Hamilton Accies vs St Johnstone 06/02/2019

2 minutes ago, Widge said:

What was that formation all about, Craig on the left wing, O’Halloran playing in the hole. Why has Wright taken it upon himself to change a winning formation. He’s got to go back to Wotherspoon on the left, someone on the right and Kennedy through the middle. Either way, Hamilton deserved to win that game by sheer determination and commitment. Saints had none of it tonight, Both goals coming down Fosters side when once again he has no protection in front of him.

Foster has been pish of late imo, Joe needs dropped after that, captain or not.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fully deserved win for Accies based on that second half performance. They wanted it much more than we did which is disappointing to see, really. Shaughnessy had a nightmare against Oakley and Davis who looked like they’ll be a real handful for anyone. The two subs - miller and Kane - produced two moments of quality for the first two goals and I don’t honestly know how we conceded that second goal. It was a decent enough cross but Shaughnessy seemed to leave it for Kerr who left it for Clark who seemed to leave it for Shaughnessy - a real lack of anyone taking responsibility. 

In terms of positives, I thought Craig played well for us and Kane gave us some energy up top when he came on. Goss has an excellent range of passing and used the ball well enough in the middle. 

Well done Accies. 

I loved that.
I loved Davies and Oakley bullying two of the best CBs in the league.
I loved Sowah playing, erm, well.
I loved Kilgallon playing with one leg.
I loved Ziggy's challenge at the end.
I love the positivity around the club recently.
And, of course, I love Brian Rice.

It won't last and we'll all turn on him after we lose to Hibs, but football's enjoyable again.

Saints got exactly what they deserved. Some of those individual performances were beyond bad. Although the shape of the team, when the manager finally seemed to settle on one, was horrible, typified by O'Halloran spearheading the midfield. I was no huge fan of Scougall but he isn't going to start playing systems that would've actually suited him now surely!

Performances like that and four defeats will become six or seven.

Glad to see Oakley doing well, he’s a decent lad. Seeing comments about Oakley bullying the defence and giving them hell, that’s Oakley right there for you, he’s superb at that. He’s not usually a goalscorer though, but he’ll do well for you.
Two identical goals: coming across the front post to flick it in.
The formation worked really well in an attacking sense as the two strikers would occupy the CBs while Boyd would find space in between for the chest-downs. Out wide, the FB would push high up when the ball was on his side, while Boyd and the wider CM would come across. It made for some really neat passages of play and left the two strikers in the middle for crosses. It's nice seeing that Rice has a bit of attacking knowledge and tries to generate overloads while we have the ball a bit deeper in order to create space for the wide midfielder, full-back or striker. It was more evident on Saturday but still happened tonight.
The diamond isn't great defensively. There was constant confusion in regard to who had to press the man on the ball and the FB was regularly left isolated. It's just not a very good shape to defend in, in my opinion.
Still, it's good to see that he has flexibility in his tactics, and the risk of a poor defensive shape paid off due to the attacking performance.

What a difference it is following a team trying to win games by taking the game to their opponents for a change. Big bad Steve and Oakley were excellent up front but everyone knuckled down and put a shift in. Our two subs Miller and Andreu providing the ammo for Oakley. He could turn out to be a great signing for us. His workrate is phenomenal. Rice in!

I loved that.
I loved Davies and Oakley bullying two of the best CBs in the league.
I loved Sowah playing, erm, well.
I loved Kilgallon playing with one leg.
I loved Ziggy's challenge at the end.
I love the positivity around the club recently.
And, of course, I love Brian Rice.

It won't last and we'll all turn on him after we lose to Hibs, but football's enjoyable again.
Well ? Sowah was trememdous.

Archived