Annan Athletic vs Clyde

No surprise McNiff is in when you watch Annan slinging the ball on big diagonals for 45 minutes. They've absolutely pummeled us with the long ball but Currie has made four outstanding saves. 

Good goal by Syvertsen but we're absolutely stealing a win just now.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, David W said:

No surprise McNiff is in when you watch Annan slinging the ball on big diagonals for 45 minutes. They've absolutely pummeled us with the long ball but Currie has made four outstanding saves. 

Good goal by Syvertsen but we're absolutely stealing a win just now.

Credit where due- he’s kept us in it - well done BC

Disappointed to lose a late goal but Annan certainly merrited a point. Battled hard but we had absolutely nothing when Syvertsen went off. Still a point on the road and Edinburgh and Peterhead drew so no change at the top at least.

Just now, Scott-Replay said:

Disappointed to lose a late goal but Annan certainly merrited a point. Battled hard but we had absolutely nothing when Syvertsen went off. Still a point on the road and Edinburgh and Peterhead drew so no change at the top at least.

Yes- i’ll certainly take the draw- but would be cheering if we’d snatched the draw not quite how I feel at moment 

A  very decent result, you'd have to say, given how the game appears to have unfolded. It's never an easy game down there these days (or ever, for Clyde), illustrated by the 3-0 skelping Annan issued to Peterhead last week. Disappointing not to ride it out in the last five minutes and take full advantage of what was, in my opinion, the perfect result for us at Balmoor, but 19 points from 21 is still ridiculously good form and we've not lost any ground today. Good to see Syvertsen grabbing a goal too, hopefully that gives him a boost. 

5 minutes ago, Jack Burton said:

Would have taken a draw in our game and in the Peterhead vs Edinburgh game beforehand but always disappointing to lose a goal so close to full time.

Feel exactly the same way. 2 shots on target. The goal and one in stoppage time. Annan the better team and deserved the point. Hurry back Goody.

6 minutes ago, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

Thought the team defended really well against 30-40 long high balls. I don’t know if Annan play that way all the time but that ismurder to watch

No, they don't, and it was really frustrating. Annan play better with the ball on the deck but for some reason they just refused to do it today. Fair enough get Nade on and resort to that late on if need be, but not all game long with Aidan Smith & Chris Johnston up there.

Could have been a totally different game if Tommy Muir had finished that 1 on 1 in the 1st half but credit to Currie for that save and a handful of others before half time. Syvertsen took his goal well, totally against the run of play.

Pet hate of mine - teams playing the clock in the 1st half and the ref adding on nothing at half time. He even warned Clyde players a few times so he acknowledged time was being wasted but didn't add any time. 

Relieved to get a draw, because it didn't look like the equaliser was coming. Should really feel more gutted about not winning.

No idea why but Annan didn’t try at any point to play football, constant long ball tactic. 

We didn’t do much going forward,  but defender brilliantly. Lang was outstanding, rumsby very good as well. Cuddihy solid as usual and McNiff was good enough at left back. 

Given how the game went, it’s a decent point without losing ground on Edinburgh or Peterhead. 

Lyon shoved the centre half 2 or 3 times giving them an easy free kick. 

Mcstay lucky not to be seriously injured when shoved into the wall, which the ref done nothing about. Likewise with the shove into the barrier behind the goal. 

In all the times I’ve been to Annan, by far the biggest crowd we’ve taken, I thought maybe 150 down today. 

Great support but not performance to match...

Annan thoroughly deserved their point for pressure alone and i wouldn't have fancied another 5-10 mins of that..

Our midfield over ran (Until Nicoll came on for a while) & up front we lacked any real threat and options with Ross Lyon coming on and playing up front which was bizarre..

Positivies. Unbeaten run continues,Not any further behind though one less game down..

Finally Centre forward on loan a must Danny to play alongside Norway or Love until DGW back and match fit

Have to be thankful that our worst performance for a while still kept our unbeaten run intact, and at a very difficult venue.

Too many players had an off day today - McStay, Grant, Rankin and Boyle  in particular -  and overall Annan just looked hungrier than we did.

Hopefully normal service will be resumed next week.

It's weird; for me a guy getting shoved into the wall is fairly obviously endangering an opponent, but you'll see referees ignore it more often than not (Merseyside derby last season Firmino actually gets shoved over the wall into the stand). Or situations like where Hooper is in at the start of the second half and he gets absolutely clattered by McNiff as he shoots; it was so late the ball might've been over the bar by the time he makes contact so maybe not a penalty but it should be a certain yellow card. That said, I thought it was a really tough game to referee; very physical and with a nasty undercurrent when Love came on. Ross will have worse games.

We basically spent 90 minutes trying to get on the ball and failing due to some great pressing from Annan. Grant and McStay struggled to find any space. Only really Rankin at times found a bit of time on the ball. I don't think picking Moxon for MotM would've been a difficult decision. 

Currie made a phenomenal double save from a couple of close range efforts (not sure how Johnston didn't score) and was unlucky to concede. Rumsby and Lang as good as each other, some phenomenal last ditch defending. Cuddihy and McNiff defended well. The only other time we'd have stood up to that sort of barrage would've been when we had the team of giants season under BF. Midfield didn't work at all, Lamont particularly dreadful, and rightly hooked for Nicoll who helped us stem the tide a bit but ultimately gave up the daft free-kick from which the equaliser came. Syvertsen had nothing to work with but scored a great goal and did as well as he could. Lyon on up front was a bizarre change and we're better than the nonsense time-wasting of McStay pretending to come off.

Another away game down, a good result in Peterhead, and another week closer to DGW's return.

Archived