Morton v Ayr

12 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

... Better team but didn't do enough to win it.

First half...agreed....Ayr could..should have gone in at half-time a couple of goals to the good.

Second half Morton had more possession and started to threaten especially after O'Connel was introduced.

I still cant understand why Dykes is selected.He cant play football.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply
First half...agreed....Ayr could..should have gone in at half-time a couple of goals to the good.
Second half Morton had more possession and started to threaten especially after O'Connel was introduced.

Yeah you had more of the ball but did next to nothing with it.

The boy that came on injected a bit of energy into the game but also did very little by way of creating chances or nearly scoring.

We were poor in the second half but Shankland should’ve scored with 5 mins to go which would’ve won it for us.

I thought doc gave the ball away much more than Crawford in the second half, and McCall made the change I'd have made (although not Moore for moff later on).

Moffat is so frustrating as a finisher, but he's our best hope of unlocking a defence. Shankland slightly off the pace today as well, which sums up our overall performance... Better team but didn't do enough to win it.

I liked muirhead at the back, and he made a vital interception late on to get us the point.

All in all a fairly shite game, compounded by the embarrassment of the Morton young team junior junior edition. Holy f**k Greenock, they were truly feral.

Agreed

Muirhead was pretty solid. I thought he looked the stronger of the two centre backs which is pretty impressive given he was alongside Rose.

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

Yeah you had more of the ball but did next to nothing with it.

The boy that came on injected a bit of energy into the game but also did very little by way of creating chances or nearly scoring.

We were poor in the second half but Shankland should’ve scored with 5 mins to go which would’ve won it for us.

Well that's fitba…..quote of the day was an overheard remark from an Ayr fan whilst I was waiting for the bus after the game....."..they dragged us doon tae their level!"...…   :lol::thumsup2:cheers

It got a bit open in the second half, which is exactly what we needed. But both teams were too sloppy with the final ball.

Did anyone get a clear view of the push for the disallowed goal? I agree with a point earlier in that we probably didn't deserve the free kick. But I wasn't looking at the incident so we'll see what the highlights shows.

3 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:
5 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:
Only Ian McCall would sign 2 new wingers in January and play our best centre mid on the right wing :1eye

Murdoch playing on the right? Very strange decision.

Yep, just never worked. We looked like we had been playing 90 minutes of football every day this week. Poorest performance for a while.

That midfield was truly woeful, worst i've seen all season, Cm's didn't win headers or boss anything and wingers created nothing.

Harvie was an absolute bomb scare in that second half and worryingly when the subs came on we actually looked most at danger of losing that game.

Overall a terrible game and simply not good enough, changes needed for next week IMO.

Strangely I don't remember Harvie being that bad today and I also don't remember anyone commenting on him during the game either.

Anyway, on reflection a draw away to a Morton side who are difficult to beat isn't a disaster, especially when you're not at your best yourself.

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

“One of the many pushes by Ayrs forward line”

Did you even watch that game today? Shankland didn’t get a chance to push anyone with Buchanan constantly having his arms round him. I mean we all love Shankland but trying to cuddle him for 90 minutes is a bit much. And if any defender is allowing themselves to pushed by Michael Moffat then they should retire immediately.

I’m not even convinced there was a push. There was no argument from Morton players when the ball went in the net and everyone just looked a bit confused when the ref blew for it.

Standard colour glasses.

As I was in line with event looked a push to me. Not as bad a CL where if you breath on a player they collapse.  I wondered what  Shugie Murney would make of it all.

To be fair you probably were suffering from a lack of oxygen cramped in that away crowd. 

Standard colour glasses.
As I was in line with event looked a push to me. Not as bad a CL where if you breath on a player they collapse.  I wondered what  Shugie Murney would make of it all.
To be fair you probably were suffering from a lack of oxygen cramped in that away crowd. 

How were you in line with it when it was at the opposite end of the ground from the home fans. Unless you were in one of the away sections?

County left Cappielow with no points a few weeks ago.
You lot are the only team out of the top 3 to take 3 points from us at home!

I meant more a game we dominated by all accounts, as opposed to simply the fact it was Morton away. If you’re going to win a tight title race you need to find a way to win those sort of games. Points will be dropped when the other side are the better team on the day so you can’t afford to drop any when they’re not.

1 hour ago, WATTOO said:

Strangely I don't remember Harvie being that bad today and I also don't remember anyone commenting on him during the game either.

Anyway, on reflection a draw away to a Morton side who are difficult to beat isn't a disaster, especially when you're not at your best yourself.

I think he’s been poor defensively for a wee while now. He can put a cracker of a cross in but as soon as someone runs at him all he backs off all the way to the byline.

Enough good opportunities to win the game, to win the league you need to pick up 3 points at places like Morton. Defensively Ayr were fairly solid although I do agree that Harvie wasn’t at his best. Midfield was a bit open when Docherty went off. McDaid was wasteful in the final third. I like the look of Cadden and Miller and maybe we should start them v Dunfermline. 

Archived