Panini 1979

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, Lurkst said:

You are indeed correct :oops

07890b4f-cd01-49c7-aee6-4a741ea3aa17.jpg

What is this nonsense?   Stickers for teams that weren't good enough to get there - and as for those flags they've used to depict England?!

On 2/5/2019 at 07:08, Lurkst said:

Morton and Hearts got promoted in 78.

My school went Panini daft in 1979, there was this European edition that introduced the multi sticker pictures that never lined up properly...

panini-euro-football-79-01.jpg

I also remember collecting one with stickers of birds.  A serious but thankfully short term addiction. 

Think I have this album - in terms of the UEFA Cup qualifiers Hibs fans would be seething at their team photo being a mere one sticker compared to a double-sticker version for Dundee United.

What is this nonsense?   Stickers for teams that weren't good enough to get there - and as for those flags they've used to depict England?!

That seemed to have been a thing until fairly recently. In 1966 the posters, programmes etc. had Union Flags on them. I had a plastic football (think a Shoot 5) from the 1986 World Cup that had a Union Flag on it although I can't remember if it also had a Saltire. If could have represented Northern Ireland though - I think officially their flag is still the Union Flag?

3 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:
6 hours ago, tarapoa said:

That seemed to have been a thing until fairly recently. In 1966 the posters, programmes etc. had Union Flags on them. I had a plastic football (think a Shoot 5) from the 1986 World Cup that had a Union Flag on it although I can't remember if it also had a Saltire. If could have represented Northern Ireland though - I think officially their flag is still the Union Flag?

Yes, as late as Euro 96, the commentators remarked on the prevalence of St George's flags, because it was at that time unusual.  That was the point at which the Union Flag ceased to be the main one among England fans.  It would be a while yet until England flags would start gracing the homes and car windows of Brexiteers.  

Still no excuse for the Union Flag ever appearing in official graphics and stuff though.

On 2/4/2019 at 07:08, jamtart1972 said:

IMG_20190204_113515.jpg

IMG_20190204_113550.jpg

IMG_20190204_113616.jpg

IMG_20190204_113644.jpg

A bald Eamon Lynch played for Shettleston Juniors later in his career.

I had this Panini album. One sticker missing: Tottenham's Barry Daines. I can even remember his number after all these years. (333). b*****d.

17 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I had a big poster with that photo. Bought it on holiday in Dundee. Nae expense spared in those days.

Archived