Arbroath vs Stranraer

7 minutes ago, Lichtie78 said:

Presume we will be able to get a refund at a later date?no intention of standing about in a howling gale

I’d think not, otherwise anyone could go down and try to get some cash in hand!  The announcement clearly said hang on 5 minutes or so to allow them to get refunds organised. An absolutely ridiculous decision by the ref to start the game. It’s been windy since yesterday, forecasters got it right, ref didn’t! 

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not surprised that the game was abandoned, more surprised that it actually started.

I think the forecast was that the winds would ease during the afternoon so maybe the club should have stood everyone a drink at the bar then kicked off the match again at 4 o'clock when the wind had dropped.

Feel sorry for Stranraer and their travelling support, it's a long way to come and the club probably could have done without  the extra cost involved of coming back again for a midweek re-match. They should ask the ref to compensate them for the cost of their coach hire. 

Can't believe the ref abandoned that. Yes it was windy but I've seen matches finish in much worse conditions. Swap ends at half time and its difficult for both teams.

Also found it strange that Arbroath don't issue any proof of purchase when entering the ground, anyone could have queued up and got a refund, or got a refund then gone straight to the back of the queue to get another £15, or paid a concession then got an adult refund. I was right at the front of the queue so didn't have to wait that long.

Well that sounds like a farce. Again it’s the fans who are left counting the cost.

Embarrassing and shambolic decision to start the game by the sounds of it.

Feel for those who made the trip, particularly the Stranraer fans, that’s a big journey for that to happen. Safe travels home to those who’d made the journey, both sets of fans.

I've seen some video of the wind on twitter and it's amazing thaty they even tried to start the game.  The Arbroath goalie had a kick out that the wind blew back for a Stranraer corner!

This really blows for the fans who made the trek to the stadium, especially Stranraer fans

Utter joke. Conditions hadnt changed from 1.30pm. Our goalie was managing ok in warm with his kicks but the arbroath goalie struggled. We didnt have many fans maybe 10-15 and committee. We had guys from Durham, Glenrothes, Edinburgh, Ayr, Troon and Glasgow. Not many all the way from Stranraer.  Why start it. Forecast was for gales. Wont be back for rearranged game. 

2 minutes ago, mid-table said:

Can't believe the ref abandoned that. Yes it was windy but I've seen matches finish in much worse conditions. Swap ends at half time and its difficult for both teams.

Also found it strange that Arbroath don't issue any proof of purchase when entering the ground, anyone could have queued up and got a refund, or got a refund then gone straight to the back of the queue to get another £15, or paid a concession then got an adult refund. I was right at the front of the queue so didn't have to wait that long.

Tbf one of the Arbroath keepers   clearances almost ended up as a corner to Stranraer. Wonder if the managers were consulted pre game as to whether they were happy to start the game and see how it went, but at the end of the day the ref had to call that of before it started.

1 minute ago, keptie said:

Tbf one of the Arbroath keepers   clearances almost ended up as a corner to Stranraer. Wonder if the managers were consulted pre game as to whether they were happy to start the game and see how it went, but at the end of the day the ref had to call that of before it started.

It did go for a corner, which Stranraer then overhit and it went out for a goal kick.

What seems to be lacking is ways of thinking differently when faced with non-standard conditions. The Arbroath keeper could have tried different things like taking the spin off the ball, or passing out, but seemed determined to persist with the same kicking style as if it was flat calm.

6 minutes ago, mid-table said:

It did go for a corner, which Stranraer then overhit and it went out for a goal kick.

What seems to be lacking is ways of thinking differently when faced with non-standard conditions. The Arbroath keeper could have tried different things like taking the spin off the ball, or passing out, but seemed determined to persist with the same kicking style as if it was flat calm.

He couldn't pass it out 'cause Stranraer were pushing up on the defenders but the  very fact his clearance went out for a Stranraer corner pretty much tells it's own story.

Well he couldn't have passed it because the Stranraer players would just stand on our back 4 as soon as he had done that. What do you mean by taking the spin off the ball?

Can't blame DJ for his kicking ffs.

6 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

What do you mean by taking the spin off the ball?

There are a number of different ways of kicking a ball. Hitting up on it, hitting down on it, accelerating through it or hitting at a constant. They will all impact height and more importantly spin rates and the ball will behave differently.

You can tell I play too much golf in strong winds, the same principles of aerodynamics apply to footballs as golf balls.

There are a number of different ways of kicking a ball. Hitting up on it, hitting down on it, accelerating through it or hitting at a constant. They will all impact height and more importantly spin rates and the ball will behave differently.
You can tell I play too much golf in strong winds, the same principles of aerodynamics apply to footballs as golf balls.
But why should he have to? If he wanted to blooter it, why shouldn't he?
If he kicks it and it goes out for a corner that's the keepers problem, but if he wants to kick it again after that then that's his prerogative.

4 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

But why should he have to? If he wanted to blooter it, why shouldn't he?
If he kicks it and it goes out for a corner that's the keepers problem, but if he wants to kick it again after that then that's his prerogative.

Totally agree. The keeper made it difficult for himself by failing to adapt to the conditions and think about whether he needed to do anything differently.

When would be best for me to coĺlect my £15 you reckon ?

47 minutes ago, Blue1870 said:

Utter joke. Conditions hadnt changed from 1.30pm. Our goalie was managing ok in warm with his kicks but the arbroath goalie struggled. We didnt have many fans maybe 10-15 and committee. We had guys from Durham, 

I've went past a Stranraer fan a few times on the A68, long old drive for him. 

Even thinking it’s the keepers fault for getting game abandoned is hilarious,  Sure he though ah f**k it I’m gonna kick this out and give a corner for a laugh,

Game should of been called off this morning,  absolute shambles for all fans especially Stranraer and all the players and folk in hospitality,  

I’d think not, otherwise anyone could go down and try to get some cash in hand!  The announcement clearly said hang on 5 minutes or so to allow them to get refunds organised. An absolutely ridiculous decision by the ref to start the game. It’s been windy since yesterday, forecasters got it right, ref didn’t! 

Not really game for waiting any more time than I need to in that weather

Please never post again

Archived