St Mirren vs Motherwell - 06/02/2019

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was starting to think nobody was bothered about this game as there wasn't a thread but fortunately more important matters like pies and beans got things moving. Are the beans on top or at the side on a plate.
We're not going to be relegated and it's highly unlikely we'll threaten to get into the top six but it would be nice to keep the run going (helped by playing the rest of the bottom six in a row).
More important game for St. Mirren - has the January transfer window improved them?

Would be surprised if we changed anything round from the XI that have been on a decent run so far especially as due to getting pumped out the cup we've a free weekend for recovery.

The team pretty much picks itself at the moment. Aldred and Dunne are our best CB pair, Hastie's 3 goals in 4 games, Main got his first since September while the midfield 3 looks more balanced.

Going 433 also allows us to drop to a 451 if we need it which I'd imagine plays well with Robinson's instinct to "win the battle first".

The curious element is what's happening on the bench IMO. Does Scott keep his spot there if so does that leave Sammon our 5th choice striker? (which is fine but it makes me wonder if he's just decided to see the season out with us as cover rather than go through the hassle of a relegation scrap with another team. Not that there's anything wrong with that tbqh). Also how does Danny Johnson (still our top scorer) fit in going forward, if at all etc. 

Gillespie
Grimshaw Aldred Dunne Tait
Campbell Gorrin Turnbull
Hastie Main Ariyibi

Subs: Ferguson, McHugh, Hartley, Frear, Johnson, Scott, McCormack

Still feels like there's the chance of complacency fucking us up here though.

Our last performance against The Well was one of our better ones of a poor season . I'd settle for a repeat scoreline.  

Given your dislike for Hamilton,  can you not just gift us 4 penalties? It's all the rage just now. 

I though St Mirren were one of the worst premier league teams i’ve seen at Motherwell for a very long time, the fact they actually won shows how dire we were on the day. Unless they have improved dramatically or we go backwards again we should be winning this one and keeping the run going. 2-0 the well.

With the squad changes over the last couple of weeks I'd say Saints are at the equivalent stage of mid-July, ie have played a few friendlies, and have a few more to play before they'd be ready for the season to start.

Unfortunately it's February, and while Saints are looking to find out how the new additions can play best together, Well are on a great run.

Hopefully home advantage and the desire/need to get SOMETHING from this might let us take a point, but it's not looking good.

The cup being on Saturday is definitely going to help us get more game time with the new players, and hopefully start to form a team.

This game I think is too soon for us.

1-3.

3 hours ago, Bobby_F said:

With the squad changes over the last couple of weeks I'd say Saints are at the equivalent stage of mid-July, ie have played a few friendlies, and have a few more to play before they'd be ready for the season to start.

Unfortunately it's February, and while Saints are looking to find out how the new additions can play best together, Well are on a great run.

Hopefully home advantage and the desire/need to get SOMETHING from this might let us take a point, but it's not looking good.

The cup being on Saturday is definitely going to help us get more game time with the new players, and hopefully start to form a team.

This game I think is too soon for us.

1-3.

Can we sabotage the pitch and get it postponed to mid March? 

I wasn't at the Fir Park game but St Mirren in Paisley were the worst top flight team I've seen in the Premiership era. A competent team would have took 5 or 6 off them. They seem to have signed half a new team since then though so should surely be a tougher proposition.

Would usually take a draw in any away game just to keep the unbeaten run going but if we're serious about chasing down 6th then 3 points is a must.

How we contrived to lose in the last meeting was unbelievable . St Mirren that day were quite comfortably the worst top flight side I'd seen in the last few years , and I include our McGhee side featuring Chalmers , Jules et al in that .

We have obviously changed things up a bit style and formation wise , as well as a fair shift in our regular starters , while Saints have gone wholesale change during January , so hard to draw comparisons between then and now .

Going on the assumption that we will start with the same 11 we have done for the last few games , and Saints new boys will still be in the process of gelling , I will  go for a 2-0 'Well victory with Gboly getting off the mark and Main extending his red hot scoring streak to , eh , 2 .

1 minute ago, glenburn bud said:

I actually thought Motherwell were comfortably the worst team I’ve seen all season when we thrashed them 1-0 at fir park.  

We were. In fact we have been pish poor for most of the season. However we did pull out some decent results somehow including a 3-0 pumping of Aberdeen.

But on Saturday we just clicked. 3-0 up in 20 minutes and could have been 5 or 6 by HT. To be fair Livi had their chances and a better team would have taken one or two. 

If we maintain the discipline, play as we have been last couple of games and are NOT complacent then the Buddies will see a different Motherwell side than before Xmas. That said it is Motherwell and it would be oh so typical if we screw up. 

Would rather the Accies go down but we will pump them next time out so the 3 points we take of you on Wed night won’t have much bearing on the final positions. That is my theory at least.....

7 hours ago, glenburn bud said:

I actually thought Motherwell were comfortably the worst team I’ve seen all season when we thrashed them 1-0 at fir park.  

Would definitely agree with that. How they were 6 points ahead of us at that point was beyond me. 

I'm torn on this one. 

On one hand it's most certainly a must win. 

On the other hand, we could realistically be looking at up to 7 or 8 changes from the starting XI who won at Fir Park.  Individually there is no doubt that the guys brought in are better footballers but the concern is the question of so many guys gelling so quickly.

With our next two league games at Pittodrie and Tynecastle, I do fear that we really need to get 3 points here tomorrow. 

We could do with February being a white out and dealing with the fixture congestion down the road. 

45 minutes ago, Munoz said:

Would definitely agree with that. How they were 6 points ahead of us at that point was beyond me. 

Yep, we were dreadful that day, maybe the worst performance at home for a couple of seasons. I think though if as stated that was one of St Mirrens better performances I would not have wanted to witness the awful ones. To me they just looked like a bang average championship team.

A note of caution here amongst the unbridled optimism and the "Saints are shite" chat. After being excellent against Hibs at Fir Park, we were pretty flat against another shite team at Dens 3 days later. Although we got the 3 points in the end, the team generally and Ariyibi and Hastie especially were unable to hit the heights again so soon and it remains an open question if either is at the levels of match fitness that they need to be at. Could be a harder game than many expect.

Spoiler

5-0 'Well. Easy.

16 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

Mind Captain Sensible?

Do St Mirren fans still mention the day they all came to Fir Park?

I genuinely hear that more on here from Motherwell fans - proof of how long he banged on about it for :lol:

10 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

They seem to have signed half a new team since then though so should surely be a tougher proposition.

It's more than that. Our first choice starting XI now contains nine players that weren't here at the start of the window.

36 minutes ago, Yorky said:

Yep, we were dreadful that day, maybe the worst performance at home for a couple of seasons. I think though if as stated that was one of St Mirrens better performances I would not have wanted to witness the awful ones. To me they just looked like a bang average championship team.

So , this would have made The Well that night a relegation haunted Championship team ? 

Anyway, we've got a new team now that look a lot better than the old. Just need some points now.

Archived