Hamilton Accies vs St Johnstone 06/02/2019

This is a big game for both sides. Hamilton have a new manager and a bit of optimism after a more attack minded performance against Dundee and we're in the middle of a horror run of Hearts, Celtic x3, Aberdeen and Rangers with this game the only one against a side below us in the table.

I thought we gave a good account of ourselves against Celtic and I wouldn't be devastated if we used a similar shape again for this match. I'd want the attack minded players pushed up to be closer to Watt and wouldn't be too disappointed if we went with roughly the same personnel again, with the only changes I'd make being Craig in for Callachan and O'Halloran for Swanson. Goss gave a very good first impression with his use of the ball on Sunday and he certainly doesn't seem like the pea heart that some Rangers fans seemed to suggest he was on social media. What better way to test that theory than against Accies away on a cold Wednesday night in February?

Clark

Foster Kerr Shaughnessy Tanser

Davidson Goss Craig

O'Halloran Kennedy

Watt

I'd like the attack minded 3 to have a bit of a free role with the 7 outfield players behind them offering support by staying in their shape. O'Halloran looked a bit sharper yesterday although still some way to go before he's at his flying best and Kennedy looked much more like himself after a bit of a sluggish start after the winter break too. 

This is probably more of a 'must not lose' than a 'must win' given that Hibs are away to Celtic but given the run of games we're in the middle of, this is probably one we need to win so that we don't completely kick the habit over a 4 or 5 week spell. 

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We were really vulnerable to counters on Saturday, which St Johnstone are very capable of exploiting. Back-to-back good performances were hard to come by under Canning, so it'll be interesting to see if they maintain the intensity from the weekend with a new guy in, and what will happen now that there isn't really a shock value.

I’m interested to see Goss in a game where we’re likely to have more possession than against Celtic. His range of passing and his accuracy looked good in the brief moments on the ball he had on Sunday-that’s exactly what we’ve been lacking.

I’d go for almost the same XI, with Craig replacing Callachan. Either that or MOH for Callachan with Kennedy playing central with Watt and MOH/Swanson on either side.

We badly need three points here to keep the gap over seventh through this run of fixtures.

1 hour ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

I’d go for almost the same XI, with Craig replacing Callachan. Either that or MOH for Callachan with Kennedy playing central with Watt and MOH/Swanson on either side.

Yes to this team. Just once at least to see it in all its attacking glory.  On a cold miserable Wednesday night, for a couple of hours, Hamilton would become the entertainment capital of Europe.

Make it happen, Tommy.

Though in reality, we could see a few squad players who won't be starting on Sunday come into the starting team.

3 hours ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

We badly need three points here to keep the gap over seventh through this run of fixtures

This is exactly where I am at. 3 points, no less.

Got a feeling we might see a completely random start for Keown, but no idea where he'd fit.

Clark

Foster - Kerr - Shaughnessy - Tanser

MOH - Callachan - Craig - Swanson

Kennedy

Watt

MOH and Swanson need minutes, they won't get any momentum without it. 

Save Murray Davidson for the Cup game and let Callachan do all the running. 

19 hours ago, Owsley said:

Is Brian Easton any nearer a return?

Back in full training. Wont be in the squad tomorrow because the manager wants him to get some minutes in the reserves but he's not far off.

1 hour ago, tree house tam said:

We getting in cheap or are we being ripped off?

Why would you think that St. J . fans would get in  "cheap " ? 

Or be  " ripped off " ? 

Not having a go m9 , genuine question ...

1 minute ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

Fake news.

No it isn't,  we got in cheaper sometime in the last wee while. Matches at Hamilton tend to blend into one big blur, we turn up and win, unless our players start fighting that is.

Still can't get over the minter of a celebration that Hamilton did that day, you were playing against 9 men ffs.

4 hours ago, tree house tam said:

We getting in cheap or are we being ripped off?

2 hours ago, tree house tam said:

Because it happened either this season or last.

Because £24-26 is a rip off imo

There's your answer m9

Accies charge away support £22

St Johnstone charge away support £23 (plus £5 parking)

?

Archived