Arbroath vs Stranraer

There are a number of different ways of kicking a ball. Hitting up on it, hitting down on it, accelerating through it or hitting at a constant. They will all impact height and more importantly spin rates and the ball will behave differently.
You can tell I play too much golf in strong winds, the same principles of aerodynamics apply to footballs as golf balls.

Course there are, but there aren't many different ways to try and kick a ball 60 yards other than put your foot through it.

No too sure he's concerned with the spin of it and no too sure it would matter when the ball was in the air and in the wind unless he'd managed to keep his goal kicks just above head height.

It wasn't just him doing it either, most of our players had a go kicking it with the same result

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It did go for a corner, which Stranraer then overhit and it went out for a goal kick.
What seems to be lacking is ways of thinking differently when faced with non-standard conditions. The Arbroath keeper could have tried different things like taking the spin off the ball, or passing out, but seemed determined to persist with the same kicking style as if it was flat calm.

Arbroath are masters at playing in windy conditions at Gayfield. If they were struggling today it was clearly unplayable.

Heard it was a conspiracy from Arbroath to get fans to buy pies before calling the game off, an East Fife fan told me so. Arbroath should donate all the money made on towards Stranraer’s travel or forfeit the 3 points. 

Heard it was a conspiracy from Arbroath to get fans to buy pies before calling the game off, an East Fife fan told me so. Arbroath should donate all the money made on towards Stranraer’s travel or forfeit the 3 points. 

Agreed mate

Has there ever been a game called off because of forecasted weather? Fans need to be realistic here, as disappointing as it is, if it was playable at 2pm-3pm then it’s obvious it should’ve went ahead. Unlucky the wind picked up soon after. 

16 hours ago, Muzza81 said:

What a wee bee in your bonnet you have:lol:

Disagree. (With the point by Mexico) With weather forecasts becoming more accurate, I think it’s time to make early decisions (based on probabilities) regarding whether a game goes on or not. Club finances and also customer cost/satisfaction need be primary considerations rather than merely following antiquated rules to the letter. Common sense?

Time also to raise the hoary old issue of summer even though yes wind can come at any time of year

Archived