Morton v Ayr

Doubt we'll rattle 5 passed them again at Cappielow but they'll need to come out more than they did at Somerset last time when they got 11 behind the ball and parked the bus. The two week interval will give us time to integrate the new players more and by then McCall will know who's ready and who isn't. Muirhead looked good against Alloa but Bell is a good option in a defence or midfield so who knows on that one. As for Morton - don't think they've done that badly since MacKinnon walked out on them, so why the negativity about JJ? Still reckon MacKinnon is a dogshit manager and he's lucky Falkirk seem to think otherwise. 

Probably should have posted this on the Alloa vs Ayr thread but....thank heavens we have a decent keeper at last in Ross Doohan. The boy oozes potential so I hope Scott Bain continues to do well at Celtic :whistle and so we try and get Doohan for next season as well.  He's still learning but he's quality already.      

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

The game at Somerset was baffling, down to 10 men and they stayed with a back 5.

Even with ten men you were probably still dangerous on the break which is why we didn’t open up with the extra man.

7 hours ago, Jazzar said:

Doubt we'll rattle 5 passed them again at Cappielow but they'll need to come out more than they did at Somerset last time when they got 11 behind the ball and parked the bus. The two week interval will give us time to integrate the new players more and by then McCall will know who's ready and who isn't. Muirhead looked good against Alloa but Bell is a good option in a defence or midfield so who knows on that one. As for Morton - don't think they've done that badly since MacKinnon walked out on them, so why the negativity about JJ? Still reckon MacKinnon is a dogshit manager and he's lucky Falkirk seem to think otherwise. 

Probably should have posted this on the Alloa vs Ayr thread but....thank heavens we have a decent keeper at last in Ross Doohan. The boy oozes potential so I hope Scott Bain continues to do well at Celtic :whistle and so we try and get Doohan for next season as well.  He's still learning but he's quality already.      

I've been more patient than most with JJ, but it does very much feel like we've been heading backwards. The more he puts his stamp on the team, the worse we seem to get. The win against Ross County seems like the best that we can hope for at the moment - a defensive, spoiling performance with a chance of nicking a goal. The win against Thistle the week before helped us massively, but it was also just about our worst all round performance of the season. We're not going to pick up many points playing the way that we're playing. 

The frustrating thing is that it doesn't have to be so bad. Our defence is very ropey, and will always be inclined to giving away chances, but there are strengths to bring out of the team. He's not getting the best out of our best players, and not even starting Tidser at the moment. It's like Levein's Scotland team. He's got the players all convinced that we're so bad at the back that we couldn't possibly commit to pressing forward. The cup loss hasn't helped. Going by his interviews he didn't seem to think that we could have done anything other than the 5 at the back defensive performance we went with at East Fife . 

This feels a bit like now or never for JJ. He's  got a couple of weeks with the squad with his new signings to put his mark on things. He's not going to have many fans on his side if we have a bad month. 

15 hours ago, Jazzar said:

As for Morton - don't think they've done that badly since MacKinnon walked out on them, so why the negativity about JJ? Still reckon MacKinnon is a dogshit manager and he's lucky Falkirk seem to think otherwise.   

We realistically need 3 or 4 wins from our remaining 13 games to be safe. We’ve only won 2 of our last 11 and we’re getting progressively worse as time goes on.

Look at any kind of form table covering the last 6-12 games and we’re in the bottom two. The clubs below us have all either sacked their managers already, started making up ground on us without a sacking, or done both.

At one point we were 14 & 15 points clear of 9th & 10th respectively, it’s now fallen to 7 & 8. We are clearly on a downward trajectory and are sleepwalking towards a relegation which would be on a par with Raith’s 16/17 collapse. It’s happening while Johansson misuses and ostracises our best players while being routinely tactically outclassed. Dunfermline continuing to capitulate in an even more embarassing fashion than us currently looks like our best chance of survival, and having had the sense to change their manager there’s no guarantee they’ll continue to struggle as we do.

We have been absolutely hopeless under him, he is absolutely clueless and if he keeps his job until the end of the season we are absolutely fucked. 

20 hours ago, SpoonTon said:

The win against Thistle the week before helped us massively, but it was also just about our worst all round performance of the season.

I can't begin to think how bad that was  if it was worse than your showing against us at Cappielow. And at least you won ffs!

21 minutes ago, Jazzar said:

I can't begin to think how bad that was  if it was worse than your showing against us at Cappielow. And at least you won ffs!

We played quite well in that match for about an hour, and would have been ahead if we scored with the penalty. Then Tidser and Millar went off injured and our defence completely fell to pieces. It was one of the worst 20 minutes that I've ever seen a team play, that's for sure. 

The performance against Thistle was a bit of the opposite, the centre of the defence having a rare good day and the rest being a disjointed mess. Thistle have been kind to us this season with the gifts they've given us. 

20 minutes ago, SpoonTon said:

We played quite well in that match for about an hour, and would have been ahead if we scored with the penalty. Then Tidser and Millar went off injured and our defence completely fell to pieces. It was one of the worst 20 minutes that I've ever seen a team play, that's for sure. 

The performance against Thistle was a bit of the opposite, the centre of the defence having a rare good day and the rest being a disjointed mess. Thistle have been kind to us this season with the gifts they've given us. 

I was just about to post similar - we only went 2-1 up in 73 mins or so and up until then the game was anybodys - and as you say, had Doohan not saved the penalty Morton may well have gone on to win.    

That said, the last collapse in the last 17 mins was utterly spectacular - if you'd said to be after 72 mins at 1-1 that in 25 mins time i'd be on my way out the ground feeling a wee bit disappointed it was only 5-1......

I'd take any win here. Won't be easy as i'd imagine JJ will set out the exact same as the 0-0 at Somerset.  Hopefully now we have the extra options in Miller and Cadden plus Moff and Shankland both fit and back scoring we will have plenty to break it down. 

2 minutes ago, Naeleftfit said:

With County playing East Fife on  15/2, it gives Ayr an opportunity to go top of the league should they win at Morton. Would be great to put the pressure on RC before going to Dingwall on 26/2

Some odds those.

13/1 Ayr to win in Dingwall :o

1 hour ago, SpoonTon said:

I thought we were comfortable in that game until Crawford had a brainfart, then you were ok for a spell.

56 minutes ago, Naeleftfit said:

With County playing East Fife on  15/2, it gives Ayr an opportunity to go top of the league should they win at Morton. Would be great to put the pressure on RC before going to Dingwall on 26/2

Never thought of that actually, would help if they got further in the Scottish cup aswell which they've got a good chance of doing.

23 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

I thought we were comfortable in that game until Crawford had a brainfart, then you were ok for a spell.

Ayr undoubtedly started the better team, but I thought we grew into the game and just about looked like the team more likely to win it early in the second half. I wasn't worried about Ayr scoring again until they did, and then I was worried that they'd never stop scoring. 

Archived