• Created
  • Last Reply
IMG_20190204_114112.thumb.jpg.4fa3924a0a2785d2f900557dc9f08938.jpg
IMG_20190204_114129.thumb.jpg.1f1b4f43f361c78ca8ebc72c351fa430.jpg
IMG_20190204_114112.thumb.jpg.378a762da638e1af69a3f1c86f2704af.jpg
IMG_20190204_114129.thumb.jpg.ead799c2f364643e604203f60144ac03.jpg
IMG_20190204_114200.thumb.jpg.6c924d4f3abda656bab0ff15ba0d6a7e.jpg
IMG_20190204_114308.thumb.jpg.5bbaf1fba33cff895abcf36d3e146a82.jpg

Some signings back in the day. From Clydebank Strollers, Shettleston Juniors and Dundee Schools to name some of the bigger teams.

Fair play to the OP, I never managed to complete one of these. I blame a deprived childhood and tightwad parents who refused to stump the required money at the newsagents for the sticker packs. 12p a go if I recall correctly?

30 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

Some signings back in the day. From Clydebank Strollers, Shettleston Juniors and Dundee Schools to name some of the bigger teams.

Fair play to the OP, I never managed to complete one of these. I blame a deprived childhood and tightwad parents who refused to stump the required money at the newsagents for the sticker packs. 12p a go if I recall correctly?

Was 5p for 6 stickers IIRC. In my most severe act of thievery I once nicked a pound note from my mum's purse and bought 20 packets.  Fortunately my kleptomania was cured shortly afterwards when I saw how many doubles I ended up with.

Great memories in this thread :thumsup2 Football 79 was probably the album I came closest to completing.  Could never be bothered writing off for the missing stickers, at a scandalous 2p each plus p&p.

I read recently to complete the Panini World Cup 2018 book would've cost in the region of £800! :blink:

8 minutes ago, Lurkst said:

Was 5p for 6 stickers IIRC. In my most severe act of thievery I once nicked a pound note from my mum's purse and bought 20 packets.  Fortunately my kleptomania was cured shortly afterwards when I saw how many doubles I ended up with.

Great memories in this thread :thumsup2 Football 79 was probably the album I came closest to completing.  Could never be bothered writing off for the missing stickers, at a scandalous 2p each plus p&p.

I read recently to complete the Panini World Cup 2018 book would've cost in the region of £800! :blink:

I was hopeless at completing these things.  I think my parents were too stingy to fully indulge me.

In the 79 album, the only team I completed was Man United.   

The previous year I had a World Cup one that I don't think was Panini.  For some bizarre reason, at the back it had team group pictures of the home nations, even though only one was heading to the World Cup.   In the caption for the Scotland one, it referred to 'Ken' Dalglish.

3 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

The previous year I had a World Cup one that I don't think was Panini.  For some bizarre reason, at the back it had team group pictures of the home nations, even though only one was heading to the World Cup.   In the caption for the Scotland one, it referred to 'Ken' Dalglish.

It was Panini alright...

78+Panini+-+Argentina+78+-002.JPG

Aye it had these half page sets of excluded teams like England, Switzerland and Portugal. Presumably so fans from those countries bought them too....

I managed to complete the 1978 Panini album (not the World Cup edition) and I think that had Ayr United and Clydebank in it. Can't remember who they were instead of that year although I think Hearts were one of them and possibly Kilmarnock compared to your 1979 edition.

The one thing that really stands out is the number of Scots in the various English teams in those days.

11 hours ago, jamtart1972 said:

IMG_20190204_113724.jpg

IIRC Stewart "Basil" Rennie was part-time with Motherwell because he had a good paying Civil Service job. I think I heard that he also grew a beard to hide a scar suffered when diving at the feet of a forward. He was Edinburgh City manager and then Assistant manager in his second spell with the club and his laddie played as a striker for Edinburgh City for a while in the East of Scotland League. 

7 hours ago, Archie McSquackle said:

I managed to complete the 1978 Panini album (not the World Cup edition) and I think that had Ayr United and Clydebank in it. Can't remember who they were instead of that year although I think Hearts were one of them and possibly Kilmarnock compared to your 1979 edition.

Morton and Hearts got promoted in 78.

My school went Panini daft in 1979, there was this European edition that introduced the multi sticker pictures that never lined up properly...

panini-euro-football-79-01.jpg

I also remember collecting one with stickers of birds.  A serious but thankfully short term addiction. 

8 hours ago, Lurkst said:

It was Panini alright...

78+Panini+-+Argentina+78+-002.JPG

Aye it had these half page sets of excluded teams like England, Switzerland and Portugal. Presumably so fans from those countries bought them too....

I think the thing I've got in mind was different, probably cheaper.

I think it was mainly black in colour and the stickers were rounded at the edges.  The countries were listed at the top of their relevant pages in different languages.

10 hours ago, velo army said:

In terms of the managers who have managed in Scotland and played in European club finals.

Wim Jansen (Feyenoord 1970

Following on from the Motherwell question there are numerous players/managers who fit this category. A good % of those who played for any of the Scottish clubs who reached European finals will have gone on to manage at some point.  The are several names from who played for English clubs but managed in Scotland - Graeme Souness and Martin O'Neill come first to mid. Also, did Frank Sauzee play for Marseille when they won the European Cup? Might be interesting is anyone could be bothered to prepare a comprehensive list.

47 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

The countries were listed at the top of their relevant pages in different languages.

The Panini book definitely had that. How else would an 8 year old know Switzerland was also called Helvetica...

4 hours ago, Lurkst said:

The Panini book definitely had that. How else would an 8 year old know Switzerland was also called Helvetica...

Helvetia - helvetica is a font

Yours pedantically....

8 hours ago, Lurkst said:

It might have done, but I'm sure it wasn't that Panini album.  

I'm a bit puzzled though as I can't find any evidence of it anywhere.  If It was all a dream, it was a bloody elaborate one.  The inexplicable team photo of Northern Ireland had them wearing kits with a big Celtic Cross on the chest.   Wales players were wearing hideous track suits.

9 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

It might have done, but I'm sure it wasn't that Panini album.  

I'm a bit puzzled though as I can't find any evidence of it anywhere.  If It was all a dream, it was a bloody elaborate one.  The inexplicable team photo of Northern Ireland had them wearing kits with a big Celtic Cross on the chest.   Wales players were wearing hideous track suits.

The NI national team fielded crosshairs in the centre of their chest in 1977, if historicalkits.co.uk is to be believed. Presumably the 1977 or 1978 album would be the one you're looking for. The welsh kit for the same year was either bright red with two yellow/green strips running vertically or for the away strip, bright yellow with two green/red stripes, which would likely correspond with a similarly hideous tracksuit, though historicalkits doesn't have those.

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/international/northern-ireland/northern-ireland-1961-1979.html

19 minutes ago, Aim Here said:

The NI national team fielded crosshairs in the centre of their chest in 1977, if historicalkits.co.uk is to be believed. Presumably the 1977 or 1978 album would be the one you're looking for. The welsh kit for the same year was either bright red with two yellow/green strips running vertically or for the away strip, bright yellow with two green/red stripes, which would likely correspond with a similarly hideous tracksuit, though historicalkits doesn't have those.

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/international/northern-ireland/northern-ireland-1961-1979.html

Yes, it was the Wales kit of that Admiral era that saw Dundee and Coventry wear similar designs.  The tracksuit however was more like the West Ham kit of the time with a sort of yoke thing.

I really can't find a trace of this album anywhere.  It could become a dangerous obsession.

Archived