Annan Athletic vs Clyde

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, DG.Roma said:

Not declaring anything, I'm not official, also not manually counting either. Ground capacity given as 2504 aye, with 500 seats, according to Wikipedia or Football Grounds Guide. That'll do for me and answers the previous question fine.

Broadwood, I actually like it. Sheltered as you say and never any bother finding a seat. What sort of numbers do you think you'd get (home fans) if you got back to the Championship?

Interesting question. How many clubs have you asked this of, before?

Under the new regime, i'd like to think that the mechanisms are in place that we could look to draw in at least a four figure sum. I'm not one for beating the pity drum over a shite decade as its largely been self-inflicted, however i very much doubt that any club in what i'd call our middle-order group of yo-yo-ish clubs would have continued pulling in mostly a regular number of punters (450-550) throughout that period. Give Dumbarton, Alloa, Arbroath, and i'd throw Airdrie in there too as their incarnate have been shite since their implosion in 2002, ten years of this and they'd be nowhere near getting their base figure through the door. 

Funnily enough, we've actually accrued an almost fresh batch of youngsters from the local area that supposedly "does nothing for the club", who travel in dozens to every single match they can get to despite being absolute crap most of their time watching the team. A sign of something tangible, if the product was entertaining. 

I'd hazard a guess that anything up to 1000 people attend multiple games a season at the ground as it is, just hardly ever (oe never to be precise) in sync with one another as many of the older guard simply have had enough of committing their lives to it. Our imminent success will change that, no doubt. 

2 hours ago, Officer Barbrady said:

Interesting question. How many clubs have you asked this of, before?

Funnily enough, we've actually accrued an almost fresh batch of youngsters from the local area that supposedly "does nothing for the club", who travel in dozens to every single match they can get to despite being absolute crap most of their time watching the team. A sign of something tangible, if the product was entertaining. 

Precisely zero, it's the first time I've asked the question. I asked because you have the facilities, population, history and ambition to regrow, and of course because we're in the same thread as I'll be seeing your team tomorrow.

It is an interesting question though because you look at teams like Queen of the South, with their greatest ever player in full flow, but attendances are really low, or Kilmarnock with their best team in generations, attendances up but still nowhere near even half capacity.

Great news about the youth, very good to read and promising in the current era of "supporting" the big English and Spanish teams who are on TV regularly rather than actually supporting your locals. Hopefully your young crew get into a habit that sticks

39 minutes ago, DG.Roma said:

Precisely zero, it's the first time I've asked the question. I asked because you have the facilities, population, history and ambition to regrow, and of course because we're in the same thread as I'll be seeing your team tomorrow.

It is an interesting question though because you look at teams like Queen of the South, with their greatest ever player in full flow, but attendances are really low, or Kilmarnock with their best team in generations, attendances up but still nowhere near even half capacity.

Great news about the youth, very good to read and promising in the current era of "supporting" the big English and Spanish teams who are on TV regularly rather than actually supporting your locals. Hopefully your young crew get into a habit that sticks

Based on the group of factors you mention, and the elapsed time since we actually lost a large chunk of potential supporters in our early years at the stadium, if we were to get ourselves in a position where we could sustain ourselves in Tier 2, i'd consider it a conservative aim to do so while attracting higher home gates than either Livingston or Hamilton do currently. Both clubs are terribly supported from their areas, for the standard they provide.

Joining what i'd call the 'B-' group of clubs, in which i'd include Morton, QotS, Ayr, Raith, Inverness and Ross County, (generally 2-2,500 gates) wouldn't be unrealistic given the natural resources. Building towards a solid core of the 3-5,000 gates of the 'B+' sides like Falkirk, Dunfermline, St.Mirren and that fucking mob in Maryhill would definitely be a hard ask, but with a newer generation of adults, and a lesser USP for the 'old firm' since the year 2012, its something which could be built up but only with sustained success. Livingston's 3 years good, 5 years shite business plan has cost them as many fans as our dreadful first five years at Broadwood did for us. 

1 minute ago, LiviClyde said:

Haven't made it down to Galabank for a few years. Can someone update me on parking arrangements/ availability?

Small car park at ground. If coming from M74 you turn right just before the ground as you enter Annan. Plenty on roads around ground as well.

16 minutes ago, David W said:

Small car park at ground. If coming from M74 you turn right just before the ground as you enter Annan. Plenty on roads around ground as well.

Cheers David. Think I recall that from the last time I was down, but  I got in there by the skin of my teeth.

Presumably need to be early to get a place.

Fair play to Annan making sure there’ll be sufficient cover for the away supporters. Not something they had to do so respect for that. Been a fair few times I got totally drenched down there as only space was uncovered terracing/path one of which was so bad I watched the second half through updates on Sky Sports News in the Shed!

Massive games in the league today, let’s hope they all go in our favour!

Archived