Arbroath vs Stranraer

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DC doesn’t know what his best starting 11 is, thats the current problem, the subs were bizarre. Gavs game was off tonight - it happens, why not put on Whatley? He’s not had a chance since his injury when he was a prime atribute for our consecutive run first half of the season. Also for Stevie becoming the 5th choice striker is beyond me. Donnelly brought nothing, everyone lumping the ball up to him (guessing because his height) done nothing, he looked like bambi on ice tonight, not physical presence at all, ok link ups but that’s it.  Spence missed atleast two/three  sitters - if Wallace had missed them he would be accused of being shite or Stevie would be accused of not being sharp enough.

As for the booing, it’s diabolical as a supporter win or lose. 

if wallace missed the chance spence had in the first half the cries from the stand would of been unreal or if doris missed it he is not sharp enough. swankie was poor again tonight as was gold and can somebody please tell me what donnelly brings to this side to me dc is trying to justify spending money on him by playing him when there are better players on the bench. totally agree with 1320s description drunk giraffe.

Overall on chances we deserved the draw and should/could have won, we hit the bar their keeper had some good saves (as did DJ) and we missed some sitters, never agreed with the starting XI and thought Wallace and Pongo both played well when they came on, Spence looks a good player as well, too soon to judge Donnelly but i do not think he looks fit, at one point after he had been on the pitch for only 10 minutes a Stranraer went haring past him to win the ball.

Best for us was TOB/Ricky/Bobby/and McKenna.

Stranraer seem to have a superb record at Gayfield so this was always going to be a sticky game but we still have a 13 point lead.

Also agree the "fans" who booed at the end do not have a clue.

My verdict on the new signings is: Wallace has to start. I’m baffled by these different strike pairings every week when we have easily the best in the league in Wallace and McKenna.
Like the Forfar game the midfield was lacking. Whatley should play. He gives 100% as does Gold. We really lacked that commitment tonight.
I didn’t hear the boos but I’m not surprised. The last 45 was the worst we have played this season. If we’re going to win this league then it’s time to go back to the side which got us where we are.

47 minutes ago, Plesslitchie said:

DC doesn’t know what his best starting 11 is, thats the current problem, the subs were bizarre. Gavs game was off tonight - it happens, why not put on Whatley? He’s not had a chance since his injury when he was a prime atribute for our consecutive run first half of the season. Also for Stevie becoming the 5th choice striker is beyond me. Donnelly brought nothing, everyone lumping the ball up to him (guessing because his height) done nothing, he looked like bambi on ice tonight, not physical presence at all, ok link ups but that’s it.  Spence missed atleast two/three  sitters - if Wallace had missed them he would be accused of being shite or Stevie would be accused of not being sharp enough.

As for the booing, it’s diabolical as a supporter win or lose. 

At lest the ref done you a favour stonewall spot kick.

Would never bring whatley on when we need a goal, McCord over him any day of the week, that said I actually think there’s a shout to play whatley on Saturday. Would be tempted to go back to McKenna and Wallace also, not sure Spence did enough but still early days with him. 

Stranraer seem to do really well at Gayfield, the delivery for their goal from the left was top drawer.

Going by the highlights of the Stranraer goal the marking is woeful to allow a free header and I feel Jamieson could have done a bit better instead of pushing the ball into Turners path. Maybe I’m just being hyper critical with that though

I actually felt both McKenna and Spence had relatively good games last night, although Spence should really have scored and some of McKenna's decision making can be frustrating they both put in good shifts. However, neither of them were involved in the scoring of any goals. Goals win football matches. We have a player with the 6th most goals in the division, the most assists and importantly we have the following record with/ without him:

Ryan Wallace on the park - we average a goal every 39 minutes.

Ryan Wallace on the bench/ subbed - we average a goal every 56 minutes.

It is absolutely no coincidence that we have a far better record of scoring goals when we have the player who scores/ creates so much for us playing.

We've had two main players attacking wise this year - Bobby Linn and Ryan Wallace. While Bobby is now being doubled and tripled up on by defenders he is obviously going to struggle and we're now making it harder for ourselves by dropping the other player involved in all of the goals. With Bobby so heavily marked, why are we then continuing to negate ourselves by not playing the only other player we have to be involved in a large amount of goals this season?

Obviously there are also some issues with the service the strikers have been receiving since the turn of the year, but the facts are there for all to see......

Watching the highlights there, We were absolute terrible in second half, Gold and Swankie really struggled,  The back 4 were so exposed, 

I thought Spence held the ball up well in first half but also went missing in 2nd half, Although he had no service, Wallace created and looked really lively when on, DC has to be careful with selection, we had a good team spirit and had the team that got us where we are, so many players in forward positions to keep happy, 

On Saturday I agree Swankie needs a rest and would be tempted to start with Whatley, 

100% think DC will start with Donnelly and Wallace up to and put McKenna on the wing 

Excellent draw for Stranraer last night and a confidence booster for our game on Saturday against Dumbarton.Going by reports we were denied an obvious penalty,we remain on one penalty for the season, just how our luck is at the moment.The ref was Craig Napier that probably explains it,but he'll be fast tracked by the SFA and will soon be on phone-ins being berated by old firm fans.The 2 benches said it all for me last night and shows where we are at the moment.The lichties had a bench full of experience,we had 3 kids and Mark Lamont,so a point was very admirable as we are down to a Skeleton never mind bare bones Well done to all blues fans who travelled again last night after the debacle on Saturday,thank god only 2 more trips to Angus this Season .In the way of booing of Arbroath last night by some eejits,wait till they get one or 2 beatings in the Championship next season,they'll be in meltdown.

Looking back at the highlights it’s unbelievable that we didn’t score 3 or 4 in the first half, saying that jamieson has pulled off two great saves so the warning signs were there. Very poor goalkeeping for the equaliser.

DJ made one mistake and it was punished, life of a keeper. Thought he was excellent other than that though and the guy also got way too much space for the initial header too. The save in the first half one of the best I've seen was right behind it and thought he had no chance getting it.

Second half has gave me a hangover today, frustration levels up there with that Edinburgh City home game we lost 1-0 when we won League 2

Can't help but feel it's all bubbling up to a good result Saturday though

Bit too early to start panicking, but only 8 pts out of the last 18, cause for concern. Don't  think the new guys have been much of an improvement, just seem to have upset the team rhythm. 

Couldn't understand  putting Mckenna out on the wing, needs to be in the thick of things.

DC has hinted after the match that he will make changes for Saturday.

All teams have a tip in form and last night Arbroath struggled in the 2nd half - but a draw is still a half decent result and 2 league defeats all season is an incredible record.

Agreed that the new signings need time to settle and have yet to offer anything better than we already have ( still think we should have kept Hester too ).

The league is still wide open at the moment, a 13 point league is fantastic, but not enough to secure winning the league - think we would need an 18 point league before being confident of winning the league, but having a 13 point lead is brilliant.

Regarding the booing, we are talking about a maybe 2- 3 thickos who are a complete embarrassment to themselves - they are not real fans.

Bobby Linn was my MOTM .

Raith need to watch their backs as Forfar are looking good for catching them.

Archived