Morton v Ayr

15 minutes ago, Lochwood said:

Meant to say earlier that’s the last admission money Morton get from me, didn’t go to the last game as the bit of the stand they were putting us in was horrendous for viewing and facilities shocking toilets etc

Went yesterday as I saw we were in the terracing area but not much better than the stand can’t see anything from there to the top goals just guessing very cramped again and same facilities toilets etc terrible, whole away end lying empty and no respect for fans so good bye to Cappielow for me in the future, show some respect to your customers and you might get me back.

I know Somerset’s not the san siro but there ground is way poorer.

Have to say as anything’s better than talking about the game - Johansson calling it a good performance says a lot about what a tragic loser he is - I really don’t understand this.

Somerset is my favourite away ground in the division with terracing and the choice of different areas to stand, but the view from the away section of the Cowshed is considerably better than any of three sides you can watch from as an away fan at Somerset. You get bugger all elevation at any side at Somerset and therefore have a terrible view of the other half of the pitch, a trade off I’m happy to take for being able to stand and move around freely rather than being stuck in seats behind a goal with no terracing available as at most grounds, but the view is not as good as the away section at Cappielow.

I’m absolutely not a type to defend my club at all costs and accept that there is a lot to criticise for - for example I have no argument with anyone saying our main stand is one of the worst experiences in the division - but there is f**k all wrong with the Cowshed.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

The next few games will determine whether we’ve got a chance of winning the league.

If it is the play offs then it’s crucial we finish 2nd and have a good run of form at the end of the season to build a bit of momentum.

Judging by our record against Dundee Utd I would fancy our chances against them over 2 legs if we faced them. If it was ICT or Queens maybe less so. The 3 potential Premiership teams we could face are all pretty weak but I think it’ll likely be Accies that will finish 11th and with a full strength team in good form I see no reason why we couldn’t beat them over 2 legs.

Absolutely agree that finishing second is a great advantage. I think United will finish strongly and pip County for the title which would probably help your case imo.

As for playing the Premiership team.  It's very easy to underestimate their ability, especially over two legs.

3 hours ago, Superhursy7 said:

Watching the highlights back confirmed what I though at the game only one team wanted to win

last of all the state of Morton fans singing follow follow get that shit to f**k leave that to the ugly sisters glad to hear our fans boo it down.

Yeah, you’re right. Our players weren’t interested in getting a win bonus, getting closer to the teams above or moving further away from the teams below us, and our manager didn’t want to relieve some of the mounting pressure on him by getting three points. Wot a load of cobblers. You could claim your lot looked more LIKELY to win, fair enough - but “only one team wanted to win”? Bollocks.

And, as mentioned already, you will never hear Morton fans singing “follow follow”.  Some in the Shed occasionally sing  “We are the MORTON boys”, and if you can’t hear the difference go get yer earsight checked.

Absolutely agree that finishing second is a great advantage. I think United will finish strongly and pip County for the title which would probably help your case imo.
As for playing the Premiership team.  It's very easy to underestimate their ability, especially over two legs.

The one big advantage we could have over Hamilton or Dundee etc is they can’t exactly be on good form otherwise they wouldn’t be in that position whereas we could have a chance prior to the playoffs to build up a bit of momentum. Over course whatever Premiership team plays will have played fewer games which should play into their hands but it didn’t help Thistle last season or Hibs a few years before that.

We beat Dundee pretty comfortably earlier this season and I was very surprised how poor they were. I’d imagine they will have improved some what but Queens beat them a couple of weeks ago so maybe not.

I should add that if we’re not going to win the league I’d rather County or Dundee Utd just pulled away and won it. It would be hard to win the playoffs if we suffered a heartbreak in the last week or so of the season. It’s almost impossible to get your players up for a playoff after just missing out on the league title.

4 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

The one big advantage we could have over Hamilton or Dundee etc is they can’t exactly be on good form otherwise they wouldn’t be in that position whereas we could have a chance prior to the playoffs to build up a bit of momentum. Over course whatever Premiership team plays will have played fewer games which should play into their hands but it didn’t help Thistle last season or Hibs a few years before that.

We beat Dundee pretty comfortably earlier this season and I was very surprised how poor they were. I’d imagine they will have improved some what but Queens beat them a couple of weeks ago so maybe not.

I should add that if we’re not going to win the league I’d rather County or Dundee Utd just pulled away and won it. It would be hard to win the playoffs if we suffered a heartbreak in the last week or so of the season. It’s almost impossible to get your players up for a playoff after just missing out on the league title.

Yes, I get your logic. When we reach the play offs a couple of seasons ago, we just ran out of steam. 

It's all weighted for the Premiership teams. Once they split there's a chance that they can build momentum playing against sides their own level for a couple of months.

Interesting times ahead.

Have to say as anything’s better than talking about the game - Johansson calling it a good performance says a lot about what a tragic loser he is - I really don’t understand this.
Somerset is my favourite away ground in the division with terracing and the choice of different areas to stand, but the view from the away section of the Cowshed is considerably better than any of three sides you can watch from as an away fan at Somerset. You get bugger all elevation at any side at Somerset and therefore have a terrible view of the other half of the pitch, a trade off I’m happy to take for being able to stand and move around freely rather than being stuck in seats behind a goal with no terracing available as at most grounds, but the view is not as good as the away section at Cappielow.
I’m absolutely not a type to defend my club at all costs and accept that there is a lot to criticise for - for example I have no argument with anyone saying our main stand is one of the worst experiences in the division - but there is f**k all wrong with the Cowshed.
I quite liked the tightly packed experience yesterday, and you're right about the view in relation to elevation.

Shame it was such a shite game.

1 hour ago, Dunning1874 said:

Agree with this.

In the 4-1 Alba game last season (?) it was pishing down so the fans were undercover behind the goal. Had to rely on the players' reactions to realise that Gary Oliver had scored. Terrible view of the far end of the park.

16 hours ago, MonEhTon said:

I haven’t the will or the sobriety to talk about any comments from page 10 onwards so I’ll discuss the game from what I saw.

Moffat ran the show, whether from his abundant talent or our ineptitude.

Shankland playing with confidence in a system he’s familiar with gives him an extra yard in runs, an extra inch in high balls and an extra idea when nothing’s happening. After Aberdeen it could’ve been a long road to being a nobody and good luck to the boy wherever he ends up.

Ayr play a system they know, they like and it works; no neutral won’t want them to do well. They press high and teams like us who lack confidence on the ball shit the bed and can’t cope.

McHugh is a league 1 striker at best.

McAlister at RB with Tumilty and Kilday on the bench should seal JJ’s fate regardless of our honking performances and form.

Nobody knows whether Tids, absent from starting 11 or bench today, is injured or just persona non grata; this alone should signify that JJ doesn’t know what he’s doing and should disappear.

I’m considering not going to the next home game, which tells me everything I need to know about how bad our plight currently is. I’m not from Greenock, and have never lived there, though the 50 minute journey to see a game is a trip I gladly make in spite of how shite we tend to be. If I’m questioning going to QOTS at home, it must be bad.

TTGJJ.

Ps: still hope Ayr win it.

Why do you support Morton then, as a matter of interest?

2 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

Over course whatever Premiership team plays will have played fewer games which should play into their hands but it didn’t help Thistle last season or Hibs a few years before that.

The team who finishes 2nd in the Championship ends up having played the exact same number of games as the team who finishes the 11th in the Premiership.

The teams who finish 3rd or 4th would have played two games more if they make the playoff final, but as they’ve finished in a worse position than whoever finished 2nd, being penalised for that is fair enough.

2 hours ago, Dr Watson said:

It's all weighted for the Premiership teams. Once they split there's a chance that they can build momentum playing against sides their own level for a couple of months.

As opposed to building momentum playing teams at a similar or lower level for the whole season, like teams in the top half of the Championship do?

Why do you support Morton then, as a matter of interest?

My dad’s from Greenock, his mum (my Gran) still lives there. He grew up supporting Morton and took me from 6 or 7 years old to watch them. Grew up with Rajamaki and Lindberg, they’ve been my team ever since.

15 minutes ago, MonEhTon said:

My dad’s from Greenock, his mum (my Gran) still lives there. He grew up supporting Morton and took me from 6 or 7 years old to watch them. Grew up with Rajamaki and Lindberg, they’ve been my team ever since.

Brilliant. Glad to see that you didn't fall into the same trap as, no doubt, 90% of your classmates and pals did when you were young.

39 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

The team who finishes 2nd in the Championship ends up having played the exact same number of games as the team who finishes the 11th in the Premiership.

The teams who finish 3rd or 4th would have played two games more if they make the playoff final, but as they’ve finished in a worse position than whoever finished 2nd, being penalised for that is fair enough.

I think he means over the last few weeks of the season. 

41 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

As opposed to building momentum playing teams at a similar or lower level for the whole season, like teams in the top half of the Championship do?

Yes

Well dunning you are correct watching from the cow she’d looks pretty decent to me, but I’ll challenge you to try watching in that corner we were  standing in  and squashed in to and you won’t have an argument , and by all means try the other facilities when your there a cow pit gives it a better name.

Tbh I’m not too bothered if the facilities or the view is shite for away fans at Somerset so I can’t complain about any grounds I visit.

Yesterday was fine though. The 5-1 game was more cramped but yesterday was fine and the atmosphere was good.

I quite like Cappielow, however, it’s not used to its maximum I’m afraid. The view from the away end is really poor but if they opened the seating behind the goals it would probably be fine. Toilets were fine better than Somerset. However, £20 is a joke. We change £17, you get a better view but the toilet is not quite as nice. I know which one I prefer....

Since when was a cramped terracing a bad thing? I’d much rather have that than being scattered round a massive big stand in a soulless bin like Stark’s Park, and I’d suggest from the atmosphere at the two games, the majority of the Ayr fans seemed to enjoy it.

I get that a lot of folk in this league don’t like Morton, but some of the stuff thrown at us here’s really scraping the bottom of the barrel, especially considering the nick of Somerset Park.

People in glass houses and all that.

I was in the Cowshed last time (5-1) and couldnt see a thing at the other end. Fortunately all 4 of our 2nd half goals and Crawford's brainfart were at the corner we were in. 

With this in mind, yesterday I sat in the stand (low down) and got a decent view. Atmosphere was less though but view was 100% better.

Quite often the last few game of the top league are meaningless though, so players can be fresh for the one big knockout tie.

It's definetely skewed in favour of the top league.

Since when was a cramped terracing a bad thing? I’d much rather have that than being scattered round a massive big stand in a soulless bin like Stark’s Park, and I’d suggest from the atmosphere at the two games, the majority of the Ayr fans seemed to enjoy it.
I get that a lot of folk in this league don’t like Morton, but some of the stuff thrown at us here’s really scraping the bottom of the barrel, especially considering the nick of Somerset Park.
People in glass houses and all that.

Yep

Cramped in like yesterday actually helps create an atmosphere as everyone is tightly packed together.

Archived