The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

Naturally we are fearful after hearing this sort of thing in recent times. But for me it’s a positive news story at a time when apathy is high. It surely eases concerns about the commitment of the board for many? Big summer coming but let’s try to be positive [emoji815]️[emoji815]️

This hopefully will be a positive move, buy only if those full time players are be treated as full timers, and not like last time when the then full time players spend half the week on the golf course and were still humped on the Saturday by part timers

happy with that tbh, they are looking at the future of the club in a real view of gettin us up out of this hell hole of a league.

This leagues your level

So after a bad season full time and a bad season part time you're trying the half and half route

That's a (much needed) statement of intent from the board. While it's no guarantee of success, provided it's properly funded and we have a better scouting network in place (which I have faith we will under Millar and Murray) then it could be a real difference maker. It also seems infinitely more sensible than the full-time three year plan under Wotherspoon. 

Either way, I'm just pleased the board are (ostensibly) committed to improving the on-field product and are taking steps to do so.  Will be interested to see what the tin foil hat brigade have to say...

8 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

This leagues your level

So after a bad season full time and a bad season part time you're trying the half and half route

He didn't say it wasn't? 

This has, deservedly, been our level for years. But naturally like all football supporters we want our team to do well and play at the highest level it can. Presumably like you wanted for Arbroath at the start of this season (congratulations btw). If the board and management feel this step will help us get promoted then it's their prerogative to go for it. And as supporters, we can be happy or sceptical about it but all have the hope that it will lead to success. 

He didn't say it wasn't? 
This has, deservedly, been our level for years. But naturally like all football supporters we want our team to do well and play at the highest level it can. Presumably like you wanted for Arbroath at the start of this season (congratulations btw). If the board and management feel this step will help us get promoted then it's their prerogative to go for it. And as supporters, we can be happy or sceptical about it but all have the hope that it will lead to success. 

The way it was phrased seemed to make it sound like Airdrie were above this league, I want Arbroath to play at the highest level possible, but as a club with a support of about 750-800 (similar to Airdrie) the top half of League 1 is probably our level

Calling your natural level a hell hole of a league seems strange

Could understand it if you were stuck in League 2

Anyway best of luck with it atleast you're trying something new. Murray seems like the kind of boy that would want more time coaching

The way it was phrased seemed to make it sound like Airdrie were above this league, I want Arbroath to play at the highest level possible, but as a club with a support of about 750-800 (similar to Airdrie) the top half of League 1 is probably our level

That’s roughly been the size of our support during the poorest run of form the club has seen in about 40 years (no “but you’re Clydebank” patter please).

I imagine we would see at least a 50% increase in our crowds if we managed to get back to just being mediocre.

That’s roughly been the size of our support during the poorest run of form the club has seen in about 40 years (no “but you’re Clydebank” patter please).

I imagine we would see at least a 50% increase in our crowds if we managed to get back to just being mediocre.

Would never bring out the Clydebank patter

And personally think that's wishful thinking going up would possibly even reduce crowds due to getting beat most weeks

If we're stranded in 10th next season I imagine we will have less home fans than we'd have had for a game against East Fife or whatever this season

Also, I meant to say earlier but has it been confirmed by Dougy, the club or anyone else that he's left his commercial manager position? (And I don't mean by the usual attention seekers on Facebook). Because if not it seems a bit off to be discussing his employment situation and the circumstances surrounding it, as has been the case for the last page or two. Maybe give it a rest. 

Would never bring out the Clydebank patter

And personally think that's wishful thinking going up would possibly even reduce crowds due to getting beat most weeks

If we're stranded in 10th next season I imagine we will have less home fans than we'd have had for a game against East Fife or whatever this season

But my point is that we’re down to the diehards already. No-one is coming to see Airdrie for feel-good factor these days.

And short of having a 2017 - 18 Brechin season, anything will seem like an improvement.

Plus, depending on who’s in the Championship at the time, there would be some solid away crowds coming through.

But my point is that we’re down to the diehards already. No-one is coming to see Airdrie for feel-good factor these days.

And short of having a 2017 - 18 Brechin season, anything will seem like an improvement.

Plus, depending on who’s in the Championship at the time, there would be some solid away crowds coming through.

Aye. This'll be the big bonus of the championship for us. Especially if Dundee and United are in the league. Still think pushing at the top end of League 1 is enjoyable though

Also, I meant to say earlier but has it been confirmed by Dougy, the club or anyone else that he's left his commercial manager position? (And I don't mean by the usual attention seekers on Facebook). Because if not it seems a bit off to be discussing his employment situation and the circumstances surrounding it, as has been the case for the last page or two. Maybe give it a rest. 

He has definitely left the club.

1 hour ago, AFC1878 said:

Hybrid? What a load of bullshit. Better off staying part-time with good part-time players IMO!

Hybrid (if it can be made to work) is absolutely the way forward for us. At the level we’re at/aspiring to currently (top half L1 or bottom half championship) the pool of players available will be a mix of part and full timers, why reduce the options unnecessarily? Murray is full time too, so it shouldn’t require changes on that front. With all the gloom around the club over the last few weeks, this could be a shot in the arm if Stan and the manager can make it work.