 minutes ago, Mitch said:

Beat place to park tonight? Normally get the train but a combination of working from home and having to be up stupidly early tomorrow morning for work means I need to drive tonight.

Clark St , Murray St or McFarlane are your best bets. 

Screenshot_20190206-080131_Maps.jpg

I've parked on McKean Street between Murray Street and Clark Street when visiting before but have always been confused by the parking restriction signs in the area. There seems to be no waiting or loading allowed but parking seems fine.

What's the enthusiasm like amongst the St. Mirren support? Is there likely to be much of a crowd. Is there some optimism about the new signings or is it a case of, wait and see?

2 hours ago, supermarv said:

Didn’t Straker and Laing actually join before deadline IIRC. I’d say from the  6 about 4 did decent Long, Laing, Grant and of course Marvin Johnson who was fantastic and maybe doesn’t get enough credit for him time with us.

I thought Long was god awful apart from the play-offs. Which to be fair, if you're going to play well in two games, those were the two to pick.

5 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe said:

I thought Long was god awful apart from the play-offs. Which to be fair, if you're going to play well in two games, those were the two to pick.

Agreed. Absolutely wrecking Kenny Miller in a challenge at Ibrox was the only good thing he did, IMO.

Good memories, here, and I'll fight anyone that thinks Marvin Johnson is anything other than the biggest signing of this century for us.

14 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Good memories, here, and I'll fight anyone that thinks Marvin Johnson is anything other than the biggest signing of this century for us.

Ooofttt!

18 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Agreed. Absolutely wrecking Kenny Miller in a challenge at Ibrox was the only good thing he did, IMO.

Could be a bit far but he was class, lightening fast and a goal scoring winger but didn’t quite have the same affection with the fans as other players.

Just now, supermarv said:

Could be a bit far but he was class, lightening fast and a goal scoring winger but didn’t quite have the same affection with the fans as other players.

I absolutely adored him, like. And I appreciate he didn't have the same kind of bond as someone like Moult, but he also was the key player (for me anyway) in defeating Rangers in the play-offs, and made us over a million quid, which has been transformational for the club at a time when we desperately needed that kind of windfall.

His contribution the pitch was absolutely massive when we desperately needed it, and off it in a way that few others have. Of course that's down to timing and the whims of the transfer market, but, yeah. I'll stand by that.

5 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

I absolutely adored him, like. And I appreciate he didn't have the same kind of bond as someone like Moult, but he also was the key player (for me anyway) in defeating Rangers in the play-offs, and made us over a million quid, which has been transformational for the club at a time when we desperately needed that kind of windfall.

His contribution the pitch was absolutely massive when we desperately needed it, and off it in a way that few others have. Of course that's down to timing and the whims of the transfer market, but, yeah. I'll stand by that.

Respect your opinion, even if I disagree.  My vote would go to Scott McDonald.

He'd be my key player for those play-off games - his midfield shift at Ibrox was sensational, which allowed Johnson, Ainsworth and Erwin to flourish.  If you could add that, to him pretty much keeping us up on his own in 2006/07, he's saved us from relegation twice this century.  Fire in a £700k transfer fee, plus him bringing on players like Moult & Erwin to levels not many thought possible (which in turn led to transfer/compensation fees of circa £1m).

He also showed, prior to The Model becoming a thing, that players can go to Motherwell, learn their trade and go on to perform at the highest level (winning leagues, cups and scoring in the Champions League, as opposed to playing for Oxford and Middlesbrough Reserves).

There's no denying Johnson's transfer fee and subsequent sell-on clause was very timely, considering what we were going through at the time, but McDonald > Johnson, IMO. 

17 minutes ago, Desp said:

Respect your opinion, even if I disagree.  My vote would go to Scott McDonald.

He'd be my key player for those play-off games - his midfield shift at Ibrox was sensational, which allowed Johnson, Ainsworth and Erwin to flourish.  If you could add that, to him pretty much keeping us up on his own in 2006/07, he's saved us from relegation twice this century.  Fire in a £700k transfer fee, plus him bringing on players like Moult & Erwin to levels not many thought possible (which in turn led to transfer/compensation fees of circa £1m).

He also showed, prior to The Model becoming a thing, that players can go to Motherwell, learn their trade and go on to perform at the highest level (winning leagues, cups and scoring in the Champions League, as opposed to playing for Oxford and Middlesbrough Reserves).

There's no denying Johnson's transfer fee and subsequent sell-on clause was very timely, considering what we were going through at the time, but McDonald > Johnson, IMO. 

Entirely fair, like, and I don't massively disagree with you either, but;

Tips it for me. I've never seen, or more importantly, heard, anything like that at Fir Park before or since. 

Oh aye.  That sound, nearly four years later and even with me having watched the video approximately 3.4 billion times, still gives me goosebumps every time I hear it.

Cammy Bell has literally watched his career go down the pan since that moment. 

Archived