St Mirren vs Motherwell - 06/02/2019

2 hours ago, Munoz said:

Anyway, we've got a new team now that look a lot better than the old. Just need some points now.

Is there anything to actually support this, other than blind optimism? 

The whole situation just reminds me of Baraclough. I remember the waive of optimism that came when he signed half a new team in January as well, only for most of them to turn out to be fairly gash in the end.

As for this, it’s a game on paper you’d like to think we’d be winning. We’re on a good run of form at the minute and have picked up as many points in our last 4 games as Saints have all season. On the other hand it’d be very Motherwell for everyone to get carried away, only for us to be brought back down to Earth here.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd be surprised to see us make any changes again. Whether it's by fluke or by design we've come across a team that's got a lovely balance to it. The back four is as good as we can put out, Rodriguez-Gorrín, Turnbull and Campbell is a great mix of battling & technical ability and up front we're just great fun. Hastie is an absolute unit and carries the ball about 50 yards at a time and Ariyibi nutmegs folk for fun. 

Still don't really know where McCormack fits in here tbh.

6 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

Is there anything to actually support this, other than blind optimism? 

The whole situation just reminds me of Baraclough. I remember the waive of optimism that came when he signed half a new team in January as well, only for most of them to turn out to be fairly gash in the end.

As for this, it’s a game on paper you’d like to think we’d be winning. We’re on a good run of form at the minute and have picked up as many points in our last 4 games as Saints have all season. On the other hand it’d be very Motherwell for everyone to get carried away, only for us to be brought back down to Earth here.

This is largely where I am tbh. Seeing hype around the team always feels like it's asking for a straight up boot in the baws.

Having said that one of Robinson's traits in the (almost) two years he's been manager is that once he's found a shape/system/way of playing he's tended to stick with it and all the noises he's been making in his chat to the press is that he wants us to stick to being "brave on the ball" and what not. So, like @well fan for life I don't think we'll see much by way of changes in either personnel or *cough* style

How we execute things is anyone's guess though.

14 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

On the other hand it’d be very Motherwell for everyone to get carried away, only for us to be brought back down to Earth here.

This.  Very much this. 

I've got a bad feeling St. Mirren will get something from this game.  I'll say 1-1. 

7 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Still don't really know where McCormack fits in here tbh.

That's a very interesting point.  With the formation we're currently using, you wouldn't have him in any of the wide roles ahead of Ariyibi or Hastie.  The #10 role is Turnbull's all day long.  Does he have the build and physicality to play the lone striker role?  Certainly there's no issues with regards to his ability to hold it up and bring others into play, but would he do the donkey work that Main does?

Still, no a bad sub to bring on...

28 minutes ago, Desp said:

This.  Very much this. 

I've got a bad feeling St. Mirren will get something from this game.  I'll say 1-1. 

That's a very interesting point.  With the formation we're currently using, you wouldn't have him in any of the wide roles ahead of Ariyibi or Hastie.  The #10 role is Turnbull's all day long.  Does he have the build and physicality to play the lone striker role?  Certainly there's no issues with regards to his ability to hold it up and bring others into play, but would he do the donkey work that Main does?

Still, no a bad sub to bring on...

The one thing I could see is him starting through the middle when he's fit. Which at this rate may well be by the end of April.

No idea how this will pan out with us having 10 new players in according to the manager better than the 16 shown the door. Maybe too soon for the new guy's to gel. Saturday at Ibrox is well documented thanks to the referee but it can't take away the fact we had not one shoot on target. 

12 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

The one thing I could see is him starting through the middle when he's fit. Which at this rate may well be by the end of April.

I think the bonus of the run we've put together is that we're now in the position where we're not actually relying on McCormack to "turn our season around". If he gets fit and wants to get fit then it's between him and Main for the #9 role however we're not really looking at having to force him into the side. We can get away with building up his match fitness off the bench at his own (leisurely) pace.

The question I have is where all this leaves Johnson. There have been question marks over his all round game all season and the Ross County game was an absolute shambles. 

He's certainly an option off the bench but it looks like Main, McCormack and Scott are the ones we're committed to at the moment and even if we went with two up front to change it up a bit I'd have thought it'd be two from those 3 or even Hastie that we'd be looking at.

Was it really only 5 games ago we won at Fir Park to go within 6 points of Well? 3 of the starting line-up that night have gone plus 2 of the subs used - throw in Hodson being injured and it'll be a radically different line-up.

If we don't close the gap on Accies/Dundee tonight realistically it'll only leave the H2H games.

3 hours ago, Munoz said:

So , this would have made The Well that night a relegation haunted Championship team ?

Erm, yes...that's pretty much the point we're trying to make. I get that you're maybe expecting some kind of "you're worse....no you're worse" thing here, but our whole point is that during that period we would 100% have struggled against Falkirk, so you are spot on.

What we're saying is that...St Mirren didn't look any better, and whereas we have improved immeasurably since then back towards something like our old selves, do you feel you have?

I'm not saying 3 points is a given for us at all, you can't say that in this league...but I'm going to the game in confidence that if we match our current performances we will have more than enough for the win.

17 minutes ago, btb said:

Was it really only 5 games ago we won at Fir Park to go within 6 points of Well? 3 of the starting line-up that night have gone plus 2 of the subs used - throw in Hodson being injured and it'll be a radically different line-up.

If we don't close the gap on Accies/Dundee tonight realistically it'll only leave the H2H games.

Tomorrow night Colin

2 hours ago, Al B said:

Erm, yes...that's pretty much the point we're trying to make. I get that you're maybe expecting some kind of "you're worse....no you're worse" thing here, but our whole point is that during that period we would 100% have struggled against Falkirk, so you are spot on.

What we're saying is that...St Mirren didn't look any better, and whereas we have improved immeasurably since then back towards something like our old selves, do you feel you have?

I'm not saying 3 points is a given for us at all, you can't say that in this league...but I'm going to the game in confidence that if we match our current performances we will have more than enough for the win.

I'd say one of our main problems this season has been an inability to put in a decent performance for 90mins. We've had a good few 1st half displays,  and some decent 2nd half displays.  Obviously in order to win games , you really need to be on it for the majority of the 90. 

Also Stubbs signings weren't good enough.  We were basically hindered from the outset.  

With that said,  I still think we'll somehow escape the drop. We've gambled on basically bringing in a new team and time will tell if they are indeed good enough. 

Blind faith and optimism is all we currently have.

4 minutes ago, Munoz said:

I'd say one of our main problems this season has been an inability to put in a decent performance for 90mins. We've had a good few 1st half displays,  and some decent 2nd half displays.  Obviously in order to win games , you really need to be on it for the majority of the 90. 

Also Stubbs signings weren't good enough.  We were basically hindered from the outset.  

With that said,  I still think we'll somehow escape the drop. We've gambled on basically bringing in a new team and time will tell if they are indeed good enough. 

Blind faith and optimism is all we currently have.

You need to be hoping for a better return than our own #StrakerDay back in 2015. We brought in 6 folk on deadline day and 5 of them were varying levels of dugmeat.

Obviously the one I'm on about being good is our Lord & Saviour Tony Straker.

8 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

You need to be hoping for a better return than our own #StrakerDay back in 2015. We brought in 6 folk on deadline day and 5 of them were varying levels of dugmeat.

Having said that here are our results post-#StrakerDay.

Granted Pearson and McDonald signed at different times so weren't in the photocall but still...

5c599f3dc82c2_ScreenShot2019-02-05at14_35_12.thumb.png.221c67f92d9c3c0d7c809f29846f4a18.png

6 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

Go on, remind me of the other haddies.

Great bunch of lads...

JS56108489.jpg

1 minute ago, well fan for life said:

Always a possibility,  but they have been supposedly watched and mostly come from half decent teams. Admittedly some have still to play for their parent clubs 1st team, and its always a gamble bringing in that many without time to gel. 

If nothing else, it'll be interesting. 

2 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Having said that here are our results post-#StrakerDay. Granted Pearson and McDonald signed at different times so weren't in the photocall but still.

5c599f3dc82c2_ScreenShot2019-02-05at14_35_12.thumb.png.221c67f92d9c3c0d7c809f29846f4a18.png

Great bunch of lads...

JS56108489.jpg

The best 2 results are funnily enough the bottom 2.

3 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Having said that here are our results post-#StrakerDay. Granted Pearson and McDonald signed at different times so weren't in the photocall but still...

Great bunch of lads...

JS56108489.jpg

image.png.e7a98005a8ca51107ee855278d4e575e.png

The apologetic expression says it all. Still, kept you up, Who went down that year? :whistle

Archived